Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Arrested for dangerous driving help

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Bogger77 wrote:
    It seems to be that the OP doesn't have a full license, secondly, the car was not his, it wasn't registered in his name. It was his dad's, if we're to believe him. That's based on what he's said in this thread, but going on other postings, where he's been "boasting" of cruising up the N11 from Brittas at 170kph, it's unlikely that it was his first time being stopped.

Not surprising he was brought in while they checked him out.
    That would explain a lot.
    junkyard wrote:
    There is even a sport called auto testing which I myself have taken up lately and believe it or not it is great fun. That said from reading some of the posts here some people don't seem to know the meaning of fun. I will add its all carried on in a controlled environment before I get hammered for my irresponsible views.
    As you say its in a controlled environment. I track my car in Mondello and am able to do last minute braking, slides, etc. but it is all controlled and in the knowledge that there isn't someone standing nearby. I may be fast on the road but not (what I percieve) as stupid, nor do I try and do Mondello type speeds/turns on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

OK girls lets all calm down and give each other a hug

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Agreed. I feel this thread has had the effect of venting some long held views that had'nt been aired for a while!

And just to make it clear for late-commers I banned drdre for abuse not being a daft kid.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Yeah I stopped reading this thread a while back, just got too blah blahy:rolleyes: Mikes post was only a line or 2 so I read that;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Well i've spent a solid 30 mins + readin the whole thread. If drdre was in an industrial estate he was on private property and dangerous driving laws do not apply on any surface other than a public road as far as i know.

He was just havin a bit a fun, he did it in an area where he was extremely unlikely to hit anything let alone injure anyone, but it's not to be recommended and i do think he was talkin through his ar=e though. stability control is what you can have on the Golf and i think stability is slightly different from traction, but why would you bother. The Golf is also such a heavy car that a 1.4 engine would do well to get it down a hill at 180-190 with the wind behind it.

But it would be a good idea to set up a place where people can do "donuts" whatever....... where a surface tailored to this could be laid, to cut down noise tyre wear etc....

I would much prefer he do it there than at lunchtime at a school or any other puiblic road. Someone said that the Gardaí were in the car park/ind. estate or wherever/ cos he "thinks" thats where he was caught (or dreamt he did it), but according to him the saw him when they passed so they weren't in there.

Is he just making things up to provoke people's amusing responses.

I will also say that of the people killed on Irish roads so far this year, less than half were under 30, according to the RTÉ News tributr to them on Jan 31st. So big nelly get your facts straight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

If drdre was in an industrial estate he was on private property and dangerous driving laws do not apply on any surface other than a public road as far as i know.

Unless drdre states what industrial estate he was in,the above means nothing.
    Most estates(if not all) are not private property.A companies land within the estate could be deemed private property but I doubt he sought permission from the company owner if he could act of maggot on their property.
    Most estates in Dublin are built up around open public roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Waterford Industrial estate is clearly signed as private property, no dog walking, no tresspassing etc. Not a public place imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Kermitt

Did Dr Dre Pm anybody else to call them a fool.. I have no problem with the fact he accepted he made a mistake, but his attitude is bothering. I don't think the thread was supposed to be a name calling childish one. I think we're all agreed that it's the attitude towards acting the mick in public places thats gettin people fired up.

ninty9er wrote:
    Well i've spent a solid 30 mins + readin the whole thread. If drdre was in an industrial estate he was on private property and dangerous driving laws do not apply on any surface other than a public road as far as i know.
    This differs from a previous post (by Seamus) which said the legal interpretation is that if the public can get in then its a public place.
    ninty9er wrote:
    He was just havin a bit a fun, he did it in an area where he was extremely unlikely to hit anything let alone injure anyone, but it's not to be recommended and i do think he was talkin through his ar=e though. stability control is what you can have on the Golf and i think stability is slightly different from traction, but why would you bother.
    I wasn't there but I wonder how many spectators were there standing around watching the antics. Given that the idea of donuts is to reduce traction under the back wheels so it can spin then an inexperienced driver could well lose control and plough into the crowd. There are plenty of video clips of this sort of thing around the internet.
    ninty9er wrote:
    But it would be a good idea to set up a place where people can do "donuts" whatever....... where a surface tailored to this could be laid, to cut down noise tyre wear etc....
    Brilliant idea. Who do you suggest pays for it? Who pays the massive bill for insurance cover?
    ninty9er wrote:
    I would much prefer he do it there than at lunchtime at a school or any other puiblic road. Someone said that the Gardaí were in the car park/ind. estate or wherever/ cos he "thinks" thats where he was caught (or dreamt he did it), but according to him the saw him when they passed so they weren't in there.
    I would much prefer that it was done in a controlled environment, where it isn't a concern to local residents and also whereby there isn't a crowd of onlookers standing in a dangerous position egging a driver to exceed his/her own abilities.
    ninty9er wrote:
    I will also say that of the people killed on Irish roads so far this year, less than half were under 30, according to the RTÉ News tributr to them on Jan 31st. So big nelly get your facts straight
    Given that something like 50 people were killed in jan thats still a huge number!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

ninty9er wrote:

If this is the case could the arrest be for trespassing?

• Advertisement

dbnavan wrote:
    ninty9er wrote:

If this is the case could the arrest be for trespassing?

You can't be arrested for trespassing like this.

ronoc wrote:
    dbnavan wrote:

You can't be arrested for trespassing like this.

private property is private property so yes you can!

It is covered under anti-social behavior laws

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

If it's an area where people can walk through without any permission or warnings then how can it be safe to experiment in your car there?

I used to work in an industrial estate & on the odd occassion that i'd be doing overtime or working late, i'd have to walk home through it.
    Why should i have to jump out of the way of these morons?

The whole private property argument is fine as long as you have the permission of the owner of the property & anyone who may be passing through is forewarned!

An official practice area'd be grand in theory but how many little boys who go to a karate class never practice anywhere except within the 4 walls of the class? Or never show off & end up hurting someone?

Go down the country to some organised event or unused field with the owners permission & enjoy yourselves, but stay the fu(k away from anywhere people should be walking, driving, sleeping, passing through etc!

It's stunning how many dumbasses have computers & cars!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 goodfella867

I used to work in an industrial estate & on the odd occassion that i'd be doing overtime or working late, i'd have to walk home through it.
    Why should i have to jump out of the way of these morons?

Try walking on the footpath.

I doubt he'll get a ban, just points and a fine.

Try walking on the footpath.
    Good idea as a car going out of control is unlikely to mount the path!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

kbannon wrote:
    Good idea as a car going out of control is unlikely to mount the path!
    Yeh, that'd just be ridiculous!

goodfella867: Try realising that most road deaths are accidental & so drivers should be more careful & responsible whilst driving to avoid accidents.
    [edit: slight personal abuse (calling him a moron) removed]

dbnavan wrote:
    ronoc wrote:

private property is private property so yes you can!

It is covered under anti-social behavior laws

No you can't. Criminal trespass, which was only introduced a few years ago to keep the travellers at bay, is the one where the gardai are allowed to arrest someone if they don't move on.

And this is typically after 24 hours, so no you can't arrest some someone for trespassing in this situation. There are a host of other laws the gaurds can use like to move him on in this case but arresting him for trespassing is not.

ronoc wrote:

No you can't. Criminal trespass, which was only introduced a few years ago to keep the travellers at bay, is the one where the gardai are allowed to arrest someone if they don't move on.

And this is typically after 24 hours, so no you can't arrest some someone for trespassing in this situation. There are a host of other laws the gaurds can use like to move him on in this case but arresting him for trespassing is not.

Fair enough how about Anti-Social Behaviour?

dbnavan wrote:
    Fair enough how about Anti-Social Behaviour?

Don't think any such laws cover that in this country.

Anti social behavour laws cover housing I thought, might be wrong. Time to get a gaurd in here I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Junior

Some of ye should really go for Pope, seriously !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Junior wrote:
    Some of ye should really go for Pope, seriously !
    The smell of 'Holier than thou' in here is overpowering.... I'm not checking this thread anymore.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

The smell of 'Holier than thou' in here is overpowering.... I'm not checking this thread anymore.

'cptr
    Are you guys for real? It would not be hard to be holier than this guy. Have you seen his previous posts? His passtimes include going as fast as his little car will take him and doing HB turns.

I refuse to believe that someone who thinks it is cool to do 180kph doesn't do anything else a bit risky. TBH this is the best thing that could have happened to him. Maybe he will catch himself on before he kills himself or someone else.

You know every Monday we hear of fatalites over the weekend? You know the way there is always one or two where it is a young driver who seems to have lost control and hit a ditch or a post, no other car involved? Well, they come from the OP's gene pool.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I'm not checking this thread anymore.

'cptr

Aw gawd,

How will we manage without him.....

:rolleyes:

prospect wrote:
    Aw gawd,

How will we manage without him.....

:rolleyes:
    Hmmm, I smelled sarcasm and came back for a look. Why don't you all go over here and give out to this person who lost control and crashed the first time they tried to drive - maybe they were near a school or a maternity hospital? Don't bother offering advice, just tell them to give up and leave the driving to the experts. Whoever they are...

'c

I am bailing out too, this is just going nowhere

'cptr
    Hmmm, I smelled sarcasm and came back for a look. Why don't you all go over here and give out to this person who lost control and crashed the first time they tried to drive - maybe they were near a school or a maternity hospital? Don't bother offering advice, just tell them to give up and leave the driving to the experts. Whoever they are...

'c

I thought you were a man of your word :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Private property vs Public roads

The road through the industrial estate, may not be owned/maintained by the Local Authorities, but if the road is open to general public access for 365 days a year, then it's classed as public roads and the laws of the land apply to them.

Thats why most industrial estates have security gates. Close the gates for one day a year, it becomes private road.

kbannon wrote:
    I thought you were a man of your word :D
    You're just looking to tarnish my reputation after my 'BMW drivers self-pleasure themselves' comment last week. I'm addicted to this damn site - I couldn't stay away even if I wanted to. But I see dbnavanman is in After Hours discussing Internet love - if he can change, so can I....

Oh sorry, I actually meant to say 'bite me...!' ;)

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

'c

I certainly would give him sh1t. Very unfortunate but everyone has to learn how to drive. At the same time, it kind of does make the case for learning to drive in a proper instructors car with dual controls.

The OP was being an ass. Whilst everyone has to learn, and us more experienced drivers should give them the support and consideration they need, everyone does not have to drive like an ass.

There is a world of difference between someone driving like a knob and crying 'cos he got caught and a learner crunching his bonnet. One I have sympathy for and for the other I have nothing but disdain. I am sure you can work out which is which.

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

'c

Ha haaaa
    I didn't really mean it, but I just knew you had to come back for a wee look-se :D

no offense dude.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement