Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Arrested for dangerous driving help

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

prospect wrote:
    no offense dude.
    None taken. Damn, I looked in here again...

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

None taken. Damn, I looked in here again...

'c

You're not really 40 are you? :confused::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yes but he's hanging on to wreckless youth like grim death.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Bogger77 wrote:
    but if the road is open to general public access for 365 days a year, then it's classed as public roads and the laws of the land apply to them.

Thats why most industrial estates have security gates. Close the gates for one day a year, it becomes private road.

I'm not so sure about that. One can drive through hospital and airport grounds 365 days a year but that does not make them public roads - they are still private property.

mike65 wrote:
    Yes but he's hanging on to wreckless youth like grim death.

Mike.

But doesn't he drive a sh1tty little orange Fiat sh1ttychento... I see him nearly every week on the tuam road!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

JohnCleary wrote:
    But doesn't he drive a sh1tty little orange Fiat sh1ttychento... I see him nearly every week on the tuam road!
    Now now John, you drive a nasty old-fashioned Honda clone with a distasteful body kit - no kettle/pot comparison is appropriate enough.

As for my age, I'll be driving brightly coloured, overpowered cars until I die so its not really relevant - I'm planning blowing my SSIA on a yellow Lotus Elise (my wife keeps muttering something about kids college fund though...)

'cptr

P.S Mike65 - my youth wasn't wreckless, there were lots of wrecks. My middle age however isn't reckless, but mostly feckless. Can we club together and buy you a spellchecker? ;)

Dude, I thought you were about 20 or something, just from your mechanical interest.. no offence was intended, I thought we could have been friends :( *tear*

And, my car has nothing to do with honda and I do NOT have a bodykit, the bodywork is standard, except I smoothened out the recess bits on the front bumper so it looks a little more 'smooth', so NEH!
    Now now John, you drive a nasty old-fashioned Honda clone with a distasteful body kit - no kettle/pot comparison is appropriate enough.

As for my age, I'll be driving brightly coloured, overpowered cars until I die so its not really relevant - I'm planning blowing my SSIA on a yellow Lotus Elise (my wife keeps muttering something about kids college fund though...)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

O.P., I suspect that you were nicked to put the wind up you and that you may never see a summons.

Be very careful about everything you do in or out of the car for the next few months. You are probably somewhere in the famous PULSE system and if you come to attention again you might get closer scrutiny.

Do not make any statement if invited to do so. Remember that you have no obligation to incriminate yourself !!

If you are served with a summons or summonses go straight to your solicitor as there seem to be a few arguable points that might be contestable.

If you are prosecuted under S. 53 (Dangerous driving) but the judge does not feel that there is enough evidence to convict you will be acquitted. However, if the judge considers that the evidence justifies a conviction of careless driving (S. 52) you can be convicted of that offence although not actually charged under S. 52.

I am not sure about the rules these days for summonses. It certainly used to be the case that a summons had to be served within 6 months of the alleged offence. Someone please advise ?:confused:

If 6 months pass without seeing a summons you are probably alright. If so, please don't get cocky about it !!!!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

NUTLEY BOY wrote:
    O.P., I suspect that you were nicked to put the wind up you and that you may never see a summons.

Be very careful about everything you do in or out of the car for the next few months. You are probably somewhere in the famous PULSE system and if you come to attention again you might get closer scrutiny.

Do not make any statement if invited to do so. Remember that you have no obligation to incriminate yourself !!

If you are served with a summons or summonses go straight to your solicitor as there seem to be a few arguable points that might be contestable.

If you are prosecuted under S. 53 (Dangerous driving) but the judge does not feel that there is enough evidence to convict you will be acquitted. However, if the judge considers that the evidence justifies a conviction of careless driving (S. 52) you can be convicted of that offence although not actually charged under S. 52.

I am not sure about the rules these days for summonses. It certainly used to be the case that a summons had to be served within 6 months of the alleged offence. Someone please advise ?:confused:

If 6 months pass without seeing a summons you are probably alright. If so, please don't get cocky about it !!!!!!!!!!

If he was charged he will never receive a summons.

A charge is a statement accusing you of the offence, he would then be released on bail from the garda station to appear in court at a later date set by the garda who was charging him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

They are private grounds, but are open to the public. Therefore are covered by Dangerous driving, due care and antention, drink drving and insurance laws as the M50. Airport/ports maybe covered under sperate reg's as they have their own police force.

Basical rule of thumb, if it's not your land, or you don't have written consent from the owner, don't do burnouts, doughnuts.

Remember: excessive reving of engine, Beeping horn and even loud music can be covered under existing laws, and it doesn't matter if your sitting in your own 200 acres field, with no neighbours. The cops or local authority can take action. Example, Sitting in car parked in your garage, with door closed, loud music thumping away. Counts as Public Nuisance, esp after 11pm. I know that several of the local boy racers were cautioned for excessive loud music.
    Then again, they caught 3 of them the same week, driving more than 90mph on N roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Chief--- wrote:
    If he was charged he will never receive a summons.

A charge is a statement accusing you of the offence, he would then be released on bail from the garda station to appear in court at a later date set by the garda who was charging him.

Thanks for that Chief---. I did not know the formal procedure. If you don't mind please could you clarify the various procedural ways that the Gardai might get you to court as it would be a handy piece of information to know if a person gets nicked - especially petrolheads !!!

Thanks.

NUTLEY BOY wrote:
    Thanks for that Chief---. I did not know the formal procedure. If you don't mind please could you clarify the various procedural ways that the Gardai might get you to court as it would be a handy piece of information to know if a person gets nicked - especially petrolheads !!!

Thanks.

Only ways you can be brought to court.

Summonsed, charged and bailed, or in custody.

Summonsed you get a registered letter or else its personally served on you.

If you are charged anytime after 5pm in the evening you can be held overnight in custody and brought to court the next day (in custody), if the next day is a sat or sun a special sitting court would be organised.

you can be charged and bailed (released on bail) from a garda station to appear at a later court date.

Whether you are released or held in custody is at the discretion of the gardai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Back from my ban!!

guys just want to thank the guys that placed some useful comments on my thread as i stated on thread that useful comments only.

and to the rest of you guys with not useful comments:( .

only kidding:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

(Guess who's back)
    Still, still doing that sh1t, right?

Oh for sho', check me out
    It's still Dre Day, A.K.
    Before I chrome the lot, can't keep it home a lot
    Cause when I frequent the spots that I'm known to rock
    You hear the bass from the trunk when I'm on the block
    Ladies, they pay homage, but haters say Dre fell off

Sorry, I had to:P

Any news on the summons mo fo?

cormie thats a good one:D

yeah i got the summons for court the day i got caught.
    im up on 1st march 10.30am.
    hope the cop doesnot make it in time as then i am free.;) (this has happened to afew people i know so hope im lucky like them)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Be interesting to know what happens.

tempest-i'd also be interested to know what happens;) . im talking to a criminal solictor tommrrow to explain my situation.
    hope i get out of it as i have learnt my lesson now

Its not a criminal offence, its a road traffic offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

I thought dangerous driving was a criminal offence?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Road Traffic Offence ==> Criminal Offence, what else would it be?
    Hardly a civil matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

Bogger77 wrote:
    Road Traffic Offence ==> Criminal Offence, what else would it be?
    Hardly a civil matter.

Why not? It depends on how the statute in question is phrased.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Not all Road Traffic Offences are considered criminal offences. Speeding fines, parking fines, etc are traffic offences, but aren't criminal offences.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭emma6606

Hi,
    Listen dont worry bout it, when your in court be nice and polite to the judge, explain that you made a mistake and learned your lesson. If its your 1st conviction they might let you off with a warning...
    Ring the Legal Aid Board and see if you can make a free appointment with one of the legal advice people, they'll tell ya what to expect and what to say.
    www.legalaidboard.ie

and here's a goverment link on driving offences:
    http://oasis.gov.ie/transport/motoring/driving_offences.html

Dont be worrying anyway, whats done is done. just try to show them that you know what you did was wrong.

Besta luck!!
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

Is this still going on? surely he has been in court by now? If not, the OP is banned so he cant tell us how he gets on, not sure the joy has internet anyway LOL ~joke~

is time to get the padlock out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Kersh wrote:
    Lord, it would have been half worth it if it was a Tuscan or something.
    I think they do need some sort of evidence. Then again if the cctv was there, maybe they do.
    They don't need evidence, it's the guard's word against his. And who do you think the judge is going to believe?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

mike65 wrote:
    drdre u r banned for personal abuse.

And before you ask why I dont' ban Dublin Writer he is only saying what appears to be correct - that you're an idiot for driving in such a fashion on a public road.

Frankly I'm suprised your surpised at the response.

Mike.

Spot the irony

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

dbnavan wrote:
    Is this still going on? surely he has been in court by now? If not, the OP is banned so he cant tell us how he gets on, not sure the joy has internet anyway LOL ~joke~

is time to get the padlock out?

Just to correct myself, before someone else does, he is no longer banned, lets hope driving bans last longer then boards bans, :D

guys the best person on the thread so far that has helped me is emman606.thanks alot for that info

i will contact and get the free legal advise.

and guys im not banned anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

seamus wrote:
    Not all Road Traffic Offences are considered criminal offences. Speeding fines, parking fines, etc are traffic offences, but aren't criminal offences.
    Isn't stealing a car a RTO rather than a criminal offence?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement