Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemical Engineering Design Q

• 13-02-2006 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

Hey guys Im a Chem Eng student and I have this design assignment due soon. I'm just wondering if anyone has some relevant links or suggestions that could help me a long a little. Here's the question:

"Design a knock-out pot for a plant producing acetone. Acetone is produced via catalytic dehydrogenation of isopropanol. Following a gas-phase reaction at 450 C, the reaction mixture is cooled to 90 C in a partial condenser. The two-phase mixture from the condenser is sent to a knock-out drum to seperate the phases at a pressure of 10 bar g."

Basically it then asks to calcuate properties of the shell (thickness, etc.), heads, insulation etc.

Like i said Im stumped and any help offered would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭pauln

It sounds like a simple enought pressure vessel design question, if you provide some more info I'll try to help more.

What kind of a shape it this "knock-out drum" ? Is it a cylinder or some other shape?

I take it by shell you mean the wall thickness, what exactly is the head?

What kind of material will it be made from, stainless steel (any particular type of stainless steel because of the reactions taking place)?

Not sure what's ment by the insulation bit but if you can give me what you know then I'll see if it makes more sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭pimpy_c

pauln wrote:
    What kind of a shape it this "knock-out drum" ? Is it a cylinder or some other shape?

The shape can be anything. One of the questions is to decide on a shape and then the reasons why.
    pauln wrote:
    I take it by shell you mean the wall thickness, what exactly is the head?

Yeah wall thickness is right. I think the head is the closures for the vessel
    pauln wrote:
    What kind of material will it be made from, stainless steel (any particular type of stainless steel because of the reactions taking place)?

Again the material is up to me. Just have to pick one and then say why. Stainless steel probably would be the best choice.

I'm not really looking for a solution to the assignment but instead a push in the right direction. I've googled reactor design and not much comes up so if you know of any links or books (UCD library probably has it) it would be an enormous help.

Advertisement