Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dogs...

Options
  • 13-02-2006 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

recently, the number of dogs roaming around my estate during the day has shot up. when i say recently i would say about the last 3-6 months.

all the dogs seem to have collars on and so i know they are not wild. however they roam around pissing and ****ting on everything, including my grass and driveway. Other than being ready to feed them with some heavily loaded steak full of something that will stop them from coming back, can I call the dog pounds or something and get them to come out and take the mutts away?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Yes, the dog warden can round them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Think this problem is pretty much everywhere, if you know who some of the owners are it might be worth while asking them to keep their dogs in eg coz they are fauling outside your house, if the dogs are taken by the pound they will have 5 days before they are put to sleep if the owners don't come for them.

The law says dog require a proper id tag and a collar and are not allowed to roam so you have a right to call the warden. Perhaps the warden will call to the houses in your area and give people 24 hours to take their dogs in and keep them in, it's the owners that should be punished for being so careless.
    Not sure how the dog warden works in your area but might be worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

Stick some kind of a note in their collar (assuming they have one of course!) saying that if they don't keep the dog in it could end up being taken in by the dog wardens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Maybe you could kidnap them and offer them back for ransom? It seems to work for al-Qaeda?

Seriously - yes, people are irresponsible and stupid and shouldn't be allowed to keep dogs if they do this.

On the other hand, I recently met an elderly dog trying to cross the Terenure road against a stream of dangerous traffic, having brought himself for a walk in Bushy Park. We rang the number on his ID tag and brought him home, and his owner was even more elderly and creaky than he. What can you do....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

thanks for the replies, i am down in cork so will have a look for the local warden.

i am a dog lover despite my annoyance at their mess, but it if the owners cannot look after them then they should not have them....i mean when does a group of dogs become a pack? how easy for that pack to turn on one of the many kids that are playing on our dog fouled green areas in the estates? at least my cats **** and piss in my back garden in an area provided for them.

it is atypical i think of dog owners though, either they think it is okay to have a dog and leave them in the backyard all day (as per my next door neighbour, poor wee thing, lucky he has my cats to keep him company) or they let them out to roam the neighbourhood creating a mess and havoc wherever they go. The owners should be fined, prodded with a cattle stick and have their pets removed from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

There were two dogs running up and down the tracks at my local train station today.

And my cat is dead because some dog's careless and irresponsible owner let it run loose around the town, and it decided to run into our garden and savage my cat.
    You wouldn't believe the argument we had with the owner that letting the dog tear around the place whenever it feels like it is careless. He insisted that he was a responsible owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Apple Gal

No don't call the warden! Just talk to the neighbours,it's not nice for the poor doggy!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

If they are irresponsible enough to let a dog roam of it's own accord, and too stupid to check the local pound(s) if it goes missing.. then they really shouldn't have the dog in the first place.
    Although, I do like the note in the collar thing (No way a dog would put up with it for long though - maybe a barrel/extra tag?)

Apple Gal wrote:
    No don't call the warden! Just talk to the neighbours,it's not nice for the poor doggy!:eek:

There are several dogs of unknown neighbour origin and i am not wasting my time going looking for them.

• Advertisement

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Apple Gal wrote:

The thing about it is if the warden catches them and they are not claimed in a certain length of time they will be put down.

On the other hand, however - some neighbours dont give a fu*k and i believe something should be done about it (maybe take the law into your own hands??)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

In the small village near where I live there are up to 11 dogs running around, about 3 have collars and the traffic is brutal. One jumped into my car when I was opening the door with no encouragement, almost blind, almost deaf with unspayed (lots of unneutered males in the area) and with mammary tumours (and a bit stinky) turns out the dog was 14 years old!

No collar no ID tag.
    Had her spayed and the tumours removed I thought she was mabey a dog dumped because of perhaps a new xmas puppy in the household. Owner turned up in the end..much loved dog but why would u let an almost blind and deaf dog out on their own on a busy road...bound to get killed.
    They still leave the other dog out...some people just don't think and some just don't care.

Many a time I have been tempted to call the dog warden, before we managed to fence of our garden (expensive job) to A. Keep our dogs safe and B. to keep all the unneutered males from crapping in it and trying to get at unspayed female ont he other side (our dogs are spayed) they were such a nuisance..plus don't know what the owners are feeding them all but their poop was like slurry.

Same with cats around here, people just don't care. Im suprised a person hasn't been knocked down on our road never mind the dogs.

*rant over* ahh that's better:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Apple Gal wrote:
    :(

The OP probably has better things to do with his time than track down owners that probably won't give a ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

I live in dublin 22 (clondalkin).
    I cannot even *begin* to count the amount of roaming dogs around here, I see at LEAST three EVERY time I go to the local shop.
    I cant even get near them to get them to the local rescue as most are dangerous if ya get too close, and pretty much all of them are scared of the chair, (a lot of dogs are at first).
    Makes me sick.

Just this week, a (PB) chocolate labrador (very young), has been wandering around, spoke to several neighbours who say it actually belongs to somone, not a stray, they let it out from 8am and it apparently "comes home" at night.
    (Apparently this familly are not people who would take kindly to a "quiet chat" and have threatened rescue orgs).

People say it like thats a *good* thing or a talent?!?! :(

b

I still ain't happy about it all,but I suppose you adults know best!:( :(:(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 729 ✭✭✭crazy angel

call the warden, if the owners care for their dogs they can still call up and claim them back within a week.

If the owner was on holidays would they still after 5 days put the dogs to sleep?

Apple Gal wrote:
    If the owner was on holidays would they still after 5 days put the dogs to sleep?

If the owner was on holidays and they had left the dog out then do you think they would really care?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Many dogs that end up in pounds make it out alive, either rehomed or taken out by rescues (note i said many, by no means all). But if a dog does end up being put to sleep is this not better than leaving it to roam the streets hungry and possibly dying a horrible death on the road?

Allowing your dog to roam is against the law and i would have no problem whatsoever in contacting the warden in relation to such dogs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement