Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Locked out of XP Pro - why can't I install Linux instead?

• 13-02-2006 5:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭

About 2 months ago I installed Windows XP Professional on my laptop in anticipation of getting a wireless ADSL modem up and running. I installed it from the same disc that I installed XP on my desktop from but I didn't active it. Today I turned on the laptop (after it lay idle for a few weeks) in order to set up wireless networking I've found myself locked-out (activation period expired).

I rang MS help and I was told that I was a very bad boy for trying to install my copy of WinXP on more than one machine (I was under the misapprehension that the XP EULA allowed you to use it on 2 pcs - based on misunderstanding of the bit about two PROCESSORS on one machine). I offered to buy another license but as far as I can see this will involve buying a new copy of XP for the Laptop. Even if I decide to splash out €230 for the privilege how am I going to install it if I'm locked out?

So not being a complete masochist I've decided to install Mandriva Linux on my laptop. I've already done this on an old desktop and it went like clockwork without a single problem. So I got my mandriva installation cds out and tried to get it onto the laptop but it still ignores the mandriva cd and goes into the "Microshaft has hijacked your computer you mug" screens which prompt you to activate windows. How do I bypass this and get into the Linux installation?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Have you got your boot order setup correctly in the bios?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

It's not a matter of getting around a hijacked PC, don't worry about it.
    You've still got complete control, there's no trick to it apart from making sure a bootable CD is loaded before the BIOS starts booting from the harddrive.
    Windows doesn't even come into the equation until it starts loading from the harddrive.

It just sounds like either:
    A). Your BIOS options are set to boot from the harddrive before the CD drive
    B). The mandrivia CDs are not bootable for some reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

petes wrote:
    Have you got your boot order setup correctly in the bios?

How do I get at that? Is it one of the "F" keys? F8?

I've tried them all but Microsoft hijack of my property doesn't seem to allow that

A). Your BIOS options are set to boot from the harddrive before the CD drive

could be - how do I get at that?
    B). The mandrivia CDs are not bootable for some reason

same discs I installed onto a desktop pc from so surely must be bootable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

What model of laptop is it? When you switch on your laptop there should be a message " press .... to enter setup" usually the backspace key or F2 on mine. Depends on the computer. While in there find the option for boot order and ensure that cd is first in the list. Put your cd in and restart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

pork99 wrote:
    could be - how do I get at that?

same discs I installed onto a desktop pc from so surely must be bootable?
    usually [DEL] or [F2] keys
    under basic cmos settings menu,
    change boot order,
    save and quit, reboot

pork99 wrote:
    I've tried them all but Microsoft hijack of my property doesn't seem to allow that
    Could be F1, could be DELETE... there's no standard key for it, (but I generally find it's DELETE) ... you have to do it the second the PC comes on... just keep tapping it.
    Again, this is before Windows even gets a look-in, so there's nothing they're doing to stop you entering the BIOS setup... during "POST", where you see your ram ticking up on the black screen... or if you've got some manufactuers splash-screen as is the case with DELL.

petes wrote:
    What model of laptop is it? When you switch on your laptop there should be a message " press .... to enter setup" usually the backspace key or F2 on mine. Depends on the computer. While in there find the option for boot order and ensure that cd is first in the list. Put your cd in and restart.

It's a Toshiba Satellite 3000 - I've tried DEL and F1 - they don't work. Waiting for it to shut down to try F2 and backspace now

pork99 wrote:
    It's a Toshiba Satellite 3000

wrong there - it;'s a Satellite 5000-104

According to http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/cgi-bin/ToshibaCSG/faq.jsp?service=UK&FID=0000000401
    # The BIOS cannot be accessed via boot up on these systems. To make changes to the BIOS setting on these models please use the Toshiba Hardware Setup utility located within Control Panel. The BIOS settings can be reset to their default valies by booting the system up and holding down the‘Esc’ key, then press F1 to reset to default settings when prompted.

# Satellite 5xxx

I'm screwed :mad:

If you reset to default bios settings you should be able to boot from the cd.
    If you take the attitude you're screwed you'll never fix it,
    theres nearly always a way around...

• Advertisement

rkm wrote:
    If you reset to default bios settings you should be able to boot from the cd.
    If you take the attitude you're screwed you'll never fix it,
    theres nearly always a way around...

It's back at the default setting and it is still bypassing the CD

Maybe I could crack the activation? Not what I want to do but if they treat people who give them money for their products in this retarded fashion they are inviting this sort of abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

pork99 wrote:
    Maybe I could crack the activation? Not what I want to do but if they treat people who give them money for their products in this retarded fashion they are inviting this sort of abuse.
    *cough cough* !

[strike]What's the default order/list?[/strike]

Karoma wrote:
    *cough cough* !

What's the default order/list?

I can't see it!

at this point i would remove the hard drive and see what happens
    see if it will boot from cd...

rkm wrote:
    at this point i would remove the hard drive and see what happens
    see if it will boot from cd...

it could be that the CD drive is a bit faulty? I have an external usb cd drive but it won't boot from that either (can't get into BIOS to change anything)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

start your laptop in safe mode and activation is bypassed

weeder wrote:
    start your laptop in safe mode and activation is bypassed

excuse my ignorance but how is that done?

bear in mind that this is after the period for activation has passed

press [F8] after the dell screen, before the windows boot screen

Jesus remind me never to buy a toshiba, can't believe they're locking out the CMOS setup... what retards :rolleyes:
    There might be a secret key combo for it though, that they just give to the techs... I'd try some creative googling on the matter ;)

Got in in safe mode - should be able to work from there - there is meant to be a utility in the control panel to change bios setting but I can't find it

CD drive seems to be malfunctioning which could be the root cause of the problem. It would be handy if I could swirch the boot order to boot from the F drive (external cd drive)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭niallb

If you can boot from floppy, try downloading the Smartboot manager
    floppy disk image
    using another PC if possible, and copy
    it to a floppy using the instructions on the page.
    It's a really useful tool, and will give you a menu allowing
    you to boot from any bootable device on your system.

TAB will give you a menu, you may need to rescan devices
    to get a menu matching your laptop.

You're probably already sorted, but if you remove
    your windows partition and can't change the BIOS,
    this might come in handy in future.

Good luck with the machine,
    NiallB

niallb wrote:
    NiallB

I think I need to find someone who does Toshiba laptop DVD drive repairs.

I found the WinXP Home OEM CDs (overwrote that with XP Pro just after I bought the laptop - surprised I still have them). Got CD 1 installed but the CD drive sat down on CD2 so I now have a semi-installed OS. So I'm off the the Laptops board to get advice on repairs. Thanks for all your advice - very helpful :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭niallb

pork99 wrote:
    I think I need to find someone who does Toshiba laptop DVD drive repairs.

I've been known to do that!
    Sometimes damn awkward.
    Some toshibas won't detect a replacement drive which is set to slave,
    as it doesn't bother looking if there's no master on the channel.
    Some drives change their slave/master state during a firmware
    update if you can think of any reason to do one...

If you can boot from floppy,
    give the smart boot manager a shot.
    I'd be surprised if it didn't let you then boot from your USB cdrom.

NiallB

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Fulmar

Had a similar problem with my desktop which was due to a corrupted MBR - no matter what I did in the BIOS Windows 2k sp4 loaded and hung -> MBR problem was caused by bad RAM due to a voltage spike.
    Neither PM or PR would fix it.
    I eventually downloaded Ultimate Boot.iso, using Deepburner to burn the ISO and used the UB xfdisk.exe program to reinstall my MBR. ISO runs under Linux, as Fdisk.exe is W98 dos based it is not as powerful as xfdisk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

I think if you use a MS startup disc (win98 will do) and boot using this. At the prompt A:fdisk /mbr this should restore windows to the mbr which Linux probably overwrote.

jaqian wrote:
    I think if you use a MS startup disc (win98 will do) and boot using this. At the prompt A:fdisk /mbr this should restore windows to the mbr which Linux probably overwrote.

It's WinXP Home that I've got half installed (it's the OEM software - I had my previous employer's bulk licensed copy of WinXP Pro installed previously, was trying to replace that with my own XP Pro copy when things went arseways). Decided to try that as it was only on 2 cds whereas Linux is on 3

All I've can see now is a DOS screen that says "Insert system disc"

Have you tried inserting the XP disc when it says this? What happens?

Did winXP stop half way thru installing? Can you retry it?

What are the current problems? Have you the BIOS sorted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

niallb wrote:
    If you can boot from floppy, try downloading the Smartboot manager
    floppy disk image
    using another PC if possible, and copy
    it to a floppy using the instructions on the page.
    It's a really useful tool, and will give you a menu allowing
    you to boot from any bootable device on your system.

TAB will give you a menu, you may need to rescan devices
    to get a menu matching your laptop.

You're probably already sorted, but if you remove
    your windows partition and can't change the BIOS,
    this might come in handy in future.

NiallB

Thanks for that got me round a problem with a shagged cd drive

• Advertisement

jaqian wrote:
    Did winXP stop half way thru installing? Can you retry it?

What are the current problems? Have you the BIOS sorted?

Got a new DVD/CD drive installed (cost me a fair whack as well) but I still cannot get past the Toshiba screen going into

Insert system disk in drive
    press any key when ready

I've tried boot from the cd drive and from this in the usb floppy drive

http://www.bootdisk.com/txtfiles/xpquick.txt

but whatever I try I'm not getting anywhere

The HD should be working ok - the HD indicator lights up anyway so must be ok?

If I see the Toshiba logo the BIOS must be there?

(I should take this over to the Laptops board - it's not really a Linux issue at this stage)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭deimos

Jesus remind me never to buy a toshiba, can't believe they're locking out the CMOS setup... what retards :rolleyes:
    There might be a secret key combo for it though, that they just give to the techs... I'd try some creative googling on the matter ;)

hmmmm,
    http://code.box.sk/newsread.php?newsid=1182

They probably just stop natural user interaction but for updates and alike there must be some form of writing and reading. Also, I would suspect they would abide by a standard, so there will probably be some ad hoc wasy of doing it like above.

"H&x0r d3 pl&n3t 31337 3lit3rz pwn'ed" and all that malarch.

Advertisement