Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Crime Writers.

Options
  • 13-02-2006 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

The lady is into Irish Crime books and the like, and I want to suprise her by getting one she hasnt read. However I cant quite remember the name of the book.

Its something like 'Here nor There' but I could be getting it mixed up with Bill Brysons book.

Does anyone know what I am talking about or can the recommend a good book with subjects like Gangland Ireland etc.

P.S - She has already read Paul Williams 'Gangland' so thats out...

THanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Not being smart but any crime novels I've read that are set in Ireland were pretty dire

I'd recommend John Connolly
    www.johnconnollybooks.com/
    He's from Rialto but sets all his stuff in New England, its top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

I read Cormac Millar's "An Irish Solution" and thought it was pretty good, kept me turning the pages. It's crime fiction if that's what she wants, basically its main protagonist works for a CAB type organisation, a good read.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Just finished reading this book on crime in Ireland. Its just out and called 'Minor Offences, Ireland's Cradle of Crime' by a guy called Tom Tuite.
    Unusually it focuses on juvenile crime and shows where the crims start out. A real glimpse at the darker side of Irish youth and good page turner to boot. Hope that's of use to you. Here's a useful link with more info.
    http://www.gillmacmillan.ie/Ecom/Library3.nsf/CatalogByCategory/D8AF394F9C16B1D48025726D004722E5?OpenDocument

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Go into Easons and look on the bestseller shelves, and you'll find a bunch of non-fiction books - there's one, called Minor Offences, I think about how good boys go bad.

If the mot likes fiction, try her on In the Woods by Tana French - superb. Reviewed here: http://heatseekers.blogspot.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 crimewriter

There's a lot of good new Irish crime fiction out there right now, folks - Gene Kerrigan, Declan Hughes, Tana French, Brian McGilloway, Ken Bruen ... for tons more, see Crime Always Pays. Cheers ...

• Advertisement
Advertisement