Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB Monopoly ?

Options
  • 13-02-2006 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

is ESB a Monopoly or has it been opened upto competition like Eircom and the phones ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I am not sure but it may not be technically but practically it is. What drives me mad is the ads on TV for the ESB, why are they pissing away money on ads, money that is got from customers for overpriced electricity. What is the point of ads? are you going to go "oh, I must turn on some lightbulbs today". I would not mind if the ads told you how to save energy but few do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

The ESb has been split into two units - ESB Networks that look after the power lines and distribution and ESB Supply that generates and supplies electricity. Therefore the environment exists for new suppliers to come into the market. There seems to be only a few - Airtricity and Veridian being the only ones I've heard of and they seem to be aimed at business users more than domestic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

Targeting business over residential - strange choice !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I believe the ESB ads are not telling you to turn on light bulbs.. the opposite is actully the case.. they want you to turn them off... to replace with CFL bulbs etc and try and reduce how much you use... why?? Because our grid is probably near capacity and you can only get so much electricity from fossil fuels!

I wish Airtricity would open to the public though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Saruman wrote:
    I believe the ESB ads are not telling you to turn on light bulbs.. the opposite is actully the case..
    yes some do. Others are just crappy ads showing the countryside like an ad for milk or something. Since many power station operate at a loss all their ads (if any) should be about power saving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭KeithMur

Saruman wrote:

I wish Airtricity would open to the public though.

The last I heard was that they charge exactly the same as the ESB. The savings are in the environment, apparently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Irishdudedave

No the ESB do not have a monopoly...It is a similar situation to Eircoms network. As far as I know companies can buy electricity from ESB Networks at wholesale prices and sell it to customers with their own profit added on. Currently the only providers offering this to residiential customers are ESB Customer Supply, and Airtricity...both of which have the exact same price per unit.
    There are loads of energy companies offering it to business (Something about higher usage therefore huge profits compared to the lower usage from households) such as Bord Gais Energy Supply and many others.

Advertisement