Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This is annoying!

Options
  • 13-02-2006 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

My insurance is just about up from last year where I paid Tesco €1430 and was very happy with that price compared to the €3,600 I paid the year before.

So I now have 2 years NCB, I have passed my full test and have also passed ignition since I paid €1430 for the premium.

On the leaflet they sent out with the renewal form, they say that Ignition is 20% off and stage 2 of the NCB is 20% off (stage 1 was 10% off so another 10 off the 1430 now).

My mileage is lower than before and I'm a year older.

So lets put these into account

€1430 - 10% NCB (€143) and 20% (€286) Ignition = €1001.

What's my renewal quote they give me? €1219.43:mad:

This is reminding me of my service with UTV Clicksilver, great price 2 years ago but I'm leaving now for BT who give a much better deal.

So who should I try to get a quote with?

21 years old,
    1.1 l car
    2yr NCB
    Full licence with Ignition
    0 Penalty Points
    1-5K miles py

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Try insure.ie. Also ring up Tesco and explain that you are about to jump ship and they may give you a better quote. I did it last year and got another €100 off my original qoute. Worth a try anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

Give Quinn a ring...I'm 22 with 1Yrs NCB drivin a 1.4 for only €1,183

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

Dingatron wrote:
    Try insure.ie. Also ring up Tesco and explain that you are about to jump ship and they may give you a better quote. I did it last year and got another €100 off my original qoute. Worth a try anyway.
    I did the Ignition course too but Hibernian could'nt come anywhere near the quote Quinn gave me....they were €500 dearer! I was kinda pissed off with Hibernian considering that I had done the Ignition course yet one year later I could go to another insurance company who have no history with me and get a better quote off them

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Get a new business quote off Hibernian Direct website. It may surprise you.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Do you reckon it would be better to keep offline and ring and price compete between the companies or are online quotes generally the cheapest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Buying insurance is exactly the same as buying anything else. Get quotes from everyone. Every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭rsta

try quoteline too im with them and they are pretty good, when i passed my driving test i rang them up and they refunded me over 200euros, (happy days)

quoteline

also ive heard www.123.ie has competitive rates too.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Your renewal quote is bad, because you now drive a much older car. Some older cars (>10 years or so) get loaded...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Hibernian certainly do load any car over 10 years old, and I would hazard a guess that the rest of them do too, insurance companies being the money grabbing bastards they are.

Just trying tescos online quoting system again. Year is having no effect, 91 and 98 have no difference in price. A 1l is €70 cheaper than a 1.1 though, this still doesn't add up though:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

Do you have a girlfriend? As I'm moving in with mine I decided to get quotes with and without her on my policy. With Tescos, without it was €1,500 TPFT and a little under €1,100 with her on it. 24, Full License, 1 year NCB, 1.4 Hyundai Accent

cormie wrote:
    Just trying tescos online quoting system again. Year is having no effect, 91 and 98 have no difference in price

Maybe not with Tesco, but I know several insurance companies load old cars

You should really ring all insurance companies AND all brokers. Will take a couple of hours, but you're likely to get a substantial saving

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

I got a quote from brittoninsurance for the following

Full License <1
    1.4L 16v
    NO NCB
    €1014 Third Party

unkel wrote:
    Maybe not with Tesco, but I know several insurance companies load old cars

You should really ring all insurance companies AND all brokers. Will take a couple of hours, but you're likely to get a substantial saving

Yeah I think that's the next step!

I don't understand this "spouse" savings thingy. Do I actually need to prove I'm living with a girlfriend? And is she supposed to have her own car or be insured on mine too? I don't have a current gf I'm afraid so can I still try this or would it make my insurance void? I find it a strange way of reducing a premium!

cormie wrote:
    I find it a strange way of reducing a premium!

It might not make logical sense, but insurance is based on actuarial data, not logic. A young man in a steady relationship is statistically less likely to cost the insurance company money, hence the lower premium

Hmm. So can I just get a friend and ask if they want to be my spouse? Am I going to be insuring them on my policy which will then allow them to drive my car, or will the spouse need their own car and already have their own policy? How can a 21 year old single chap living at home get around this?

Advertisement