Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postgrad Work

Options
  • 13-02-2006 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of any universities that are looking for Computer Science Phd students prefferably with funded projects or universities that have strong commercial links?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

I don't know what specific area of CS youre interested in. However if you're interested in Semantic Technologies or Natural Language Processing then have a look at the DERI group. They have some very interesting projects. Their based out of NUIG and affiliated to HP.
    I'll be attending a paper given by one of their group in San Jose in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭PDD

I tried to get in contact with someone from the group to see if they would be interested in taking me on to do a type of fringe project. I have an idea for a project but its more geared toward a business application. Its essentially dynamic MVC-II but Im sure some spin could be put on it to make it into a decent CS endeavour. Do you know who I could talk to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

PDD wrote:
    I tried to get in contact with someone from the group to see if they would be interested in taking me on to do a type of fringe project. I have an idea for a project but its more geared toward a business application. Its essentially dynamic MVC-II but Im sure some spin could be put on it to make it into a decent CS endeavour. Do you know who I could talk to?

If you have received a top position or 2nd place in your degree class then www.ircset should be looked at, they will fund you with 16500 into your pocket each year for 3 years plus pay your fees and buy computer and pay other expenses. Application form should be up on their web site in another month or 2 max.

Any PhD won't be starting until October anyway, not many would be recruiting this time of year I would say.

DERI are good, they are into sematic web only though I think. You could try www.it.nuigalway.ie (try Jim Duggan) or www.ee.nuigalway..ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

finnpark wrote:
    If you have received a top position or 2nd place in your degree class then www.ircset should be looked at, they will fund you with 16500 into your pocket each year for 3 years plus pay your fees and buy computer and pay other expenses. Application form should be up on their web site in another month or 2 max.

Any PhD won't be starting until October anyway, not many would be recruiting this time of year I would say.

DERI are good, they are into sematic web only though I think. You could try www.it.nuigalway.ie (try Jim Duggan) or www.ee.nuigalway..ie
    UL http://www.ul.ie/hrvacancies/SoftwareResearchMar05.shtml and athlone [cant find a link but its being funded by ericsson] are looking for Phd students, both software related

Advertisement