Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlow town

• 13-02-2006 9:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭

I am a UCC student and i will be doing a work placement in Carlow for six months in a few weeks. I was just wondering what the place is like. This question is particularly for those of you living alone for the first time and who have moved from a different county. Is it a good place to live? What are the amenities like. Is the place big or small?

Anything that could help me in my move?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

avoid 24 riverside :)
    but seriosly, where are you working? are you driving? what are you looking for in terms of accomadation? hobbys? friends in the area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Depending if you are lazy or not everything is within walking distance. Lots of amenities in the area, carlow is rapidly growing and alot of new shops and services have come to town, Carlow is no longer a sh!thole that it once was.

Nightlife is good with some savage birds too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

Gonna be workin in irish sugar. Thats if the place doen't close down first!
    I have nothing sorted yet with accomodation, i think they will be sortin me out.
    I dont know anyone in the place. To be honest i dont really know anything about the place cos i've never been there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Gonna be workin in irish sugar. Thats if the place doen't close down first!
    I have nothing sorted yet with accomodation, i think they will be sortin me out.
    I dont know anyone in the place. To be honest i dont really know anything about the place cos i've never been there.

Didn't Irish Sugar close down months ago? the factory is about a ten minute walk from town

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

house on your own or sharing? theres loads of accomodation available either way.
    what ya doin in irish sugar???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I think the factory itself is closed but they still use the site for offices/distribution/etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

Yeah i'll be working in the offices i think.Should be all right i'd say when it comes to accomodation, i have exams until a week before i'm supposed to star so they cant expect me to find the place(hopefully anyway).

I was wondering what the general atmosphere of the place is like. Is it a small country town with all that entails or is it more upmarket. I know that in the sunday times two weeks ago thay said that carlow had the second lowest house prices in ireland , I'm wondering if thats not an ominous sign?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

theres nothin much else to do apart from drink. theres a bowling alley, small cinema, and a few shops. ur best to move in wit sum students. tho dont expect early nights. esepecially on thursday and tuesdays. its basically a student town. everythign revolves aroudn the college from wat i've seen.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

wow a job placement in Carlow, they have jobs and stuff there now?:)

Rent is cheap
    Night life is good
    Shopping centre is good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

I know that in the sunday times two weeks ago thay said that carlow had the second lowest house prices in ireland , I'm wondering if thats not an ominous sign?

lmao carlow most certainly doesnt have the lowest house prices in ireland, a house 10 mins from the college costs €235,000, if your into low price housing check out the west, cheap, cheap, cheap. Carlow imo can only go up in price being so close to dublin and havin a strong student population

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

You can still buy a nice 3 bedroom house there for 150k,a nice 2 bedroom duplex for 180k and within walknig distance of the town

Advertisement