Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Avensis Petrol

Options
  • 13-02-2006 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭

I'm looking into buying a 1.6 Petrol Avensis (old model 00 - 01).

What are they like on fuel? Was advised that the current 1.6 Avensis is hard on fuel. Any opinions?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

You should get close to 40mpg from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the new one is a bit harder on fuel than the old model, but still not what you'd call bad. i know people getting over forty on old models, and around 37 on new models, it's simply because the new one is so big

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Cole wrote:
    I'm looking into buying a 1.6 Petrol Avensis (old model 00 - 01).

What are they like on fuel? Was advised that the current 1.6 Avensis is hard on fuel. Any opinions?

Thanks

The 1997 - 2000 Avensis had "lean burn" petrol engines which were very economical, the downside was that performance was not the best in class. This 1.6 had around 100bhp which was still pretty acceptible though.

The facelifted Avensis (Toyota badge moved to the front grill) arrived towards the end of 2000 and this had the current VVTi engine which had more power and slightly less economy. The 1.6 has 110bhp. This model was still a fairly light car so economy was still good in this model.

The new Avensis arrived in March 2003 and because it was bigger and heavier than the old car the same 1.6 VVTi is a bit underpowered which in turn impacts economy. My 1.8 is almost as economical as the 1.6 as it has less strain in pulling the heavier body.

The Avensis is only sold in Ireland in 1.6 because of demand for this engine due to lower running costs. Like most cars of this size the smallest engine available across the rest of Europe is the 1.8 litre.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

I think a lot of VVT-i engines were replaced due to major oil consumption problems, I know one person who was given a new engine by Toyota without asking. Might be worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

some bottom ends of engines were replaced due to oil consumption

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Tiger Jim

Had an 03 1.6 Avensis and it did about 40mpg but was sluggish enough. Nice car though.

Advertisement