Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

L-Roads signed on modern signage...

• 13-02-2006 10:04pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone else seen any L-roads (local roads, not the old pre-1970s link roads) signed on modern signage. There are some examples on some new signs in Straffan, Co. Kildare where the L2007 is listed alongside the M4 and M7.

AFAIK we are supposed to treat these like C-Roads in the UK and not show them on signage?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭MT

As the Republic is so poor at signing M, N and R roads I think including L roads would be a needless extra burden. Maybe when the other three categories have been done right but until then it's a case of crawl before you can walk. I mean there are probably thousands upon thousands of L roads and they'd be outside of the NRA's control. And given that R roads are so badly signed at the moment can you imagine the haphasard results of throwing in L routes on top?

Nb. I realise that many L routes are signposted but what I'm referring to here is doing it with the full Guildford rules format, ie. LXXXX numbers, brackets, patching etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

icdg wrote:
    Has anyone else seen any L-roads (local roads, not the old pre-1970s link roads) signed on modern signage. There are some examples on some new signs in Straffan, Co. Kildare where the L2007 is listed alongside the M4 and M7.

AFAIK we are supposed to treat these like C-Roads in the UK and not show them on signage?
    Hi icdg, yes I've seen those naughty signs on the upgraded road (being upgraded for the Ryder Cup!). They are a mistake and are exactly the same as C roads in the UK. They are council identifiers (every single foot of road has a number, somewhere) and should never be used on signs, maps etc. They ruin what are otherwise good signs unfortunately. Can you get some pictures icdg, for our forthcoming website of poor signage? (coming soon).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

murphaph wrote:
    Hi icdg, yes I've seen those naughty signs on the upgraded road (being upgraded for the Ryder Cup!). They are a mistake and are exactly the same as C roads in the UK. They are council identifiers (every single foot of road has a number, somewhere) and should never be used on signs, maps etc. They ruin what are otherwise good signs unfortunately.
    So true, god forbid if every one of our roads were signposted, tourists might be able to find their way around.It would be complete anarchy! No tourists having to drive slowly on roads looking around looking for some sort of sign, no tourists undertaking 3 points turns on narrow roads.
    Yes lets not display the names of these L roads, in fact take down all the road signs, lets go back to calling roads, the Main road, high street, above the cross, etc.
    Maybe, and I'm just guessing here, but maybe Kildare CoCo are thinking that if they label each road, then when a tourist is given directions on a hotel's website, they might be able to follow the road signs!
    But then, I'm one who believes that we have too few road signs not too many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,165 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I think the point is that they are not on any of the road maps except for very large scale planning-type maps. so what's the point of have the numbers on road signs?

Advertisement