Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canyoning anyone?

Options
  • 13-02-2006 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

A couple of months back I went on a canyoning trip in Wales. Was a mixture of abseiling, swimming through freezing water and flinging ourselves off large rocks. Absolutely loved it!! Is there anything similar going on in Ireland?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭nitroboy

Dont know of any yet, but a great place to set up a route would be just above the miners village in glendalough!! everytime I walk past it I think of canyoning (or its little brother gorge walking) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ball ox

yeah there is a bit of gorge walking in Ireland allright but dont think you would find anywhere to go canyoning

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭emma6606

Hey if ya find anywhere... id love to join up - we could start a little club!!
    I reckon it'd be really popular
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I did it years ago on an adventure holiday in Scotland so I'd be up for it if you're heading out somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

check out www.irishfreestyle.com
    irelands best canoe website.....
    also check out, i think h20 extreme, based in kinsale in cork.. they organise what you are looking for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Bilb

nitroboy wrote: »
    Dont know of any yet, but a great place to set up a route would be just above the miners village in glendalough!! everytime I walk past it I think of canyoning (or its little brother gorge walking) :)

the poulanas water fall in glendalough is the best place i have been gorge walking in wicklow. There is some cool mini canyons you can swim into and a really sweet jumping spot. you can also climb in behind the waterfall but make sure you have helmets in case a rock washes over the falls. there are a good few other spots in wicklow, makes a great day out if you grab a wetsuit and helmet and just drive to the diff spots.

the best one i have done in ireland is in kerry tho. here is a link to us playing this summer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWC2wQGiqKs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

There is one canyon up in Leitrim 'Wildcat'. It is a bit slippy and there are no jumps but its good fun.

AFAIK canyoning is mainly done by cavers in this country. And mainly they don't not in this country. There are usually a trip or two a year canyoning abroad by Irish cavers so if you really up for it you could join an Irish Caving Club.
    PA240023.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 5 redted

I have had awesome caving and gorge walking experiences in kinsale in Co. Cork.

Such Beauty and fun in one location!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 bazzosh

I have also been to Glendo, Its good fun! Have been to O'Sullivans Cascades in Kerry. That was great. Heading back in a few weeks.

If you're looking for a nice day out in Wicklow, its cool to head to the shankill stream (tributary of Kings) in NW wicklow and then head to Glenmacnass water fall. (Scary but great craic) Doing it from the top down is more fun, but coming up is good too. Then head to Laragh, and jump into jacksons falls then off the cliff beside it. (careful of the water levels). Then head to glendo in the dark, bring some waterproof torches and glow sticks and light up the big pool at the bottom and jump in!

Dunno, I usually mix some cliff jumping with Gorge walking to give it an extra kick, and it adds some time. Some nice jumps around are Glencar waterfall in Leitrim, Doolin sea cave Co. Clare, Bullock Harbour, Dalkey and Garretstown Cork.

So whos up for starting a club? me and bilb have started already....anybody else...?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ravydavygravy

I've spent many years canyoning now with various cavers from around the country. Heres a couple of vids from previous trips:

Haute-Savoie, French Alps:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIXUpN2J_Vk

Sierra de Guara, Spain:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw-mnHlMoBY

We were in Chamonix last year, but I don't have any video.

I'm off to Mallorca for a weeks canyoning around Paddys day, and then we're heading off again to the Alps near Nice later in the summer. Some of our group are heading to Reunion (canyining mecca) in June - I can't join them, but it will be savage.

Canyoning is great craic, but we don't really have much scope for it here - the afore mentioned canyon in Leitrim is probably the best example. The other issue is that unless you know what you are doing, you'll need a guide to not maim yourself - and you won't get one of those in Ireland either....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

cavedave wrote: »
    There is one canyon up in Leitrim 'Wildcat'. It is a bit slippy and there are no jumps but its good fun.

AFAIK canyoning is mainly done by cavers in this country. And mainly they don't not in this country. There are usually a trip or two a year canyoning abroad by Irish cavers so if you really up for it you could join an Irish Caving Club.
    PA240023.JPG

where in leitrim is that dave?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

I have completely forgotten the name of the town it is outside. Ill ask the guy I followed there.

On a related note a website about Irish canyoning seems to have been created.

http://www.canyon.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Dazack

I'll be honest, the website seems to be one for Europe.

I know commenting on really old posts is poor form but wondering did yas have any luck with that Canyoning club? I have been Canyoning before near Lyon, France but would love to go locally, even if it is just in Wicklow. Just wondering what sorta kit you would need.

Advertisement