Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool vs Arsenal (will contain scores)

• 13-02-2006 10:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭

Well despite Liverpool's difficulty over the last few seasons in beating the other top 3 teams, I'm hoping for a Liverpool win here. Fowler loves to score against arsenal and they have a very young defence and dodgy recent form. I'd almost go as far as rating Fowler as the best striker at liverpool...the rest are so bad. Hope he gets a start again, dunno if hes fit enough yet though.

I'll go 2-1 to Liverpool, with fowler, kewell and henry to score

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Fowler should start, got an hour at wigan so that should of helped his fitness. Is crouch fit? Wouldnt mind seeing crouch and fowler up front, specially against the Arsenal back four.

We won last year in this fixture. But this is the first time i have actually been confident of a win. Arsenal seem to be in a spot of trouble, they are definitly beatable and we should win*.

Probaly jinxed it now though, sorry lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

If we lose tomorrow, i really feel that we will struggle for fourth again this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

2-1 to the gunners,i hope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Crouch is unlikely to play. I'd like to see a slightly different approach
    with Hamann and Sissoko in a 'spolier' midfield with Finnan on RW Kewell LW and Gerrard in a free role "in the hole" supporting Fowler (who is cup-tied so he should play tomorrow).

heres the bbc team news
    Striker Peter Crouch is still a doubt having missed the game against Wigan with a heel injury.

Luis Garcia is out with a knee problem, while Stephen Warnock has recovered from a groin injury.

Arsenal welcome back Kolo Toure and Emmanuel Eboue from African Nations Cup duty.

Jose Antonio Reyes is out after hurting his leg against Bolton, Robin van Persie is not fit and fellow striker Dennis Bergkamp has a calf problem.

Which looks promising!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I would like to see something like this.

Dudek
    Finnan--Agger--Carragher---Risse
    Krompkamp-Hamann-Alonso-Kewell
    Gerrard
    Fowler

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

switch kromkamp and finann, seems a much better crosser off the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

was gonna say, finnan puts in a decent cross, though he seems to generally do it from quite a deep position. haven't seen kromp cross it though.
    i like the idea of gerrard in a roaming role, considering he is generally the goal scorer, that could help.

rondeco, bit pessimistic(sp) mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

mike65 wrote:
    I'd like to see a slightly different approach
    with Hamann and Sissoko in a 'spolier' midfield...
    You would drop Xabi? :eek:

...or is he injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Arsenal welcome back Kolo Toure and Emmanuel Eboue from African Nations Cup duty

Thank God for that. There'll actually be four fit defenders in the squad. I wonder who Wenger will play on the left.
    Hopefully Henry is on form tomorrow night but I can't see an Arsenal win.
    I'll say 2-2!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

First year ever that I'd be willing to take a draw from this match. Damn, times are bad. Hopefully 1-1.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

i'm fairly expectant of liverpool picking up the 3 points,
    hoping for fowler to pick up where he left off against aresnal and score a few in the first 4 and a half minutes.
    Alonso should start, would like to see hamann alongside him rather than momo.
    up front maybe cisse with God.
    Go with gerrard on the right i guess.
    maybe play agger too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Arse are so awful right now that I'd take a draw.

But we're not gonna get one. 3-1 to Pool.

We're saving the big performance for when we really need it, i.e. Real in the Bernabeu next week! *Fingers fcuking crossed*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

thank **** Madrid at rocky atm too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Dont Ban Me

Wonder would Wenger start with Walcott on the left?? Although we are pretty screwed IMO! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

SebtheBum wrote:
    Arse are so awful right now that I'd take a draw.

But we're not gonna get one. 3-1 to Pool.

We're saving the big performance for when we really need it, i.e. Real in the Bernabeu next week! *Fingers fcuking crossed*
    You really think 'Pool will score 3. take a look at seasons stats of the pool strikers. They only average a shot every 50 mins.

stats5ff.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Arsenal win for me. Can't see the pool scoring and Henry is always likely to nick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I'd pick Morientes and Fowler to start against Arsenal and Crouch and Cisse to start against the mancs on Saturday.

I'd also want Hamann to play both, and Sissoko to play neither - but I cant see that happening.

A win for Liverpool should secure Champions League football next year - a win for Arsenal would put Liverpool right in the hunt for the "race" for 5th spot!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

TheMonster wrote:
    You really think 'Pool will score 3. take a look at seasons stats of the pool strikers. They only average a shot every 50 mins.

stats5ff.jpg

Oh for god sake,
    a team with gerrard, alonso, fowler, risse and kewell are always capable of scoring.
    You are aware that stats basically mean **** all right?
    Wenger isn't going to look at his terrible defense and say liverpool wont be able to score, dont think any of you should today either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Wonder would Wenger start with Walcott on the left?? Although we are pretty screwed IMO!

Walcott is injured for tonights game.

I'd say Wenger will go with a 4-5-1.
    We have fook all fit forwards for tonight, only Henry and Adebayor are fit.
    It'll be Diaby, Fabregas, Gilberto, Flamini, and Ljungberg in the middle trying to counter Liverpool's four. Cant see it been too high a scoring game, and I'm gonna go with a 1-1. Fowler and Henry to score, as Fowler loves scoring against us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Wenger will go for a 4-5-1, and won't go out to win.
    Liverpool have always had trouble beating teams who don't try to beat them and tonight will be no diff.
    Can Liverpool score three against Arsenal at the moment, no doubt about it, especially considering Arsenals defensive woes.
    Can they stop the passing play of Arsenal? Not sure about it.

I honastly can't call this, but I've a feeling Arsenal might get a result they want, either a draw or a win.
    Everybodys written arsenal off for third place, but I don't think you can do that. They have massive quality all over the top half of the pitch, and it will come to show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Can't see Liverpool beating arsenal tonight..........i was really sure of Birmingham beating Arsenal last week, cos of the young back four, and of course the gooners won.

Going on liverpool's recent perfomances i would have to say a draw, they struggled against Wigan, lost to Charlton, Utd and Chelsea and seemed to do everything but score against a 10 man Birmingham

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

mayordenis wrote:
    Oh for god sake,
    a team with gerrard, alonso, fowler, risse and kewell are always capable of scoring.
    You are aware that stats basically mean **** all right?
    Wenger isn't going to look at his terrible defense and say liverpool wont be able to score, dont think any of you should today either.

didn't say they wouldn't score just that they wouldn't score 3. ;)

as for stats meaning **** all - it proves one thing Liverpools strikers don't create many chances

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

my preffered pool formation for tonite

----Dudek----

-Finnan---Carragher-Hyypia---Riise-

-Gerrard--Alonso-Sissoko--Kewell-

Crouch--Morientes

start out like this and Finnan should work hard enough to allow gerrard to work the right side and drift towards the centre.
    keep Hamman on the bench if something goes wrong as he will allow the versitility to allow gerrard to push further foward.
    2 strikers to start so we can take the game to the gunners yet be comfortable enough absorb any counter attacks with sissoko and alonso able to break up the play.
    main doubt in my eyes is actually sami Hyypia. does he have the turn of pace to deal with the wiley henry and even freddi ljumberg who will cause problems. Riise will have to be a bit more defensive i should imagine aswell which is a problem as he is fantastic going up the pitch. I wouldnt give Agger his premiership debut Vs. argueably the best premiership striker/player.
    morientes may be playing crap but at least we all know he is talented and fit when he wants to be, his experiance might unlock a few things especially with Arsenals weakend defence.
    Fowler to come on around the 60 min mark for moro to really shake up the gooners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

liverpool will win tonight especially with arsenal's defence problems. 2-0 to pool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Going on liverpool's recent perfomances... seemed to do everything but score against a 10 man Birmingham

it finished 1-1. i'd say that counts as scoring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

sorry i meant a winning goal:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Jazzy wrote:
    my preffered pool formation for tonite

----Dudek----

-Gerrard--Alonso-Sissoko--Kewell-

Crouch--Morientes

start out like this and Finnan should work hard enough to allow gerrard to work the right side and drift towards the centre.
    keep Hamman on the bench if something goes wrong as he will allow the versitility to allow gerrard to push further foward.
    2 strikers to start so we can take the game to the gunners yet be comfortable enough absorb any counter attacks with sissoko and alonso able to break up the play.
    main doubt in my eyes is actually sami Hyypia. does he have the turn of pace to deal with the wiley henry and even freddi ljumberg who will cause problems. Riise will have to be a bit more defensive i should imagine aswell which is a problem as he is fantastic going up the pitch. I wouldnt give Agger his premiership debut Vs. argueably the best premiership striker/player.
    morientes may be playing crap but at least we all know he is talented and fit when he wants to be, his experiance might unlock a few things especially with Arsenals weakend defence.
    Fowler to come on around the 60 min mark for moro to really shake up the gooners

Agger has already started in the Premiership, against Brummie. :rolleyes:

there is a vast difference between Hesky and Henry.
    Arsenal > brummie as an attacking side... i wouldnt drop him in just yet.
    it is a deep deep end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Am not too confident about this but we might be able to squeeze a result.. Its a must win for both sides!! Liverpool need it to keep up with United and essentially prove they can beat the top sides.. Arsenal need the points..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I'm going for 0-0.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

well i for one am full of faith that pool will win this one. a loss here would make us look like we deserve to be competing for 3rd or 4th, but i think we're better than that, so i'm going for 2 - 0 pool

----Dudek----

-Gerrard--Alonso-hamman--Kewell-

cisse--Morientes/crouch

i think theres a chance rafa might use cisse to exploit that arenal back 4, i could be wrong, but just a thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Triton

el rabitos wrote:
    well i for one am full of faith that pool will win this one. a loss here would make us look like we deserve to be competing for 3rd or 4th, but i think we're better than that, so i'm going for 2 - 0 pool

----Dudek----

-Gerrard--Alonso-hamman--Kewell-

cisse--Morientes/crouch

i think theres a chance rafa might use cisse to exploit that arenal back 4, i could be wrong, but just a thought

LMAO. Cisse exploit a defence? What's he going to do, dazzle them with his hair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Hard to call, I think I'll sit on the fence and say a draw. Arsenal have had their away-day woes this season, but I think they've come into a bit of form. They dominated the second half against Bolton on saturday, and probably would have won if it wasn't for some excellent defending.
    A forward line who are having difficulty scoring versus a young, inexperienced defence...hard to call!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I can't understand any Liverpool fan not wanting Fowler to start. His overhead kick that was disallowed and his passes for Moro and Gerrard v Wigan shows that (even if he did nothing else in those games) he's playing far better than any of the other 3 have since Christmas, .

He's definitely fit enough to start, otherwise Rafa wouldnt have started him v Wigan. Leave Cisse for the last 20 minutes when his pace might count for something. Crouch isnt 100% so leave him till ManU, where Fowler is unavailable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I can't understand any Liverpool fan not wanting Fowler to start. His overhead kick that was disallowed and his passes for Moro and Gerrard v Wigan shows that (even if he did nothing else in those games) he's playing far better than any of the other 3 have since Christmas, .

He's definitely fit enough to start, otherwise Rafa wouldnt have started him v Wigan. Leave Cisse for the last 20 minutes when his pace might count for something. Crouch isnt 100% so leave him till ManU, where Fowler is unavailable.

I have been very sceptacle about Fowler but I would have to agree with you. His passing and movement against Wigan was impressive and hes looking like the best option at the moment.

• Advertisement

hmmm, point taken
    moro and fowler could open up arsenal idd.
    its gonna be a good game me thinks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

fowler starts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Arsenal to win by 2

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭zokrez

Confirmed team is as follows:

Dudek
    Finnan
    Hyypia
    Carragher
    Riise
    Gerrard
    Alonso
    Sissoko
    Kewell
    Fowler
    Morientes

Subs:
    Carson
    Hamann
    Garcia
    Traore
    Cisse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Fowler will score twice and Liverpool will win 2-1........

• Advertisement

Liverpool

Dudek
    Finnan---Hyypia--Cara---Riise
    Gerrard-Alonso-Sissoko-Kewell
    Morientes--Fowler

Arsenal

Lehmann,
    Eboue, Toure, Senderos, Flamini
    Ljunberg, Fabregas, Gilberto, Pires,
    Adebayor, Henry.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Liverpool

Dudek
    Finnan---Hyypia--Cara---Riise
    Gerrard-Alonso-Sissoko-Kewell
    Morientes--Fowler

so so close with mine :p
    if only i had taken the advice to start fowler earlier ;)

Its 10 years since Bob Paisley died. Probely Liverpools greatest manager and also the most successful manager in the game on a "trophies per year" basis.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

Fowler will score twice and Liverpool will win 2-1........

I'll go with that:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

One of the few criticisms I have of Benitez is the way he plays Gerrard - he is a central midfielder, end of. None of this out on the right shít, drop Sissoko if needed.

Oh, good opening period from Liverpool.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

does anybody have a stream for the game?
    oh pretty pretty please :)

(i'll be your valentine)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I wonder is sissoko colour blind?;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

gimmick wrote:
    drop Sissoko if needed.

Why he's in ahead of didi in the first place I'll never know.
    The Muppet wrote:
    I wonder is sissoko colour blind?;)

Nope, just crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Decent start from Liveropool alright. In other news Real Madrid have scored 3 times in the opening 10 minutes. 5-1 down against Zaragoza from the first leg. 5-4 now.:eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement