Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating Noises

Options
  • 13-02-2006 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭

The pipes for the heating in my house creak and groan once the heating starts up - every time the thermostat calls for heat. It's like a clunk every 20 or 30 seconds. It wrecks my head!:mad: How can I stop this. It happens in one particular place where the pipe run is longer than anywhere else. The heating system is 17 years old.:eek: I moved into the house 6 months ago and have fitted a room stat and a HW cylinder stat and a 7 day timer. Before this the heating simply came on and the stat in the boiler did the rest - uneconomical and madness!

How can I stop this creaking and klunking............?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭eddiej

Crosstownk dont mean to hijack the thread but i too have a prob with the heating seems to make a dripping type sound in the hot press have check every where and found one minor drip from a joint say drop every 2 hours or so (i didnt wait that long to see) but still the sound continues cant be a leak as the ceiling would surely have either come down or been marked by now have searched everywhere to no avail. new house any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

eddie

Crosstownk apologies once again for buting in

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

No Problem Eddie.

Is it maybe your expansion pipe dripping water back to the attic tank? Your hot water cylinder fills from the bottom so can't drip. It maybe you filler tap in the attic tank dripping - does it have a metallic 'ring' to it? Is you attic tank metal or plastic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi crosstown,

There could be air in the long run of pipe especially if it's dipped anywhere along the line, another possibility is the long run of copper needs to be clipped to hold it in place when the surge from the pump comes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Thanks Pete

I've a roofing job (kinda small) that needs doing cos it leaks like a seive at the mo. would you be up for giving me a price?

In relation to the heating noise, I had a rewire done and I've noticed blocks of timber which I think were used to 'restrain' the pipes but are now lying loose so maybe I'll try refit them. I don't think it's air cos I've expelled most if not all of it. Its a regular and defined klunk like expansion of the pipes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Creaking noise could be expanding pipes. Best not to 'restrain' them, they need to be able to do this - try wrapping some felt underlay or similar where they rest on joists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi crosstown,

Thank you for the chance to quote for your roof but I'm very busy at the moment possibly too busy when I have to leave calling in here until this hour.

I know there are others who post here that may be able to help or recommend someone to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭eddiej

Cheers CT sorry but i have been off air for a while what exactly is the expansion pipe and where do I find it in the tank in the attic cheers if it is this is there anyting i cuold do to stop the noise

Eddie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

I had the same problem, I used motorised valves to bring on the heating, and also it was in a long run of pipe.

I had the system drained a few days ago to replace a faulty pump. When the plumber left the creaking problem also stopped, It may have been air in the system.

:)

Advertisement