Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What Do Ins. Companies Define A "Motor Car" As?

Options
  • 13-02-2006 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hello:

I want to drive my brother's van (a Vivaro) that he has taxed privately and uses it for driving about the place, as well as for work.

I've noticed that my own insurance policy, as well as naming my own car reg. as being insured, also says:

"Any Motor Car (or Motor Cycle) being driven by the insured, provided such vehicle does not belong to him/her under a Hire Purchase Agreement or a Contract of Lease Hire or Contract Hire."

Although I do intend to ask my insurance company this tomorrow, I was wondering if, in the meanwhile, anyone might have any thoughts on if something like a Vivaro can be/is defined as a "Motor car."

Is it a case that insurance companies can define a "motor car" to be whatever they say it is, or is there a blanket (standard) definition?

I tried looking in the Road Traffic Act to see what that says as regards a definition but couldn't find anything (it made my eyes spin, actually; that thing ain't written in English! :confused: )

Tom.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭rsta

i think the van could be included under the definition of 'motor car', as it covers a vehicle that can carry up to eight people and not weigh more than 3500kg

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

rsta wrote:
    i think the van could be included under the definition of 'motor car', as it covers a vehicle that can carry up to eight people and not weigh more than 3500kg

Cool... they might use the same criteria as the driving licence does then, I guess.

I'm sure they'll find some way to wring money out of me, though. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

MOTORised CARriage with an internal combustion engine! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭rsta

TommyK wrote:
    Cool... they might use the same criteria as the driving licence does then, I guess.

I'm sure they'll find some way to wring money out of me, though. :)

yeah as far as i know i think they do... but you are right to check with them first. have you got a full licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

rsta wrote:
    yeah as far as i know i think they do... but you are right to check with them first. have you got a full licence?

Yep, a full B since 1999.

I'll definately check with them anyway.

Tommy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

AFAIK it needs to be both taxed and insured privatly.

Advertisement