Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

legal reprocussions

Options
  • 13-02-2006 11:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭

Hello there,

A 'friend' of mine has a band and rents a garage, they converted the garage so that it would be soundproofed but now the band have gone their seperate ways.

The landlord told em when they first rented that he wanted the garage back in it's original condition when they decided to leave.. Now the band know it's a big job to tear the **** down, rent a skip etc and are thinking of just leaving the garage permanently and let the landlord keep the deposit and do as he wishes...

Would this have any legal reprocussions? After all, isn't this the kind of thing the deposit is for?

Thanks for watching.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

If they were my tenants, I'd see them in court - especially if the cost of the reinstatement works exceeded the deposit paid. Not the brightest of sparks, your mates....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

well deposit is 600, it certainly would cost that much to bring it back to it's former glory, it's just renting a skip and ****ing the crap on the walls into it.

sorry, i meant it certainly wouldn't cost that much, i can't seem to edit the post.

Well the answer is that they could be sued for breach of contract. A deposit is not meant to put a limit on liability and if they contracted to give the place back in the original condition. For example, if they didn't pay rent for 6 months, the presence of a deposit doesn't mean that the Landlord can only use the deposit, he can still go ahead and sue.

Whether he'd be odd enough to go ahead, given that the deposit should exceed the works, is a different matter. But I would have little symapthy for the tenants if he did, it sounds like they just can't be arsed complying with their side of the deal...

i'll get them to check the lease, if it's not stated on it then not a lot can be done.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Even if it is not in the contract he can simply claim you did not have permision to alter the structure.
    PM me I might know somebody that would be willing to take away the sound proofing .

THe other things is if you line up another band to take over there maybe no need to rip it out. It is simply business and there are a lot of bands contantly looking for places so it shouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Do a search here for "band" and you will probably find someone willing to take it of your hands.

The landlord is entitled to get his property back in the condition he let it in. It needs to be cleaned, but need not necessarily have wear and tear repaired.

Advertisement