Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody using Perlico BB

• 14-02-2006 12:36am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

another bitstream reseller but the entry level 1mbit BB is €25 a month which is not atrocious.

just checking on any experiences with them ....site is missing some key T&C's which is always a bad sign

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

BT do 1Mbit for 19.99

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 barnie

I signed up with Perlico in the past month. I could not find any bad stories about them on the internet even though they have been around for a few years (since the nineties).

The broadband product offering they had was 1MB per second for 25 euro per month. Just after I signed up (for a year which is the minimum time - extremely anti-competition) they reduced their premium to 20 euro per month. You have to sign up for telephone rental as well which is just under 25 euro. So the only saving I make is 60 euro a year in comparison to eircon.

I have found that the broadband sometimes does not work in that I cannot access any web page, but generally I am quite pleased with the speed.

I have an issue with their limit for download. A friend of mine has Smart telecom which is unlimited download and he is very pleased. By comparison Perlico had a download limit advertised on their website as a measly 5GB per month which it describes as "generous". Later after I signed up, I rang customer services and pretended I was a new customer who wanted to sign up to learn that the limit is now 12GB. Another example of the lies. But the biggest lie I leave for last.

I wanted to know how to measure my broadband consumption, as this is advertised as a benefit when I signed up. I was told that this would be possible "tommorow", that the "sales team" were working on it (fixing the software). A month later, this promise is still broken even after a few (polite) requests to make sure they receive the message.

IF I EMAIL PERLICO OR USE THEIR WEBSITE "MY ACCOUNT" TO CONTACT THEM THEY DO NOT RESPOND TO ME EVER. IF I PHONE THEY MAKE UP LIES.

A fourth example of a lie: when I was signing up I asked if the broadband router would be posted to me and would this fit through my (standard) letterbox. They said "yes", it "would". Instead I find that it DOES NOT FIT. Not that I would use the stupid router they provide, only that in order to use my wireless router I had to buy for hundreds of euros (eircom supply wireless routers as standard by the way) I had to try to figure out the advanced settings of the router they do provide. In the end, I raced down to the "post" office just in time to collect my router.

Having said all this, Perlico are better than Irish Broadband "Ripwave" in my experience. "Ripwave" is a rip-off as it is more like dial-up in speed (in my experience.) Unfortunately I cannot get Smart Telecom Broadband in my exchange, and thus sever the link with Eircon forever (Perlico are really eircon hawkers and you keep your Eircon line.)

In SUMMARY - "Perlico - Eircon LIARS in disguise". Do not believe their sales literature (generally in red which should serve as a warning not something attractive).

There are some many lies they have told me that I have just remembered another one. When I was signing up, they said I would be online in 15 days, then 10 days later they sent a letter saying it would be an extra 5 days, and when I phoned up they said it would be another extra 5 days again. So I wasted hundreds of euro on dial-up because I was expecting broadband and had to cancel my eircon dial-up package that saves me 100 euro a month. There are many more lies but I am feeling very sick now and do not want to murder people :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

its 19.99 for the 1mb service. You have to sign up for one of the voice packages to get the bb, its 29.99 for linerental incl unlimited anytime local/national calls

By the way, just to clairfy my last post if anything is unclear, the reason it is so important to watch broadband consumption is that if you go over the limit, then the charge is something like 3c every megabyte. So if you are using Skype or listening to internet radio you would run up a bill that could be hundreds of euro extra a month. I told the sales team and they said it would not happen. I then told them if I downloaded a single DVD picture film that my broadband limit for the MONTH would almost be run out, and they just passed me into telephony neverneverland with stupid music to listen to.

Most irritating of all however is that if you have a problem with your broadband, they become very unresponsive and slow perhaps like the Eircon beastie they are protecting.

Perlico charge 3c per mb that they go over the limit, But they dont actually charge the customer if they go over the limit

• Advertisement

Just to clarify, you do NOT have to apply for an anytime package to get perlico bb, the standard line rental of just under 25 euro is acceptable to them, the same as for eircon.

sorry i should of made that clear, you have to change over to perlico... the cheapest package is 23.95( linerental) and you pay for the calls you make then...

Perlico charge 3c per mb that they go over the limit, But they dont actually charge the customer if they go over the limit

Their website says:

"If you go over this generous limit then we reserve the right to charge you for any additional data (at 3cent inc VAT per MB)."

So they still can charge if they want to. I hope I am not one of the ones they want to, and if it is their policy not to charge they should state this on their website. Personally I would prefer to be cut off and disconnected if I am using too much bandwidth instead of paying hundreds of euro. But more importantly they should fix their software so people know how much bandwidth they are consuming, that is one of the reasons I signed up with them because they advertised this service:

"You can check how much monthly data usage statistics at any time simply by logging onto our websites customer area."

This sentence (taken from their website today) does not even make grammatical sense.

you are big liars perLIEco. And you never reply to my emails to "customer care" (or other contact details). What they mean by "customer care" is that the "customer" will "care", but not perLIEco.

Ya but they dont actually charge people if they go over the limit.. they just state that as every company do..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Well if they're giving you no way of knowing how much downloading/uploading you're doing they have no right to charge you for going over the limit. And if they try to charge, you can give them Ye Olde Sale Of Goods And Supply Of Services Act 1980.

• Advertisement

I may be a little paranoid, but I have noticed that my broadband has stopped working for the past day, since I made these posts. Could it be that they monitor activity for the perlico keyword (besides their own website and other innocent sites that do not know about it). Even if this is nonsense, it is very bad that I have to rely on my trusty dial-up. ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS. I am writing this from a humble (oceanfree) dial up connection.

Re quoting the "sale of goods act", my experience with these type of companies is that quoting means nothing unless you feed a solicitor's children (and grandchildren).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

barnie wrote:
    I may be a little paranoid, but I have noticed that my broadband has stopped working for the past day, since I made these posts. Could it be that they monitor activity for the perlico keyword (besides their own website and other innocent sites that do not know about it). Even if this is nonsense, it is very bad that I have to rely on my trusty dial-up. ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS.

A friend of mine was really close to signing up with Perlico BB, (he already had their phone service). I managed to convince him to go with EsatBT. Perlico was a rip off compared to BTs packages.

Advertisement