Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

need info on ipod mini

• 14-02-2006 1:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭

hi few questions about the ipod mini before i fork out money on one,

first off can i put mp3s i already have onto it?

secondly can i take music off it onto my computer, say music i put onto it on another computer?.

how much can one hold, someone told me 400 hours but ive never seen one with that much on it,

cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

hi few questions about the ipod mini before i fork out money on one,

Good luck with that. They're not generally sold any more as Apple don't make them any more, and haven't done in quite a while. You'd probably be better off with a Creative Zen Micro - same capacity (or bigger on the Zen MicroPhoto) but also has an FM radio with recorder and voice recorder... or an iRiver H10. I'd go with the Creative, personally.
    first off can i put mp3s i already have onto it?

Yes, you can (of course)!
    secondly can i take music off it onto my computer, say music i put onto it on another computer?.

Yes, but you may need 3rd party software for that. See the alternatives to iTunes in the FAQ sticky on this forum.
    how much can one hold, someone told me 400 hours but ive never seen one with that much on it,

As far as I remember, they're 6GB. That's roughly 6,000MB. Taking into account that MP3 files are usually just under 1MB per minute (when recorded at 128Kbps), then an average 4 minute song is around 4MB - so divide 6,000 by 4 and you get 1,500. Therefore you can expect the iPod Mini to hold about 6,000 minutes (100 hours) or 1,500 songs in MP3 format. 400 hours would be closer to what the 30GB iPod will store.

A Creative Zen Micro 6GB should hold more than the iPod Mini as it also supports WMA files which are generally slightly smaller (more compressed) than the equivalent MP3 file.

The Zen Micro should set you back anywhere between €199 and €239 depending on which model you go for. The Zen MicroPhoto (8GB & with a full colour screen) currently retails at €269.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

The 6GB is still sold in a very small number of places. Otherwise, it'd have to be second hand. TBH, a second hand iPOD's battery will break your heart.
    The first gen iPOD mini was only 4GB (Size doesn't matter! :| ) - so less again.
    The mini has been superceded by the, smaller and much more expensive, nano. The Creative Zen Micro is comparable to the Mini in form and better priced.
    secondly can i take music off it onto my computer, say music i put onto it on another computer?
    Yes you can. But you shouldn't as it may conflict with the EULA,etc.. ;)
    How to copy from iPOD -> Computer ..must tidy this up ..someday

Advertisement