Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Buy a New LCD TV or Not?

• 14-02-2006 1:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,006 ✭✭✭✭

I currently have a Sony KV24LS35 CRT TV and apart from it's small size it's the business for watching DVD's and playing games on as it has a VERY sharp and clear picture.

Myself and the missus are moving back into town though and most likely we'll be moving to a smaller flat, so I've been thinking about getting a new TV, partially as it will take up less space.

If money was no object then I'd definetly have a Plasma, but it is, so I've been thinking about going for an LCD. While I've never been a big fan of LCD TV's, some of the current generation are pretty impressive on paper. There is one in particular from Panasonic that I've been thinking about, a 32" model, can't remember the model numer just yet, will post that here when I find it out.

The thing is though, with anything less than a HD signal going into them I've found them to be less than impressive. I was looking at the Panasonic the other day hooked up to a DVD player via component and I was rather disappointed. The picture quality was fuzzy and not as sharp as I would have liked. It was certainly miles behind my little Sony.

I know there are varying reasons why it's not as good at one thing, and better at others. Why would I buy an LCD now if they are so poor for watching DVD's on? I have a large DVD collection, and will eventually make the move to a HD format for movies and such, though not for some time. I would mostly be watching movies and playing games on it.

What do you guys think. Are they poor for DVD's and Games, is it really only just geared towards HD. Should I just shut up and purchase one?????? Any thoughts or helpful comments will be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,006 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

It's the Panasonic TX32LX52.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭quazzy

If your gonna be watchin alot of DVDs then maybe consider also getting a DVD player with HDMI - it upscales the picture to 720p (or is it 720i). Well either way it's better then component.

edit

Here's one
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0007YQO18/qid=1139912460/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_1/026-3265682-3340424

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

eo980 wrote:
    The thing is though, with anything less than a HD signal going into them I've found them to be less than impressive. I was looking at the Panasonic the other day hooked up to a DVD player via component and I was rather disappointed. The picture quality was fuzzy and not as sharp as I would have liked. It was certainly miles behind my little Sony.

Basically, each LCD/Plasma will *always* display at its native resolution i.e. probably 1366x768. Therefore all inputs will be scaled to fit. The smaller the original the more it is stretched and the more "blocky" it will be.

I find it hard to believe that your DVD viewing was poor. DVD is better than TV quality so it would hardly be worse. DVD on an LCD can also be progressive.
    Was it in a shop? They run all sorts of splitters on signals and it degrades all the time.

You also have to check the distance you are from the tv. Minimum 3x screen size. 32" = 8 feet. Basically within 8 feet (2.5+ metres) of the screen you are going to notice the pixels and blocks.

I moved to a 26" LCD from a 21" 4:3 CRT and apart from the widescreen, find the picture quality from the analogue tuner better than the CRT. PAL DVD via component is great and 720p/1080i 360 via component is amazing.

At the end of the day, you make up your own mind. If you think that your CRT gives a better picture than the panasonic, then so be it, save your €1800 and buy a kitchen table, fridge, and a washing machine...

L.

nereid wrote:
    I find it hard to believe that your DVD viewing was poor. DVD is better than TV quality so it would hardly be worse.

Believe me it was. I won't be watching TV on it at all. Perhaps Sky sometime in the future, but there are no immediate plans. I asked for a DVD player to be connected to it via component so I could get see how it would look the way I would be using it.

Thanks Quazzy, will consider that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

eo980 wrote:
    Believe me it was. I won't be watching TV on it at all.

In that case, could I recommend the LG LX262R or its 32" big brother or the Samsung LE32R41 or 51, both of which I have seen with dvd and 360 via component.

Do you want a LCD or do you want a Panasonic?

L.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭branners69

LCDs are in my opinion far superior to CRTs.. I had my new 32" JVC DS6 beside my dads 36" Panasonic CRT..

I hooked an xbox 360 up to them both and there was no comparison.. size wise the 32" was very close to the 36"'s of the CRT.. much closer then my old 32" Philips was..

Colour, depth and sharpness there was no comparison, the LCD won hands down.. the only area the CRT might have been strong on was with handling blackness.. but nothing too major at all..

I played games(COD2 on xbox 360), watched DVD's (Batman Begins & Finding Nemo) and watched Sky+ and NTL on both tv's and the LCD was a clear winner!! NTL looked cr@p on both to be fair.

Can I ask what shop you were in testing the LCD's?? Maybe try checking another shop, cos there really is no reason why an LCD connected to even a basic DVD player would be poor??

nereid wrote:
    Do you want a LCD or do you want a Panasonic?

L.

I don't have any allegiance to Panasonic by any means, it's just that particular screen was recommended quite highly.

No worries Branners, I was looking at it in Peat's.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

I have the Sony KLV-V32A10 and I am VERY happy with it. Analogue NTL looks good on it which is a major feat in itself. Sky is excellent (unless of course you go up close) and DVD's on my upscaling DVD player are perfect. I have a 360 and the HD quality of the games really shows through on this screen. I've downloaded some HD trailers from Xbox Live and they are amazing. Can't wait for more HD sources to become available.

Well it's looking more and moe like my mind is made up. Guess I'll have to go and get an LCD so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭branners69

eo980 wrote:
    No worries Branners, I was looking at it in Peat's.

I actually thought Peats would've had there kit set up alright..

They had the JVC 32" DS6 in Peats for €2,200, I bought it online for €1,400:eek:

Was in Curry's in Blanch during the week and they had loads of Plasma's and LCD's setup.. didnt get much of a look as I was there to buy a microwave:(

Best of luck with your purchase, remember to check out here and here:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement