Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Team

Options
  • 14-02-2006 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭

At the weekend we all agreed to form a work basketball team to challenge a local team to a match. In the heat of the moment we reckoned we could beat them although they've been playing for a year or two! The match is set for mid April now and we've got two training sessions a week arranged.
    But I've been given the dubious title of "Coach"!
    Since most of us haven't touched a basketball since school and we wouldn't be the fittest bunch around, I need help!

Would anybody have any suggestions for some general excercises/training to start off with? Or basic drills?

Even some good websites would be brilliant!

Much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Start off with simple jogging around the court. Since you haven't touched a ball, I'd recommend doing some simple ball handling skills like dribbling up and down the court, then do zig-zag dribbling with a cross over at the point of turn. After this do a bit of stretching. Then break into 3 man weave, then 3 on 2, 2 on 1. Try do some shooting drills then like target.

In between each drill get everybody to take 4 free throws while they're tired as it's more game realistic.

If you played a decent level in school, you'll have an idea of what defence to play. Obviously you're not going to be capable of doing full court press, try and figure out what your oppostions strenghts are.

I'd also throw in some suicide runs just to get the cardio level up and to wake those dormant muscles up.

If you need a breakdown on anything just ask & i'll help you out.

For the first few weeks, leave out the tactics of the game & concentrate on your actual skill & fitness as individuals. In about a month then introduce tactics regarding offence & defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Dunners

If you PM me an e-mail address I can send you a list of about 30 different drills I used to use for youth coaching. Alot of it is basic stuff, some passing drills, dribbling drills, etc which should be good for getting you back into the game. I can also details on a great alternative to the 3-man weave called the Warren Run - it's much more game realistic and is brilliant as a fast break teaching and conditioning drill.

Personally I'm not sure about the use of suicide runs. A while ago I would use them liberally in training sessions but I found that running between lines can get more than a bit tedious so I use some other more advanced conditioning drills now. If you want I could root them out and send them across.

Good Luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭hardwoodhero

Basically follow what the lads said above. Practice your fundamnetals of shooting , dribbling and passing before anything else. You need to learn to walk before you can run.

Use your training sessions to identify each individuals strenghts and weaknesses, and then gear your gameplan around this.

best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Just wondering how the match went??

Advertisement