Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart 3G licence withdrawn

Options
  • 14-02-2006 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭

Smart 3G licence withdrawn

WTF is it with Comreg? All else going to hell in a handcart, and they knock Smart on the head.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

This is the same Comreg that allowed the other licencees to keep their 3G licences by the simple expediency of declaring their networks live long before they could carry any customers.

Mind you they then decided that one of these 'live' networks ( Three) , with no customers , had significant market power .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

and they repeatedly dodge questions about eircom's FWA licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

damien.m wrote:
    and they repeatedly dodge questions about eircom's FWA licence.

Grrrrrr yes, yes they do!!!

Between Luminous Networks going to pot (http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=86127) and having the 3G license taken away, it is not a good day at Citywest - not good for competition in Ireland either....

The enforcement of the conditions attached to Eircoms FWA 3.5Ghz licence has been a disgrace....even by the low standards one has come to expect from Comreg.

As soon as Eircom moved towards a coverage milestone that 'meant' something Comreg unilaterally put that coverage target back 3 years because the alternative would have been to enforce that coverage target and fine eircom for not meeting it ...according to licence specific conditions.

This Valentine's give someone you love the perfect gift, by snatching a diamond out of the hands of someone else...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

damien.m wrote:
    This Valentine's give someone you love the perfect gift, by snatching a diamond out of the hands of someone else...

The big question is who will Comreg award the licence to?
    Could it possibly go to their favourite friends, the ones they never
    take any action against? The one they constantly make pathetic excuses for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Does anyone know why they withdrew it? I can only assume it is because they realised that now Eircon/meteor don't have a 3G license and we couldn't have that. :rolleyes:

As bad as they may be - I dont think that would be grounds for withdrawl....:)

More likely to be to do with 1) not having the license fee or 2) trying to change the contents of the original sumbission...

But who knows - I am sure the truth will surface over the coming days....

Or a 'representation' of 'some sort' from Belgacom who may have insisted on a 'clarification' <cough>

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

Given Comreg's less than brilliant record when it comes to doing things legally I would not be surprised to see them having to back down once again. There is too much money involved for Smart not to fight this all the way through the courts..............

M.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Is there any real reason why one wouldn't set a nice price on a 3G licence and sell it to anyone with a reasonable business and rollout plan? Such as selling one to Meteor (and Digiweb?) as well? The more the merrier I would have thought, and a nice little earner for Ireland Inc and something for ComReg to do between bending over sessions with eircom.

o2 have a licence for 3G yes? Have they offered it to consumers yet?

damien.m wrote:
    o2 have a licence for 3G yes? Have they offered it to consumers yet?

Wellllllllll there is i-mode! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

O2 is launching a 3G i-mode phone in the very near future. For some reason they're soft launching 3G.

I'm sure there's difficulty justifying 3G, particular in countries where MNO's paid billions for the licences, but as a shareholder of Ireland Inc I don't really give a toss. If a company is willing to spend the money and do something with the spectrum, let's sell. I incidently think 3G could potentially kick ass with proper data services.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

Smart have been granted an injunction against Comreg.........

M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Mr_Man wrote:

That sounds very harsh. I would like to hear Comreg's side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Mr_Man wrote:
    So they may not be able to hand it over to their mates at eircom/Meteor so easily then ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Smart Telecom welcoms High Court move

March 13, 2006 18:24
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Smart Telecom has this evening welcomed the decision of the High Court to refuse ComReg's application to have the court proceedings determined by way of judicial review.
    The court held that Smart Telecom's application to have the process held by means of a plenary summons did not amount to an abuse of the process of court.
    The judge awarded Smart Telecom its costs. In a statement this evening the company said it looks forward to an early trial date.
    [/FONT]
    http://www.rte.ie/business/2006/0313/smart.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

kaizersoze wrote:
    The judge awarded Smart Telecom its costs.
    How much more of our money is ComReg allowed to gamble with?
    P.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

How much more of our money is ComReg allowed to gamble with?
    P.
    All of it by the look of things. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement