Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Recommendation

Options
  • 14-02-2006 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

Haven't posted on this board before!

Looking for recommendations on a bike for cycling to work in the city. It is a 6 mile cycle each way journey. Have been cycling it for the past two years on a hyrid my wife found in buy and sell...a British Eagle I think.

Any recommendations on what to buy, and were to go for some good impartial advice.

Thanks lots,
    Domer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

What's your budget and will the bike be parked outside when you are at home/work, or in a secure location? Also, do you push it when you cycling in and out, or do you cycle at a more leisurely pace?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

A hybrid like you have is probably a good choice.
    Maybe the likes/dislikes of your current bike will help you decide on next bike.

Look over previous threads where people have asked for recommendations for commuter bikes.
    Cycle SuperStore (Tallaght), CycleWays (Parnell St) and Commuting Solutions (Rathmines) are good dealers.
    Go to one of them (or another convenient dealer) and ask their advice. Buying from a good dealer will help you make a good decision on what you buy and also be there to help when you need service.
    A good shop will also have a selection of accessories for you (helmet, reflective gear, gloves, lights, locks, speedometers etc).

For service I've had great experiences with Little Sport in Fairview. Very good prices and quick with work.

To buy stuff online, I like BikeDock and Chain Reaction Cycles. Both in Northern Ireland. Good prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Domer

Thanks for the advice. I tend to push myself pretty hard when I cycle. Budget is undecided...I guess I want to know how much I need to spend. Saving a lot of € by cycling, so want to get a good bike.

I will look around at the weekend and see what I can find.

Thanks again,
    Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

really you only need to spend what you want to spend.

You get what you pay for, a light bike = a lot of cash, but it also means that you can probably go faster on it. It also means that it might be a target for a thief, but if it's locked up safely then that will be less of a concern. I guess that's all pretty obvious though.

Come up with a ball park figure, then see what is available for that price.
    Are you thinking of more or less than €500?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

I recently bought the Dawes Giro 200, for 500 Euro in Penny Farthing in Camden St, and I have to say after 3 weeks I'm f*cking in love with the thing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I've been looking for a good hybrid bike now a while aswell. I had finally decided on the Specialized Crossroads that was on sale in Cycleways. So I went in only to be told that there was major supply issues and I would be waiting 2 months at least :eek:

So I'm back looking a decent Hybrid around the €400 mark. I've seen the 7.x FX range and it ok but theres nothing grabbing me the way the specialized hybrids did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

i got me a specialized sirrus there in september. it's so nice....it was rather pricey but I love it!

I use it goin in and out to college and my dad will use it once a year for a 100km cycle and for the training running up to it.

It was worth every penny!

If you are thinkin about gettin a specialized I would recommend mike's bikes in dun laoighre over cycleways as they trade in...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Yea I was looking at the Sirrus range in cycleways aswell. They start at €550 which is far too much and just a magnet for bike thieves I reckon. How did you pay for sirrus anyway tywy?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I picked up a second hand orbit orion there recently, and it's a breeze to cycle. Its very light and the hub gears make such a difference.

If you have a good budget I'd recommend hubs, you can change while stationary which is very useful in stop-go traffic, and unlike deraileurs, they only require minimum maintainance (although if something goes wrong they'll cost a bomb to fix).

http://www.bicycledoctor.co.uk/p_orbitorion.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

my sirrus cost €599, that was the price of it both in cycleways and in mike's bikes. Had a Trek to trade in which was a basic mountain bike that cost £300 at the time. Got €100 for it.

I lock my sirrus in UCD all the time. I just use two locks....hasn't been nicked yet, touch wood!

• Advertisement
Advertisement