Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox 360 v PC

Options
  • 14-02-2006 10:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭

Ok have been an avid PC gamer and most of the time I play online. CoD, BF series and DoD are the games I usually play. Well over the last while I havent had a chance to play much because of work/college and RE4 on the PS2.

So got the xbox 360 and was playing CoD2 online yesterday and seems good. Not alot of players online thou, well not by the PC standards but was just wondering will there be many online games for the xbox? will they be any good?

Thinking of selling PC and just using the xbox for online gaming. Have laptop for email etc. Any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Nelly I am in the exact same boat as you, one of my mates has a 360 and to be honest the games at the mo aren't great. Like in fairness compare our beloved BF2 to any of the current FPS games on the 360!!

Then again ghost recon advance war fighter is coming out as is BF2: Modern combat which looks class. Throw in the ease at which you can communicate with each other (headsets) and you have a great online experience.

I am considering this as a purchase as well but will defo be waiting til March or so. For the record I don't like Microsoft though

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

for online gaming, the xbox 360 doesnt even come close to the pc. the pc is, and will be for some time, far ahead of any console for online games. it has a much bigger community (at least in mmo's), and its the home of online games. most of the good online games on consoles are just ports or conversions of pc games (CoD2, BF2 etc...)

and yes, i'm a fanboy

I agree with you Kiith but give it till xmas and I'd say the console might start poaching a few of the PC market (like I'm considering buying one and i play GW and BF2 for PC online daily). Consoles are just more comforable to play. I know mouse and keyboard has it down when playing FPS games but i'd sacrafice that for a comfy couch and wireless controller.

Also I don't want to put anymore money into my PC!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

Online with the Xbox can be a bit meh tbh. For example CoD2, In my experiance 1 of every 6 or so games I would consider a good game. No lag, good opposition/teamwork etc etc. Now on the PC I would consider most if not all games I play good games. Lag is pretty much non-existant and if there is lag its my connection rather than the connection of the host. Teamwork is also Improved on the PC as you can type/use the preset messages to let your team know whats going on.

I just don't think FPS's work on Consoles, although CoD2 is the nearest to bareable, then again it is a direct port of the PC version.

But then again there are some areas where the Xbox excells in terms of online. DoA4 for example. Fighters just aren't suited to PC so if your a fan there's an obvious choice there.

Personally I'd prefair my PC over my 360 but there are pros and cons to both, it just depends on what games you will be playing.

Doesn't COD2 on the 360 have a known lag problem...anyway I agree with the games thing it really depends what games you are playing.

Surely you find speaking to your team easier than typing on the PC??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Well you'll never be playing Silent Hunter 3 or il2 on the xbox 360 so i'll never get one till it can cater for sims...
    I also really don't think the first person shooters work as well with out a keyboard and mouse...well that's my 2 cents although nothing beats pro evo on the xbox with a few beers :D

oh and one other thing ..if microsoft think i'm paying 70 euro for game they must be bonkers ....if they dropped the price of the games to 30 everyone would buy one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Well I was playing CoD2 yesterday online and it was as good as on the PC once I got used to the controls. Didnt have any probs with lag and a number of good games where had. Only problme was the lack of players but I was playing from 1-4 yesterday so only a few kids from UK online. Prob more on after 6 I would say

Don't think the BF2 game will be as good on xbox 360 as on the PC but to be honest I don't have the time anymore to play on the PC and the xbox is handy to start up a game when getting the grub in. Also teh 28" TV looks better than my 17" monitor:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

COD2 developers release that thier is a serious floor in the online games that is creating mass lag. They are working on a patch to sort this. When all these little teething problems are sorted I guess that all games will play like HALO2 on the xbox 1 did. Which was floorless , I never saw lag in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Smoggy wrote:
    COD2 developers release that thier is a serious floor in the online games that is creating mass lag. They are working on a patch to sort this. When all these little teething problems are sorted I guess that all games will play like HALO2 on the xbox 1 did. Which was floorless , I never saw lag in it.

Flaw and flawless I think you mean

Never played the Xbox online. Got one, used it for 2-3 months and then sold it on. Only really played Halo 1 in the single player mode. Does Halo 2 work on the Xbox 360? heard there was some problems porting to older games.

Oh yeah I hate Microsoft

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Halo 2 does work on the 360 as long as ur connected to Xbox Live.......

Its pretty much lag free (very odd time you would get lag)

Put it this way,I used to have a whopper of a PC back in 01, updated it briefly til 03, got pissed off spending money updating it, got a 360 on launch and im happy as a pig in sh*te......

Xbox live is so easy and intuitive to use I personally love it, and no I aint a fanboy (more of a nintendo man!)

I hate mickeysoft too!

Im actually gonna splash out on a media center pc to get the best outta my sitting room......

And I read a shocking rumour that microsoft are throwing loads of $$$ in valves direction to make HL3 a 360 exclusive......

I wonder can we use mouse/keys on that game......ha ha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Considering every game has to be 'Live Aware' and Microsoft are pushing hard to get every game possible to have online components then yes, there should be a lot more online games for the console.

And I think the fact that Xbox Live provides reliable central servers and a simple interface with automatic match making that makes it easy to get online in any given game I think it could prove better than PC in the long run.

And just my opinion, but sitting on a couch with a joypad in front of a big tv is much better than sitting up at a computer desk using mouse and keyboard.

PC gaming has its advantages though, games are cheaper, there's always mods and freeware stuff coming out, and some genres just don't work on consoles.

steviec wrote:
    Considering every game has to be 'Live Aware' and Microsoft are pushing hard to get every game possible to have online components then yes, there should be a lot more online games for the console.

And I think the fact that Xbox Live provides reliable central servers and a simple interface with automatic match making that makes it easy to get online in any given game I think it could prove better than PC in the long run.

And just my opinion, but sitting on a couch with a joypad in front of a big tv is much better than sitting up at a computer desk using mouse and keyboard.

PC gaming has its advantages though, games are cheaper, there's always mods and freeware stuff coming out, and some genres just don't work on consoles.

Yeah...what he said :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Fieldog wrote:
    Halo 2 does work on the 360 as long as ur connected to Xbox Live.......

u dont need to be connected to xbox live to play halo 2

also i noticed when i first booted up my old copy of halo2 that all the initial bugs in the fmv's are no longer present & it looks slightly prettier (think they up'd the resolution)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Fieldog wrote:
    And I read a shocking rumour that microsoft are throwing loads of $$$ in valves direction to make HL3 a 360 exclusive......

definatly wont happen, but i swear to god if it does, i will burn down both microsoft and valve.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Kiith wrote:
    for online gaming, the xbox 360 doesnt even come close to the pc. the pc is, and will be for some time, far ahead of any console for online games. it has a much bigger community (at least in mmo's), and its the home of online games. most of the good online games on consoles are just ports or conversions of pc games (CoD2, BF2 etc...)

and yes, i'm a fanboy

i was going to post the exact same argument and add that it's free to go online with games on PC (i don't play MMO's)

i was going to post the exact same argument and add that it's free to go online with games on PC (i don't play MMO's)

€60 per year is a lot less than keeping your PC up to scratch for the latest games. In the grand scheme of things, between all your paying for hardware and software, its a fairly insignificant amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

I agree with this guy tbh^^

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Get a job you bum^^ :p

Hmm...Saying that is pure hypocracy from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

steviec wrote:
    €60 per year is a lot less than keeping your PC up to scratch for the latest games. In the grand scheme of things, between all your paying for hardware and software, its a fairly insignificant amount.

you'd want to be fairly dedicated to be upgrading like a madman. when you want to get a new graphics card you can sell your current one to someone who just wants something decent and relatively modern for a good price (ref: FS forums).

though i will say, that is cheaper then i thought it was. but the games on 360 aren't going to have the same appeal as PC games (when you're bored of a pc game a new mod/patch will revive it). i also love my keyboard/mouse :D sorry!
    Retr0gamer wrote:
    Get a job you bum^^ :p

Hmm...Saying that is pure hypocracy from me.

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Clank

though i will say, that is cheaper then i thought it was. but the games on 360 aren't going to have the same appeal as PC games (when you're bored of a pc game a new mod/patch will revive it). i also love my keyboard/mouse :D sorry!

lol

Well you just hit the nail on the head there, its all about appeal.
    The problem with PCs are upgrading etc,etc, but console games dont generally come out on the PC, but, now the 360 is starting to bridge that gap.

So the 360 has its console type games coming out, also though with WOW in dev and numerous others, the 360 will be able to achieve and do typically PC only games, with the inclusion of a keyboard and mouse(or new UI)

So now youll have a choice see when someone wants to play WOW, F.E.A.R, and theyre forced to buy a fairly good PC(what say €1500)as their PC can only do emails and office at this stage or a €400 Xbox 360(to go with their big TV anyway) which will they choose??
    Easy choice IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

steviec wrote:
    And I think the fact that Xbox Live provides reliable central servers

:confused:

monument wrote:
    :confused:

Doesn't it?

I thought that MS provided servers that you connect to when you sign in. As opposed to most PC games that rely on someone hosting a game and other players finding them?

I could be completely wrong

Nope opposite way round. PC games are usually hosted on dedicated servers, at least this side of the world with our pewny broadband upload speeds, while on XBL the person who created the lobby is the host.

Hmm then what are we paying for?

I thought that was why stuff like FFXI had their own charge independent of if you subscribed to live or not, because your on Square's server instead of Microsofts.

Well there are MS servers involved, the marketplace for instance, but the games servers themselves are hosted on a local machine. In cod2 for example one player will always have a ping of 0 or close to zero because he's hosting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

If you're going to miss keyboard & mouse controls, consider looking into a PS3. It'll support keyboard & mouse for game control, if the developer so desires (apparently UT2007 on PS3 will support this, for example). PS3 should be out here by Xmas - it's probably worth waiting till nearer then either way, as 360 would no doubt be cheaper by then anyway, and you'd have a much better idea of what's on offer on PS3 to make sure you make a choice you're happy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Microsoft said the devs can support keyboard and mouse in game aswell AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

keyboard and mouse will be supported. Not all live games are hosted by the leader of the lobby, and MS do have dedicated servers for alot of games also.
    i cant see playing close to €2,000 on a new pc, if i can get everything cheaper on 360, and play in the comfort of my living room, with a wireless pad, on a hdtv screen, thats gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

The point of PC's is that they do a lot more than play games, internet, media manipulation, a million other uses, thats why people still use, including myself.

If you are just going to play games get a console. I however would prefer to send that 400 Euro on a new graphics card and still be able to use AutoCAD and Photoshop.

• Advertisement

Thats my problem ya see, I love the comfort of a console and I love PC FPS games.

Mouse and keyboard are great for speed an accuracy but I don't like having to sit at a desk to use em

Advertisement