Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Japanese characters on the pc.

• 14-02-2006 11:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭

Does anyone know how I can get my PC to allow me to Input japanese characters? Would I need a Japanese version of windows? I need to be able to input Japanese in all programs, not just in word processors. Though at the moment I cant even see Japanese characters on the pc, but I just need to find my windows cd to fix that. I think.

I need to get this sorted as I cant even print my College notes at home! A bloody nuisance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭japanpaul

Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Regional and Language Settings.

When the Regional and Language Settings opens click the Languages tab.

Check the "Install files for East Asian Languages" check box and click apply.

The computer may need to restart.

When restarted, return to Regional and Language Settings and click the advanced tab. Ensure that Japanese and whatever else you need is selected.

To install a good dictionary...

Another useful tip. Install firefox from www.firefox.com.

After installation, open firefox and from the menu bar select Tools -> Extensions.

When the extensions page opens click Get More Extensions at the bottom of the page.
    When this page opens do a search for Moji. Download and install moji.

Close firefox and when it opens select View -> Sidebar -> Moji.

I use this dictionary all the time it's great. You can highlight words when you are reading Japanese newspapers etc, and it translates them, also tells you what the individual Kanji mean

Sorry forgot to say you may need a Windows XP CD to install the Japanese characters. I'm sure the college will give you a loan if you don't have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Flashraziel

Thanks a lot! Your a life saver.

Do you still live in Japan? Where do you live?
    I lived in Kyoto last year and I loved it. Cant wait to get back in my 3rd year of my course.

I lived there for 3 years but came back to make some money in the New Celtic Tiger last May. On twice the salary here but only saving half as much as I was in Japan!! Still can't get over how much Ireland has changed (but still no Japanese restaurant in Dublin that sells real Japanese food)
    I'm going to stay here for a few years and improve my engineering skills and hopefully go back in 2009 or 2010.

That firefox extension is great once you get it set up. I read the newspapers on my lunch break to keep my Japanese up to scratch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

Hey, cool Japanpaul, I'm planning on going to japan to work in a couple of years too, just back from holidays on tuesday, absolutely awesome.
    I plan on working here, to gain experience and money, and study Japanese and then head over to live. Maybe another holiday between then and now would be in order.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Flashraziel

I have all the language packs installed but if I try to type in japanese only the a, i, u, e and o sounds appear. any ideas?

Advertisement