Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The weakest link on Newstalk

• 14-02-2006 11:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭

For me it has to be Orla Barry. Its full of english tabloid journalists who go on about crappy tv shows, crappy celebrities, big brother, breast implants, lip implants, implants, and any other issues to do with implants.
    she's trying to make a show that is entertaining, but its just very very boring with nothing new. in one word - fluff. all the other shows on newstalk are very good, original, with good journalism and interviews, especially when you consider its just a local radio station!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

have to agree. tabloid rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

for some reason she seems to be like Gerry Ryan in the 80's, ie always talking about sex..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭ivan087

miketv wrote:
    for some reason she seems to be like Gerry Ryan in the 80's, ie always talking about sex..

yeah that and her feckin housemates and what they watch on tv, which is mainly big brother, celebrity big brother, etc.
    i think she's just just needs a man and that will shut her up and she'll move onto some interesting stories. Obviously she wants to move away from the serious side of things, but what she really needs is some original and interesting content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

In fairness, I think that she is there for the female audience and she does reel them in. I think she is good at what she does and is quite witty, but wouldn't be my favourite by any means.

I personally think that Declan Carty is the weak link but he comes across as a nice guy in fairness to him, I just dont really like his show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭ivan087

besty wrote:
    I personally think that Declan Carty is the weak link but he comes across as a nice guy in fairness to him, I just dont really like his show.

I think he has to be there to give the dublin side of the station. it is, after all, a dublin station. i do like 'hidden dublin' thats done on mondays, i think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

ivan087 wrote:
    I think he has to be there to give the dublin side of the station. it is, after all, a dublin station. i do like 'hidden dublin' thats done on mondays, i think.
    I see where you're coming from, but if Newstalk goes national (which it really should) I think Deco will get the chop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

I think the Orla Barry show works very well in the position it's in for the flow of things during the day, her sometimes irreverance is badly needed after Dunphy, who covers the Serious Issues.

Declan Carty's show fills the local angle as mentioned upthread, things get a little serious again at lunchtime for Damien Kiberd and lots of coverage of business news and some political scandals, then there's a lot of enjoyable silliness for Moncrieff, then George Hook eases us into the commute home with his 'now, explain this to me simply, me and the beautiful Ingrid have never really understood that', and a round up of the day.

For me the weakest link on Newstalk is the Kids Talk thing, i always switch away from that straight away. I miss the Children's court report that used to be on the Moncrieff show once a week, it was a reporter who covered that court talking about the cases.

Advertisement