Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cashing a Foreign Cheque

Options
  • 14-02-2006 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi,
    Can anybody tell me if there is a simple way of cashing a foreign cheque?

I'm not sure if it's crossed yet (hasen't arrived), but if so, can I still go to a bureau de change and cash it there, or will a bank insist on depositing it into my account?

If its not crossed, can I go to a b.d.c. and cash it?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 eeyore's mate

As far as I know if it's not crossed it can be cashed at today's exchange rates (not the rates on the day the cheque was written)
    Wouldn't recommend a BDC though.. rates are often better in your own bank.
    If you are a student.. make sure you show your student ID so you are not charged for exchange rates!
    If crossed then obviously must go into the bank a/c and wait 5 days unless it's the same bank (sterling cheque issued by ulster bank and you go to an ulster bank branch to lodge) then they can call the originating branch and ask them to clear it for you!
    HTH

Advertisement