Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Age Limits

Options
  • 14-02-2006 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if there is a minimum legal age limit for babysitters to mind children? (ie. like we did when we were teenagers)

Don't want to start on the wrong foot here and get into trouble with the authorities. If you know of any site that can confirm this, I'd much appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Kildrought

A child must be 16 or over to have the care of a minor, or 14 or over if the minor is a sibling.

Ref: regulations for employment of minors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Does anyone know of a dedicated site that answers this question please?

Is there an age limit on siblings babysitting?

What is the minimum age allowed for a teenager to be left in home for couple of hours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

http://oasis.gov.ie/employment/employment_rights/protection_of_young_people_in_employment.html?search=teen+employment
    http://www.redcross.ie/news/review/2004/0304h.html
    http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&cr=countryIE&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official_s&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=health+board+&spell=1

wow It is really hard to find this on line I do havea copy of the baby sitters hand book myself but werid that this infomation is not easily searchible.

I wqould suggest getting intouch wit hyour local health boards on the reulgations .
    Children under the age of 14 may not be left alone at home otherwise it is considered abuse through neglect.

I had the same problems trying to get online information.

Turns out that, following a conversation with the Gardai this morning, a 14 yr old is a child until 18 yrs old and as such, if left unaccompanied by an adult for a period of time can be construed as Child Abandonment.

On an aside the Garda said that while they would assume that the 14 yr old is "big and bold enough to look after himself". Should a complaint be made to them, then they would have no option but to report it to social services and then it would become Child Adandonment.

After that, didn't even bother to ask if it was possible for them to mind younger siblings.

Thanks for your help tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭scrattletrap

What it a "period of time" though?

• Advertisement

He didn't specify a definite period of time. I'm assuming it's ok to fly to the shop for ten minutes! What about the kids that go out with their friends? They're not supervised? I give up. Looks like it's no choice in the matter but to keep them attached to the "apron strings" longer than I anticipated. Not that I'm complaining, but 14 yr old boys don't want to go clothes shopping with their mothers!

Advertisement