Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

online Ordnance Survey maps

Options
  • 14-02-2006 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭

quick question..

Anyone know if you can get or view Ordnance Survey maps online?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Here's a few Irish map links that may help:

Link and Link

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

You need a license to view OS maps online. An annual fee. If you contact the OS they can send you out an electronic copy of whatever area you require for a one off fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

squire1 wrote:
    You need a license to view OS maps online. An annual fee. If you contact the OS they can send you out an electronic copy of whatever area you require for a one off fee.
    Yes they can, but you'd better be prepared to take out a bank loan if you do. If the area you're interested in is covered, they have a product called Trailmaster that is primarily aimed at outdoor pursuits, for €99 per area (North, South, East and West). Doesn't cover the whole country though, just the major walking areas really.

I may be wrong but I think it was about €100 for an electronic copy two years ago. The annual fee is around €300 - €400.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

OS protect their copyright aggressively.

If you need an OS map of an area, you're better off just going out and buying one in Easons. Anything you find online will be crap. If you only need a map for rough reference, you should be able to find something online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

i was actually looking for a detailed map of a particular area showing boundaries of land etc... would you be able to get the likes of this in Easons?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

i was actually looking for a detailed map of a particular area showing boundaries of land etc... would you be able to get the likes of this in Easons?
    Wouldn't have thought so. I'd say the Land Registry would be your first port of call for that kind of detailed information.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

squire1 wrote:

It would be expensive. For some stupid reason, the ordinance survey was put under the department of finance. They look at it as a revenue generation unit, rather than a public service that has all ready been paid for through taxes....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Costs are ridiculous. I looked into this before. This is what I found out:
    The service costs in the range of €10,000+ for a basic system. The cost includes resources to manage the system, the mapping and address database data (which otherwise is very expensive), data updates and administration.

You can find more information online at: http://www.gamma.ie/address_link(hosted).html
    Clients include the routing service for www.ireland.ie (http://www.map.ireland.ie/route/map.asp) and Tesco deliveries (www.tesco.ie)

:eek: :eek:

I also have this file if you want to have a look.

If you just want to have a look at an area, why not just try the links I posted? Are these not what you're looking for?

Skywalker, is this for a planning application of a land sale deal? If for planning then you will need an OS map which shows boundrys, levels, etc, if land sale then land registary may help. You will not get accurate information like this in Easons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

Hi squire1, its not for an application or anything... just researching other applications in the area and all applications have an OS map reference number....

Ahhhhh. The penny drops.:rolleyes: You want to type in the OS ref and it will show the location of the planned house on a Map? Cant help you there, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭backboiler

If you're in Dublin City Council's area then this site might be of some help. It shows boundaries of properties with planning applications in the last few years. It's extremely slow, hard to use, unstable and seems to lay out correctly only with that Microsoft abomination, Internet Explorer.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

you can buy whats called a planning pack at any OS office.....just give them the address. I got one a few years ago and it contained site maps, OS maps for a planning application...cost was about €60

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭vallo

If you know any students in UCD you can get them to go to the library on the Clonskeagh entrance side of the campus and get a map of any area to any scale for 1 euro.
    You don't even need eastings and northings - a street name and number will do.
    The student would have to say it's for educational purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

There's a shop on Aungier St. that can get you these maps. http://www.irishmaps.ie/

Advertisement