Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best deal on new Vw Golf

Options
  • 14-02-2006 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Does anyone know what I should expect to pay for a new golf. Its the basic model, 5 door, black. The list price is a little over €20k but there must be some room for negotiating. Nissan give you a new car a year later!!!
    Has anyone out there bought one and got a good deal?
    Where is the best place to go? i.e. should i look at dealers outside Dublin.
    It has to be a new one really. No second hand deals.

Comments

Have a look here
    http://www.cbg.ie/new.asp?Make=VW&Model=Golf&mkID=new44&modID=321&QuickSearch=Search+New+Cars

If you have no trade in, ask the dealer for the cash price.

VWs are all over the place so there is some scope for haggling further.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

nantony98 wrote:
    Does anyone know what I should expect to pay for a new golf. Its the basic model, 5 door, black. The list price is a little over €20k but there must be some room for negotiating. Nissan give you a new car a year later!!!
    Has anyone out there bought one and got a good deal?
    Where is the best place to go? i.e. should i look at dealers outside Dublin.
    It has to be a new one really. No second hand deals.

VW dealers in my experience are hard cookies to crack. The Golf sells well for them so they may not be eager to give you too much discount off one especially at this time of year when new cars are sailing out of the showrooms. If it costs €20k I would be expecting to get it for at least a shade under €19k. Be prepared to shop around and travel in order to get the best deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

I'm from Dubllin and got a new MK5 from Micheal Moore in Portarlington last August.

I was trading in a '98 MK4 and got a few trade-in prices from a few dealers in Dublin. The best price I got for it here was €6500 from McAllisters in Airside. So I rang Brendan Moore in Portarlington and he beat their price by €500 over the phone and the deal was done! He didn;t even look at it! He also thru in spot lights as an extra for good measure!

Don't think I'll ever buy a car in Dublin again.........buying down the country is the way forward!

flanzer wrote:
    I'm from Dubllin and got a new MK5 from Micheal Moore in Portarlington last August.

I was trading in a '98 MK4 and got a few trade-in prices from a few dealers in Dublin. The best price I got for it here was €6500 from McAllisters in Airside. So I rang Brendan Moore in Portarlington and he beat their price by €500 over the phone and the deal was done! He didn;t even look at it! He also thru in spot lights as an extra for good measure!

Don't think I'll ever buy a car in Dublin again.........buying down the country is the way forward!

It is definately worth a try but the fact that you were buying a new car in August may have had an influence on the deal. Not a huge numbers of new cars leaving the showroom in August compared to this time of year. A salesman may be more more eager to drop the price on a new car in August than in February or March.

Saying that the OP should give me a shot anyway as they have nothing to loose except the price of a phone call.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

...........definitely avoid Dublin garages especially the one mentioned above. My sister in law went to trade a perfect low mileage '04 Megane for a Passat. They gave her a pittance trade in price...............she went to Wexford and they bettered her trade in price by a whopping €3000 !!

Now there is no mistake in these prices.............I'm serious ! Its not that the price she has done the deal at is anything special, the Wexford dealer is giving her an honest trade in price whilst the Dublin fools are trying to rip people off !

This isn't the first time I've had this experience either, last time when she was buying the Megane the local Opel dealer gave her a cr4p price and I went up to Dundalk and she was better off by €1500 AND got free alarm, mats and mudflaps !

I will never buy a car in Dublin again !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

A VW dealer gave me his price list before and said he has a 10% margin on a new car. He said he normally gave away half, but would give most of it away if it meant making a sale. You should be looking at about 7% off the list I reckon... it is the best I could get on an Octavia until I was tempted by a s/h car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭oilsheik

I bought a Mk5 Golf recently having ordered it in Nov'05. I not from Dublin so don't have any experience of their pricing however I'd have to agree with reply which said Michael Moore in Portarlington offered very competitive pricing. Also competitive was Laharts in Kilkeeny. Garages which were poor on pricing were Sheehy's (Carlow) and Tom Murphy (Waterford). Tom Murphy in particular wanted to offer me €8k for a 01 Comfortline 1.4. over €2k less than Sheehys. Another thing to watch out between garages is delivery charges for a new Golf it ranges from €800 to €350. Good luck in your search.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

for a straight deal, expect 1300-1400 off

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

i got over 2 grand off for a 1.6 fsi auto golf that should be built any day now, but i know for a fact max discount on a 1.4 base is circa 1300 ish.
    pm me if u want details of the garage name in dublin, who are very friendly and wont mess u about.

they have a bit more wedge to give away in the 1.6 Auto, also they can sell 1.4 Base models all day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

In my experience, most people in Ireland don't even consider haggling - they just pay list price for anything they purchase

On most cars I'd expect to get at least 10% off as my target and more for every option I tick. On some cars I'd expect a lot more than that. I would not consider buying any new Citroen for more than 70% of the list price tbh

You have to get your timings right to maximise your discount

Jason Dawe in the UK regularly gets 30-40% off the list price. Not on a single deal, no, on a deal available to anyone. Respect!

Totally agree Unkel, I know a few people like that who have paid the first price the dealer quoted. :eek: Easiest sale ever made I reckon. No work on the dealer part at all. Some people think they are buying a loaf of bread or something and that the price being asked is the price they pay.

Maybe it is the Celtic Tiger that has made money so cheap to us.

bazz26 wrote:

Maybe it is the Celtic Tiger that has made money so cheap to us.

or maybe those (the majority) who buy on 7.6% loans dont care as the per week payments are basically the same whether u get 1% off or 10. people buying with cash are more eager to want discounts as its 'their' money

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

unkel wrote:
    Jason Dawe in the UK regularly gets 30-40% off the list price. Not on a single deal, no, on a deal available to anyone. Respect!

You wont get that here (was that 30% on an Irish spec import I wonder...). As I said, after trying exhaustively I could not get any better than 7% or so from Skoda, i.e. no one else would match or better the lowest price available. I think the 10% is well achieveable on a VW though.

True about people buying on finance v those cracking open the piggy bank though.

Irish dealers don't have massive margins, relative to the UK. 7% discount is about right

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

colm_mcm wrote:
    Irish dealers don't have massive margins, relative to the UK. 7% discount is about right

They wouldn't selling the same number here as the UK I'd assume.

that, and the fact that they have to keep the post-VRT price affordable.

nantony98 wrote:
    . Nissan give you a new car a year later!!!

you have to pay the full price for the Almera, a €21,000 car that frequently sells as a pre-reg in auctions for €16,000 with zero mileage. added to that you have to sign up to Nissan credit's hire purchase agreement. not the cheapest around by any means. and the most crucial thing, you have to adhere to a mileage and condition agreement.
    Added to that, the Almera is out of date in 2006, never mind 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

maidhc wrote:
    You wont get that here (was that 30% on an Irish spec import I wonder...)

Perhaps not, but do people try hard enough?
    maidhc wrote:
    after trying exhaustively I could not get any better than 7% or so from Skoda

I got 12% off a new (low end) Skoda Octavia - a car with a relatively very low margin. Most cars have a much higher margin, so plenty of € to be saved

My deal was iirc list Skoda Octavia 1.4 Ambiente about €18.2k on the road price (most people forget to add the extra cost to get the car on the road - I don't). Metallic paint and remote alarm / immobiliser upped that to €19k. Paid €17k, so 12% off

unkel wrote:
    I got 12% off a new (low end) Skoda Octavia - a car with a relatively very low margin. Most cars have a much higher margin, so plenty of € to be saved

Thats a great price for sure, but maybe they discount skoda more than vw?

• Advertisement
Advertisement