Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Deal For BB, TV & Phone

• 14-02-2006 3:27pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm in the process of buying a house in the Finnstown area of Lucan.

At the moment all I know is that the house is broadband and tv(analouge) ready.

Becasuse the deal isnt done yet I cant get the phone number to the house (as far as I know the house doesnt have a phone as its rented) but since its BB ready there should be a line there.

So I was just wondering with people living in the area what is the best broadband/tv package (I want an digital version of the ntl basic package at least). I'm not overly fussed about getting a telephone (will use mobile) but it maybe a deal breaker.

Ideally what I would like would be digital tv (basic tv with in digital would do me) and a broadband provider with a decent cap a decent speeds (will use BB for surfing emails (can be big if dor work) and P2P stuff and xbox live).

Have checked out all the main players but dont know how they fair out in Lucan. Have BT at home at present and that would do me fine it thats any help to you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Hi

If you can get NTL broadband in your area go for it, after you can get telephone via Voice over IP you can get a trial account with a VOIP provider like Blueface.ie, Smart076.ie, freespeech.ie

for more info on VOIP you can visit the Voip Forum

Regards

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

So a combined NTL BB&TV package would be the best way to go if NTL can service the house?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

kearnsr wrote:
    So a combined NTL BB&TV package would be the best way to go if NTL can service the house?

Yes

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

nava wrote:
    Yes

NTL wrote:
    2. Basic Digital + broadband - €10.00 per month for the Digital Max Package or €5.00 per month for th Digital Select Package. Broadband - €24.99 1MB Service - €29.99 2MB Service - €39.99 3MB Service per month

What are the different services like?

I'd pay the extra €5 for the 2mb one but the 3mb has a bigger cap.

How much would xbox live eat up of my cap?

What are NTL like for going over your cap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭ghost26ie

you could try magnet or ntl. as for voip you can get skype.

• Advertisement

ghost26ie wrote:
    you could try magnet or ntl. as for voip you can get skype.

I'm not sure if magnet can get tv to me. The house is 5 years old so I dont think its wired for Magnet (it needs a special cable for its TV service doesnt it?)

As I said telephone isnt the most important things. I use skype all read so I know about that

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

kearnsr wrote:
    What are the different services like?

I'd pay the extra €5 for the 2mb one but the 3mb has a bigger cap.

How much would xbox live eat up of my cap?

What are NTL like for going over your cap?

All packages are very good, it just depends on your needs.

2mb sounds good for you, Xbox live wouldn't use much of the cap. You would only need to worry about the cap if you use a lot of p2p apps.

NTL are very easy going about the caps. The only thing they have ever done in the past is send letters to a couple of people who regularly went way over the cap and asked them to reduce their usage. AFAIK they have never charged anyone for going over the cap and they have never thrown anyone off.

BTW NTL will give you the 3m product free for the first 3 months, after that you can downgrade to 2m. That way you can see what it is like.

BBTW There are rumours that the 3m product will be upgraded to 10m at the end of the month :)

BBBTW In order to get BB and digital TV from NTL you must also pay for analogue TV. So the total cost would be Analgoue TV €20 + Digital TV €10 + 2m BB €30 = €60

Advertisement