Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bolting Into Concrete/Insertion Rubber

Options
  • 14-02-2006 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    Well I've laid the concrete for my lathe, thanks to those who helped by the way:) and it's now set. I need to bolt the cast iron legs of my lathe to the concrete. I've never bolted something into concrete like this before and I really don't want to ruin the concrete I put down. So what tools and bolts or screws will I need does anyone know?

I was also told to put some insertion rubber between the concrete and the legs of the lathe to absorb vibration. I was told I would need 6mm insertion rubber, this is the stuff that has a little weave through it. Does anyone have any idea where I'd pick this up? I only need a tiny bit, I'd say a square foot of it would do.

Any feedback appreciated:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

theres special bolts for stuff that vibrates they're called chem-bolts or something like that used for large washers and that sort of stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi cormie,

I think you might do well to contact Kadman and the other gents in the Wood Turning section.

Cast Iron can be very brittle and it does not like shocks of any kind, bolting it to the floor is simple enough, I doubt that you will do any harm to your floor.

It's the rubber pads I would be more concerned about, they have to make up for the movement that your cast iron can't absorb, I am guessing here but I expect you will only get one chance at choosing the correct product.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

cormie wrote:
    I was also told to put some insertion rubber between the concrete and the legs of the lathe to absorb vibration. I was told I would need 6mm insertion rubber, this is the stuff that has a little weave through it. Does anyone have any idea where I'd pick this up? I only need a tiny bit, I'd say a square foot of it would do.
    :)

I know it as Tico Pad

See http://www.tiflex.co.uk/Download_Brochures/Industrial_products.pdf#search='tico pad' for some good advice

Lister Machine Tools (Bluebell Ind Est) would propably have it - though I would have thought whoever supplied the lathe would also have it

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the replies everyone:)

So Would I have to use the chem bolts with the tico pads then? Which of the products in that pdf file would I be best going for? Are these pads expensive?

Here are some details of the lathe:

SIP_01490.jpg
    Overall Length mm – 1500
    Motor – 550W (3/4hp)
    Net weight kg – 115
    Large capacity of 1200 x 350mm
    Variable speed 500 - 2000rpm

Perhaps some of them features will make a difference?

There is about 100mm either side of each leg of concrete. The concrete slab is about 4 1/2 foot (length between legs and 100mm either side) it's perhaps 2ft deep and is a mix of 8 bags of cement and 24 bags of sand or there abouts so that's say 750KG of concrete under a 115 KG lathe.

I think that's all the info that could make a difference.

if it's new your supplier or manufacturer would advise you.there could be warranty issues with stuff that needs to be specially bolted

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Irjudge1

Chemical anchor bolts are basically rag bolts with a two pac adhesive/grout which gives added resistance to tensile forces pulling the bolts out of the concrete.
    There are a number of suppliers around Calcon, Fosroc, Hilti and they all have technical advisory services. If they don't do direct sales they will be able to advise what you need and where you can get it from.

Fosroc Republic of Ireland
    Denis O’Shaughnessy
    E-mail: denis_oshaughnessy@fosroc.com Mobile: 086 2642678

Hilti (Ireland) Limited
    Phone: 1850 287 387
    Fax: 1800 654 600

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the feedback IrJudge1, are you talking about the same things davelerave recommended do you think?:
    theres special bolts for stuff that vibrates they're called chem-bolts or something like that used for large washers and that sort of stuff

So, I'd just use these things, bolt it down through the legs and the Tico padding stuff. What's the best way to bore the hole in the concrete? Hammer drill thingy?

cormie wrote:
    Thanks for the feedback IrJudge1, are you talking about the same things davelerave recommended do you think?:

So, I'd just use these things, bolt it down through the legs and the Tico padding stuff. What's the best way to bore the hole in the concrete? Hammer drill thingy?
    i'm not recommending anything as i know little about them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Irjudge1

I can't be sure if I am talking about the same thing as Dave. Chemical anchor bolts have a higher tensile capacity than normal anchor bolts. Holes are drilled for these bolts using a hammer action drill then the chemical grout and bolt inserted. The suppliers can give you detailing of setting times etc.

If you can find anything in the technical literature about the tensile capacity let me know and I'll spec the bolts.

Advertisement