Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smarts Wireless Router

• 14-02-2006 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭

Hey,

Im signing up for Smart this week and I was wondering if the wireless router they provide is any good? Its e140m which seems expensive considering Eircom will provide one for e40. I live in a large duplex apartment, will it be have a strong enough signal to cover the whole apartment? Thanks for any advice

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭crol

you're better off sourcing your own one imho, make sure its adsl 2+ though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Pep

Cheers, wheres the best place to find one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

crol wrote:
    you're better off sourcing your own one imho, make sure its adsl 2+ though.

No need to get an adsl2+ one - you can use any router connected to smarts wired router. It's only if you want to keep things neat (i.e. one box) that you'll need a combined wireless router and adsl2+ modem.

I'm using a standard Belkin router - it covers all three stories of my house and most of my in-laws house across the road!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭opus

I got the Linksys WAG354G from Argos for €99, it's got the ADSL2+ modem built in & worked first time with Smart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Pep

thanks lads

Digitaldr, how much did the belkin router cost?

Opus, what was the range of your router?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 mhenness

digitaldr, I have a Netgear DG384v1 wireless router. It should work for ADSL2+ but it usually loosing connection on a regular basis to Smarts service. How did you connect Smarts wired router to your Belkin in order to get a wireless network. I'm considering buying a Billion wireless ADSL2+ router but if I don't have to I would prefer not to fork out more cash :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

mhenness wrote:
    Its e140m which seems expensive considering Eircom will provide one for e40
    It does seem expensive. I picked up a second hand Eircom one on ebay for €16. Rock solid (I'm with Imagine mind)
    mhenness wrote:
    digitaldr, I have a Netgear DG384v1 wireless router. It should work for ADSL2+ but it usually loosing connection on a regular basis to Smarts service.
    I had a Netgear wireless router connected to a DLink modem router. The Dlink worked fine for months on end but I had no end of problems with the Netgear loosing connections.

In my mind for these kinds of things you'd be better of trying to get one of the models the Operator provides (i.e. Netopia from Eircom) - the operator is going to be pretty sure the devices they buy are 100% reliable as they don't want a couple of thousand customers having problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 mhenness

Well one of the nice things about the netgear router is that it provides a dynamic dns feature. When I was with BT the router stayed connected without a problem even though it was not their chosen model. I would like to connect my netgear to Smarts router so that I can get a reliable DSL connection and then use the netgear to connect up my wireless devices. I think to do this I may have to use an ethernet bridge. If I have to buy one of those then I may be better off buying a wireless router that is reliable for an ADSL2+ network rather than messing about with various bits and pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Pep wrote:
    thanks lads

Digitaldr, how much did the belkin router cost?

Opus, what was the range of your router?

Think it cost around €65 - bought it ages ago from www.microaid.ie but if I was buying it now I'd probably pick one up on Ebay. It's really easy to set up - I just connected it to the Smart wired router with the supplied cable and that was it apart from enabling the security settings etc. At the moment there are 2 PCs, 2 laptops, a PDA and and Xbox 360 connected to it with no problems!

Advertisement