Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shaving Experiences from Guys

• 14-02-2006 4:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

Im hoping guys here can give me some input on a problem Im having. My problem comes from having dry/sensitive skin. Ive got eczema (which flares up every now and again but cremes usually work) and Ive been told by my doctor its the reason I have such dry and sensitive skin on my face. So everytime I shave one of two things happens to my skin.

If Im lucky my skin wont break out in a rash but it will dry out completely so Ive to use an aftershave balm and then something like E-45 a few times otherwise my skin starts to flake.

If im unlucky my skin will instantly break out in a red rash that will take a day or two to go away no matter what I put on it.

I usually get a good shave if I have long stubble (+3mm) as it seems to soften a bit the problem is when I have short stubble it doesnt matter what I use I still end up looking like I scratched rather than shaved. I woudlnt say I have thick facial hair but its bloody tough - after Ive shaved maybe 4-6 times with a brand new Mach3 razor blade its blunt and a gives a very poor shave and if I use it with short stuble I end up lookin like a Tomato.

Ive recently just started a new job which has a much higher standard dress code than my previous jobs and as a result Ive to shave every day so that I dont look scruffy (which really stands out in a negative way in the office). Shaving every day is really irritating my skin. Ive tried every product under the sun and so far the best combination Ive found is to use a Mach 3 Turbo, a shaving oil rather than a shaving foam, Nivea aftershave balm and then two/three applications of E45 but 3/4 mornings that will leave my skin inflamed and dried out by the time I get to work. Ive always used a wet blade to shave and I like how you get such a smooth close shave with a wet blade but but the cost of blades now is rediuclous and Im going through a pack of 4 a month so I have to look at other options.

As far as I know I can use an electric which will be kinder on my skin but wont give me as close a shave as Im used to (but I can live with some shadow stubble) or a striaght blade. Im just wondering if anyone can reccomend either or a particular shaver etc?

Who uses what electrics and are they any good?

Does anyone here use a striaght blade?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

I use aloe vera gel, very good for shaving and sensitive skin :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Chavster

If i shave everyday then i come out in a hideous red itchy rash. My work is pretty leniant about facial hair so it's not a problem if i don't shave everyday.

You could get a doctors note to say you can't shave every day due to the condition of your skin. Don't know if that would go down well with your work but they can't reasonably demand you go against doctor's orders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

Im in the exact same postition as the OP. I have incrediably dry skin and it gets so bad whenever i shaved. That is untill i tried out the king of shaves, shaving oil. Its all natural oil and it works brilliantly. Iv been using it for over a year now and im still on the same bottle that cost me 5euro. Those foams are packed full of chemicals which dont agree with dry skin.
    And id also advise investment in a decent razor-not disposables. Go for a mach3 or wilkinson sword quattro. Iv tried nearly every other razor and these two have been by far the best. I even spent a fortune on a phillishave cool skin, hoping it would help. If anything it made it much worse-red patches started appearing even after using it for 3-4 months. Biggest waste of space, and now its up in my room gathering dust.
    Thirdly, dont use after shave balms. Invest in some Clinique M Lotion. Its amazing stuff. 25-30euro for a tube of it, but again it works wonders and will last you a long long time.
    Having used all of the above, i have never had a bad reaction to a shave,my dry skin has gone away and my face doesnt feel so tight anymore. Give it a go-you'l thank yourself later for spending that bit more on yourself when your face feels much nicer!!
    Hope that helps.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

bedlam wrote:
    Some of the higher end electric razors will give you just as good a shave or so I am lead to believe.

Assuming you havn't already, ask your doctor about protopic, it really is great for treating eczema and then use the e45 to moisturise if the skin gets dry.

If you suffer in any way from bad eczema protopic is exactly what you need! Have you considered shaving the night before? Shave just before you go to bed and slap on some emulsifing ointment (It comes in tubs and is WAY better then e45) or if you skin is sore use the protopic. Unless your half man half beast your stuble won't be back till evening time the following day and your skin will be in perfect nick every morning. You'll even get an extra ten minutes in bed :D
    I used to use an electric razor but to be honest I found using a razor to be far better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭PDD

Hi Guys,

Cheers for the feedback, much appreciated. My eczema is pretty much under control (it only breaks out during the summer at sweaty places e.g back of my knees etc). I use the Nivea Aftershave balm for sensitive skin with Aloe Vera and it works pretty good too but I would have to apply it then wait then mins and apply it again. Id need to apply it about 3 times or my skin would just be drier later on in the day.

As for the office thing nothing in work has been said to me but I know its been noticed. As my facial hair grows slowly it usually takes about 2/3 days before its a length to shave without irritation. Its just a general overall look of scruffiness and how its seen within the company rather than something specific that has been brought up.

Does anyone use an electric and how do they find it?

Dave

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Sorry, I know this was a question for the guys....

My husband has sensitive skin, especially in relation to shaving but has always had wet shaves....for Christmas I bought him a Philishave Coolskin....the one that has the little nivea cartridges....it was quite pricey but he swears he will never go back to wet shaving again.....for a brilliant moisturiser try aqueous cream - it is really cheap & will be sold over the counter in most chemists ....it is more commonly used as a baby moisturiser as it has no added colours or fragrances, all of which make it great for sensitive skin....

best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I use a Braun 4775. It's excellent, gives almost but not quite as good a shave as a wet shave. I started using it when I got a recurring case of acne, as an electric shaver supposedly aggravates acne less than a wet razor.

I throw some water on my face afterwards, pat it dry, and put on some of the sensitive Nivea aftershave balm or some Nivea for Men oil control moisturiser.

Something you probably know, but avoid aftershave or any product that contains any alcohol to avoid irritating your skin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Its all natural oil and it works brilliantly. Iv been using it for over a year now and im still on the same bottle that cost me 5euro.

i have same problem as OP
    what is the name or brand of the oil?

TBH i use baby oil after a shave and it does the trick, takes ages to "soak" into the skin so your skin doesnt get dry quickly, and if it does just re-apply.

i used to have really bad ezcema and nothing but strong cortizone creams work(but they take the pigment out of your skin, so docs dont like prescirbing them). My hands suffer worst from dry skin.. I am only 21 but my hands like like 70-80 year olds. Baby oil doesnt really moousturise them though as it soaks in way too fast on them as they are SO dry... dont know what to use for them, any suggestions? id like to get something that i could carry around and use it when they get really dry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,501 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I'm the same, gave up on wet razors years ago as it just left me feeling very itchy and red after shaving..the worst possible combination.

After experimenting with various electric shavers have settled on a Remington R9300, the triple head dry shave seems to be most kind on the sensitive skin.

The foil type shavers rip the face off me so gave up on them, I did try a couple of cheaper triple head shavers too before I found the Remington - lesson learned - don't skimp on a good razor.

As others have pointed out - for moisturising the more simple the better, emulsifying ointment or just simple vaseline is best.

I found after using e45 for a long time that my skin seemed to develop an intolerance for it, which hasnt happened with emulsifying ointment or vaseline.

If you are lucky enough not to be a hairy person then shaving the night before is a good idea and maybe at luchtime in work too if there are important meetings.
    I find if i'm at home i'll scratch every tickle on my neck making it glow like Rudophs nose, but in work have to be more restrained and the temptation passes quickly enough as am inevitably distracted by other things.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,501 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

gline wrote:
    Baby oil doesnt really moousturise them though as it soaks in way too fast on them as they are SO dry... dont know what to use for them, any suggestions? id like to get something that i could carry around and use it when they get really dry.

Know exactly how you feel, believe it or not, I've found vaseline to be the best moisturiser that doesnt vanish and my skin doesnt seem to develop an intolerance for over time. it leaves it shiny, but tbh, thats a very small burden to bare to the maddening tightening itchy effect that developes during the day.

Other than that, drink as much water as you can during the day, seriously! , there is nothing better to help your skin.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭andrew1977

I also suffer from bad dry sking ,especially after shaving

May i recommend a face cream called "Eucerin " , its about 8/9 for a small tube which lasts ages .Use it after shaving and you will notice the amazing difference

My face would flake up after shaving until i discovered this cream
    I cannot fault it in any way and i have tried all sorts of dry skin cream ,it is the best i have tried
    May i recommend emulave wash also,around 10 euro a bottle also,wash b4 shave with this stuff and will work a treat in addition to the eucerin face cream
    hope it helps you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Have you tried shaving in the shower? Or using a shaving brush and soap?

Personally I use the Philishave with the moisturiser, which works great. I'd check that out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭mickymg2003

Try some aloe vera, preferbly you could buy a plant and get it straight out of that. Its really good for skin problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Mac 3

Hi,

Same problem as the OP, i found the shaving oil good, but one to try is "King of Shaves" gel(green and silver tin), or one I found even better was a Shaving gel by an Australian Company called Original Source. They used to be sold by Tesco and some Pharmacies but seem to have disappeared over the last 12 months. The tin was a bright green, very eye catching. I got it in Tesco up in Portadown last time.

I have to shave everyday other wise it drives me mad with itching. I have average enough growth, I have to shave every day. Been there, at least I know I dont suffer by myself..

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭SxE Punk

Have you tried getting your job to make an exception for you on the facial hair issue? Maybe alllow you to keep it trimmed or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Why don't you grow a beard like me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

SxE Punk wrote:
    Have you tried getting your job to make an exception for you on the facial hair issue? Maybe alllow you to keep it trimmed or something?

or grow a bigass beard and it will look cool, i did :) so i only shave the sides now and it is half as bad, hehehe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The more expensive electric razors will do just as good a job as wet razors. The only thing missing is the damp, baby-smooth feel. It just becomes a dry, baby-smooth feel. You need to spend upwards of €100 for a decent one though.

The best advice I can give you is to stop shaving when you get up. Have your shave before you go to bed, apply your moisturiser of choice, and head to bed. At the very least it gives you face time to repair itself without having to deal with the outside world (cold winds, rain, etc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Maybe I've just become cynical from too much time on the net, but I was really suprised this thread was about the face.
    Also wash your face with regular soap right before shaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Crucifix wrote:
    Maybe I've just become cynical from too much time on the net, but I was really suprised this thread was about the face.
    Also wash your face with regular soap right before shaving.

Soap irritates and dries your skin out, don't put in anywhere near your face.

• Advertisement
Advertisement