Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What font style and size to use in an essay?

Options
  • 14-02-2006 4:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭

Its a proper term paper, what is expected/considered good, any tips, I have to do 1.5 spacing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Sandals

Any links to where i could get more advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

If you are doing this in Word please be careful using farfelou typefaces. If the person opening the file has not got the font on his/her machine it will probably come out in default or even worse - courrier!!!

A serif (Times New Roman) for body text and sans (Ariel) for headings is the usual.

If the typeface changes then the spaces wraps are all over the place. Instead if 1.5 line spacing (obviously for clarity) why not try a fixed line spacing e.g. 11pt on 15pt which would be less awkward looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Sandals

ok cool.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

the word default of arial for headings and times new roman are usually good choices. make sure to use the headings/styles and not manually do font size/underline/bold. that way you can change all the headings for example with just one or two clicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

1.5 spacing, Times New Roman is the usual settings I use. For college work (in my college at least) that is what is expected unless stated otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Your college should have a policy on formatting. Deviating from this could render your paper unmarkable. This is to ensure fairness across the board. From what I remember, they usually insist on 1.5 spacing, 12pt Times New Roman, with 1" (or 2.5cm) margins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

I like using Tahoma in my essays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Diarmiud

Times New Roman, size 12, 1.5 line spacing for main body
    Headings: Times New Roman, size 14

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

As seamus says, you college will normally have guidelines, even if it's just Serif or Sans.... if you move away from this, you may be marked down.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭Banphrionsa

Diarmiud wrote:
    Times New Roman, size 12, 1.5 line spacing for main body
    Headings: Times New Roman, size 14

Boldface, when appropriate?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 darth insidiari

I know this is an old thread but I think it's worth saying that your department should have a style sheet and the MLA Handbook style is typical in university. Anything not in 12 pt New Times Roman, 1.5 spaced just would not be acceptable to my department and it's the standard throughout my university. I don't know where you or the first few posters study but style is generally fixed and taken quite seriously. You could throw away marks needlessly.

Advertisement