Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need new clutch €€€€

Options
  • 14-02-2006 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

was driving home from dublin to kildare last week and got as far as kill when all of a sudden the gears became very hard to change, just managed to get home. Brought into garage next day and they took a look at it for me and drove it etc. They rang me and said everything was fine, that it must have been a spring or something but that its working now.
    So i said fine thats grand.
    Anyway, i collected the car that evening and headed off to carlow, the second i drove the car i knew it wasnt right and by the time i hit castledermot i had broke down. The gears were completly stuck.

So now i just got the cost of a new clutch form a different garage + labour = 1000e. ouch.

would it have made a difference if the first garage had spotted it or would it all have to be replaced anyway. ie. did i make it worse by driving it.anybody any thoughts? im not impressed!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

That's expensive I would think. What car? Was it a dealer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

:eek: What are you driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

Sounds very expensive....are ya drivin an S-class merc or summit...I rang up about my clutch a while ago and it was <€500

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

How could a new clutch cost a grand. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭richardson2525

you def sure its actually the clutch itself? Check the clutch hydraulic system for leaks. ie. the resevoir, master cylinder, slave cylinder and lines. That's a fair bit cheaper to remedy than the clutch itself.
    I had similar symptyoms myself 2 weeks ago driving from Limerick to Dublin and found it was a leaking master cylinder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Tension the cable, but a grand, seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Take it somewhere else :eek:

Clutch job is 250 to 350 usually, unless your car is really oddball or if they think they can pull a fast one. Clutch itself is about 150. So that's what, 400 to 500 euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭oneillk

its a 00 freelander.
    I was told from one garage that they wouldn do it casue freelanders were to tricky to do. So when i went to this place i was expecting it to be expensive, but not that expensive.
    He said it needs four new parts, cant remember what he called them but he said is was difficult and expensive to do. (which is what the other garge siad)
    so i dont know? he sound genuine but, $$$$$$$$

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Get a write quotation for this first and shop around so you ll know parts are required.

I know the Master Cylinder is expensive but the clutch should be a couple of hundred.

When a garage says that a job is tricky thats code for we're not that experienced in doing this and there maybe a chance that we'll feck it up but we'll charge you for the time anyway for taking it slow.

Find someone that can do the job and explain how the job is to be done.

Before i get any work done to my car at Opel I read up on the haynes manual how its done and then ask the Garage to explain what needs to be done. If the two match then i go ahead with the work, otherwise i find someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

oneillk wrote:
    He said it needs four new parts, cant remember what he called them

That's why you were quoted a grand, shop around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

If it needs a flywheel as well as the clutch it could well come to a grand with labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

The only parts to a clutchy are pressure plate, disc and clutch release bearing. The Landrover being 4WD will have a substantioal gearbox as it incorporates the transfer box too !

They will be a lot of labour on this but the parts should be no more than €200 IMO.

Shop around, avoid main stealers, but ensure its isn't a back street garage as one with a vehicle lift will ensure less labour hours !

You just MIGHT have change out of a grand after VAT if you are lucky !

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭oneillk

thanks for the replies,
    yea the price includes labour and parts, its not a back street garage he said it was goin to be mostly labour as he shoped around for the parts.
    i suppose its prob a fair price then? (based on MercMad and maidhc's comments).

Advertisement