Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do guards have to be so Ignorant

Options
  • 14-02-2006 6:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Just an experience I had today. I wonder what others think..
    I had to produce my Insurance at Ballymun Garda Station by today..(Nothing I had done wrong,just The insurance company had sent the cert & disc to the jobs old address.
    The cert wasn't ready in time so Eagle Star sent a fax Showing the Registration of the vehicle insured, my name as the insured driver & the Insurance cert number etc...
    I arrived at the counter to be greeted with the words "What do YOU want?"
    I started to explain the story but was abruptly interupted with "Thats no good produce you cert or nothing"
    He didn't even look to see what I was showing him..
    I got another abrupt answer "Nothing to do with me"...
    "Worry about it when you get your summons"
    Luckily a friend knew a Guard in another station who was more than happy to take this letter & sort everything out.He couldn't understand why the Guard in Ballymun couldn't have done the same.
    With this attitude it is no wonder they have such a bad name!
    PS.. Theres aletter on the way to the Garda Complaints Comission tomorrow.Don't know if it will do any good, but it will make me feel better..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Theres been two stories recently in the papers and on boards.ie

1. A man driving his wife who was in labour to the hospital ran a red light in the dead of night on an empty street (instead of waiting for the child to be born into the glovebox) - ignorant guards (who have yet to catch a real criminal in last 2.75 years) dragged him out of car and beat him up as his wife pleaded with them to stop and he begged for her to get treatment [?]

2. Some poor boards.ie poster had the keystone cops kicking in the doors in his house by mistake - reckons there was 40 of them showed up in the dead of night?

P.S. I live in Limerick and in my opinion our local p0leece avoid the lawbreakers to the same extent that I do, ie. as much as possible.

P.P.S Thats not even mentioning the ones mowing people down while re-enacting scenes out of Hillstreet Blues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭boardy

The Hummer wrote:
    PS.. Theres aletter on the way to the Garda Complaints Comission tomorrow.Don't know if it will do any good, but it will make me feel better..

That's a good start. You should also 'cc' it to whoever is in charge of the Ballymun station.

Of course you realise that not all Guards are ignorant.

In the only time that I had to go to a Garda station (to get a form stamped), the Ban Garda at the counter had the personality of a dead fish. She really seemed put out doing me this massive favour. It's a pity really, since the person at the counter is the interface between the 'force' and the public. Anyway, I put it down to her having a bad day and wished her a "Have a nice day", which even irritated her even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Raiser wrote:

1. A man driving his wife who was in labour to the hospital ran a red light in the dead of night on an empty street (instead of waiting for the child to be born into the glovebox) - ignorant guards (who have yet to catch a real criminal in last 2.75 years) dragged him out of car and beat him up as his wife pleaded with them to stop and he begged for her to get treatment [?]

2. Some poor boards.ie poster had the keystone cops kicking in the doors in his house by mistake - reckons there was 40 of them showed up in the dead of night?

P.S. I live in Limerick and in my opinion our local p0leece avoid the lawbreakers to the same extent that I do, ie. as much as possible.

P.P.S Thats not even mentioning the ones mowing people down while re-enacting scenes out of Hillstreet Blues.

God that's dreadful. Fortunately the only experiences I've had with the Gardai have been very positive, in fact they've been extremely helpful. Like all jobs there are bad eggs as well. I hope op gets a reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Some stations are more helpful than others. In the past, whenever I've had to get forms stamped or that sort of thing, I've gone to my local station which is Tallaght. They're ignorant as hell up there. Then a couple of weeks ago when I needed passport forms signed I went to Donnybrook, and the bangharda I was dealing with was lovely. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

Don't think they all are ignorant. From personal experience I find them sound, even after breaking an amber/red light a few times. Its how you talk to them. If you think they are ignorant, go to a 24hour service station at night time, motor bike couriers or bouncers on a night-club door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

got burgled a couple of years ago.. have yet to speak to a Guard... there was on at the scene on the day but i couldnt get there for a couple of hours... went to the station twice and rang 3 times...

each time i got an excuse.. "oh youll have to talk to this guy" and "he is not in till a later shift!

left mobile number twice.. never heard a word since

Conclusion: bunch of lazy good for nothing ignorant cnuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

The majority seem very unprofessional. Be interesting to see how the new immigrant guys get on. I reckon they'll be better than the Irish ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

There is a reason he is in Ballymun station.. All the retarded graduates get sent to places like Store St, Pearse St, Ballymun and Finglas..

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Raiser wrote:

I don't suppose you could provide an ould link to those storys ?

I think the guards in the barracks are like every other customer facing people - some fierce awkward and some nice. When I had to get a passport for my youngest fella the Ban Garda in he local barracks was the dourest person Ihad ever met and was as pernickerty as hell. When we went back a few weeks later to et the forms signed for the second-youngest the guard we met was extremely friendly and was chatting away merrily to the kids..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭mickymg2003

I've never had to deal with ignorant guards myself. They have always been pretty nice although my local garda station is in a small town and its impossible to get a hold of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Raiser wrote:

While I have reservations about the attidudes of our national police force, I would not believe any of the above stories for one second.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

BrianD wrote:
    While I have reservations about the attidudes of our national police force, I would not believe any of the above stories for one second.

while i wouldnt believe the pregnant lady story i'd well believe the second as something similiar happened to my friend in santry two weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

BrianD wrote:

I agree. 2.75 years who hes kidding. Its never that high. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

BrianD wrote:

The story about the pregnant woman was in the paper a week or so ago. Complete misunderstanding, but the neanderthal gardai did themselves no favours.

The problem with the Gardai is that they are not a professional force. They are trained how to enforce law and order, not how to deal with people. Look at the May Day episode a few years back - the Gardai were completely untrained for such an event. In the end, human instinct kicked in - batter the livin' bejaysus out of anyone who wouldn't comply. A properly trained force would have coped much better with such a situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

BrianD wrote:
    the first story is true appeared in papers a few weeks ago i've personally never had any difficulties with the guards but i do think some of them need somr customer service training

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

tom dunne wrote:
    The problem with the Gardai is that they are not a professional force. They are trained how to enforce law and order, not how to deal with people. Look at the May Day episode a few years back - the Gardai were completely untrained for such an event. In the end, human instinct kicked in - batter the livin' bejaysus out of anyone who wouldn't comply. A properly trained force would have coped much better with such a situation.

I agree with you to a point, they don't get the training they need - not only in how to interact with people, but in vital areas like advanced training. Most of the gardai you see doing 160KMPH have no more training than anyone with a full license.

The mayday riots are a different thing altogether. I am pretty sure it wasn't the guards who were smashing in windows of shops and cars etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Soledad

I have a good freind who joined the guards and turned from a normal nice guy into a complete moron who only seems to be able to speak in guard language like they do on Crime Line.
    Any guard I have ever known, either personally, or though interatcing with them for trivial matters such as passports etc, has had the personality of a slug.
    They are so into doing things by the letter of the law (which I agree they have to) that they simply leave no room for a personality.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Lets stay away from the whole mayday riots area,this is Consumer Issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

tom dunne wrote:

Look at the May Day episode a few years back - the Gardai were completely untrained for such an event. In the end, human instinct kicked in - batter the livin' bejaysus out of anyone who wouldn't comply. A properly trained force would have coped much better with such a situation.
    i think that day was handeled perfectly and they got training form the ducth from the euro champinship the year previous (i think) and the results were not as bad as ppl promised and expected!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Soledad wrote:
    I have a good freind who joined the guards and turned from a normal nice guy into a complete moron who only seems to be able to speak in guard language like they do on Crime Line.
    Any guard I have ever known, either personally, or though interatcing with them for trivial matters such as passports etc, has had the personality of a slug.
    They are so into doing things by the letter of the law (which I agree they have to) that they simply leave no room for a personality.

:D:D:D:D:D

I know a guy like that - was in school with him, I met him on the street one night after the pub - I was on coke as driving - said g'luck and turned to my car to pull the ariel up & next thing he'd doubled back to warn me that it was an offence to vandalise a car.....!!!!

- Just looked at him in disbelief and drove off.....

My impression of the guards is a bunch of lads that chased what they perceived to be a cushy pensionable job & thereafter follow up the "cushy" aspect of this religiously, at the taxpayers expense - in both monetary and personal safety terms.

No respect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Soledad wrote:
    I have to say I disagree 100%. I know plenty of people, cousins included, who became Gardai, and with the exception of a brief period just after passing out (when they're eager and inexperienced), they remained the same people they always were, just with more confidence, and the ability to speak with authority in the usual pub debates.

Personally I'd prefer if our Gardai retained their Garda-ishness when the uniform came off, as it shows dedication to purpose of the force.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

seamus wrote:
    Personally I'd prefer if our Gardai retained their Garda-ishness when the uniform came off, as it shows dedication to purpose of the force.
    When they go to take their uniforms off here in Donegal sure all sorts of things like bombs, guns, drugs, forged statements etc, come falling out:D :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

They're a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

muffler wrote:
    When they go to take their uniforms off here in Donegal sure all sorts of things like bombs, guns, drugs, forged statements etc, come falling out:D :D

And that's after getting out of squad cars which have been involved in a hit and run !!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Locked.

This is not going anywhere.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement