Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

087 ready to go roaming in the US query

Options
  • 14-02-2006 6:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭

Folks

Do any of you know if its possible to roam in the states with a Ready to go vodafone - "phone"

Also I have a triband phone.

I spoke to people and some have said yes and some have said no , have any of you done it and how

Thanks Declan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

according to the vodafone website, you can indeed roam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Vodafone do not allow Ready to go customers to roam in the US. If it's a tri-band phone, it will work over there for receiving calls/texts but not for making.

I was in NY in October and I could receive calls and texts but couldn't make or send any. If your phone is unlocked then you could put an O2 speakeasy SIM in it as O2 do allow roaming on pre-pay.

Alternately, you could just buy a cheap throw away pre-pay phone in the US for the time you're there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

from vodafone website:
    http://www.vodafone.ie/roaming/international/prepaid/index.jsp;jsessionid=51DE17AB7607A0124C3C8AAE79514552
    jor el wrote:
    Vodafone do not allow Ready to go customers to roam in the US. If it's a tri-band phone, it will work over there for receiving calls/texts but not for making.

I was in NY in October and I could receive calls and texts but couldn't make or send any.

so the vodafone website is wrong :(

not the first time thats happened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

jor el wrote:

I was in NY in October and I could receive calls and texts but couldn't make or send any. If your phone is unlocked then you could put an O2 speakeasy SIM in it as O2 do allow roaming on pre-pay.

Alternately, you could just buy a cheap throw away pre-pay phone in the US for the time you're there.
    You probably where doing something wrong or not dialling correctly because rtg can roam in US with triband phones.
    Also if you could receive the calls & txts then you should have realised you were doing something wrong when dialling.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

Skyuser wrote:
    You probably where doing something wrong or not dialling correctly because rtg can roam in US with triband phones.
    Also if you could receive the calls & txts then you should have realised you were doing something wrong when dialling.

I was in NY about a year ago, had the same problem (quand band phone, vodafone RTG sim) logged onto network ok, could receive calls, but not dial out.

Got message from US operator that number is not obtainable or something like that

I think I did try prefix 011 353 as well as 00 353 just in case that was the prob, though the +353 in my stored numbers should have been ok.

Maybe Vodafone need to enable some setting for your sim. check before you go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

It can also depend on what US operator you are connected to while in the US. Some don't allow roaming outgoing calls.

But, you should be able to make/receive calls with a Vodafone RTG phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Skyuser wrote:
    It's not that difficult to dial a number on a phone you know, I don't think I was doing anything wrong.

There is a map on the Vodafone website, on the link posted by themole, that shows the areas where RTG roaming is allowed. America is not one of the listed locations and they do not allow roaming there. There are four zones where RTG roaming is allowed:
    Zone 1 UK & Channel Islands
    Zone 2 Near Europe
    Zone 3 Asia, Africa, Middle-East & Australasia
    Zone 4 Far Europe

No US/Canada or any part of America.

I also rang Vodafone about this and they told me to buy an O2 SIM card and use that in my phone when in the US. The gave me the unlock code to the phone in order for me to do this.

It's a simple as this, you cannot use RTG in the US. Ring Vodafone yourself if you like, but they're not going to do anything for you.

Advertisement