Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

contention ratios with eircom packages

• 14-02-2006 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

I'm in the US trying to find out the contention ratios for eircom's various packages (but cant get through to the bloody freephone number from here).

So anyone know what the contention ratios are for
    1. broadband home start
    2. broadband home plus

Fricking NTL (despite saying they have broadband in Glasnevin say they can't hook me up, think I'm a bit too close than Phibsboro?).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

The contention ratio is irrelevant, they all deliver the advertised speed up to what your line can handle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

If you went to Eircoms Web Page you would be able to see what they have on offer.

Check Smart Telecom as well, arguably the best broadband in the nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ro_G

Blaster99 wrote:
    The contention ratio is irrelevant, they all deliver the advertised speed up to what your line can handle.

really? i find that surpising, surely they give you the advertised speed up to what your line can handle relative to how many other people are hanging off the line (hence the contention ratio). Or have they put in masses of backbone now?

If you went to Eircoms Web Page you would be able to see what they have on offer.

been throught the site for over an hour, no mention of contention ratios anywhere. hence the post here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Sorry about that. When you say connection ratio, do you mean the amount of people connected to broadband off the one exchange?

no, contention ratio, not connection ratio. i.e. they give you a line available at 2MB, and divide it up, usually into 24:1 or 48:1, i.e. you share the capacity with 24 or 48 other people.

You'll get full advertised speed minus overheads up to what your line can handle. There might be some exchanges down the sticks where this is not true, but generally there's fibre with tons of bandwidth in the backhaul. I don't think anyone with eircom or any of the resellers ever experience contention. I don't know why they even bother mentioning it. Smart incidently compensates you for the overhead as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

They're 48:1 for the cheapest one and 24:1 for the other ones as fair as I know.

Like Blaster99 said, it's not an issue though. Theres too much backhaul available for it to ever come into play. You'll get whatever your phone line is capable of.

ah fair enough, thanks for that, I've been on cable for so long didn't realise that backbones had gotten so big that contention wasn't an issue on DSL.

I'm in Glasnevin and can't get Smart as I am on the Phisboro exchange, so with out NTL or Smart, I'm down to BT or Eircom, given that I wouldn't touch the wireless options with a stick. ****e state of affairs all together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭dubmick

I girl I know who works for Eircom told me that the contention ratio is actually 1:1 (is this possible?) but the regulator won't let them advertise it. She said they just don't mention in there ads now.

Advertisement