Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chip & Pin - Last day to sign?

Options
  • 14-02-2006 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

Just been reading http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-13506672,00.html

Does this apply only to the UK or is Ireland in on this aswell? Is today the last day you can sign for your purchases if a PIN has been setup on your Credit Card ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

ireland is different there is still a facility in ireland to sign if u dont have ur pin but it is up to the retailer to allow this(the software allows) they can insist on pin but most will not refuse the sale,the reason is because not every place has set up for chip and pin trust me there are a few out there yet so it would be silly to implement pin only
    plus you would be surprised at the amount of ppl who still dont know their pin or have bothered to do a thing about getting it renewed plus some ppl still havent got their chip and pin cards

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I think seller gets charged higher rates if they don't insist on it.

ballooba wrote:
    I think seller gets charged higher rates if they don't insist on it.
    no difference charge by banks remains the same regardless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

The main difference is that the seller will be responsible for the costs of any illegal use so it is in their interest to insist on a PIN unless they know/trust the customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

We had a customer in last week, who , in combination with an inept covering member off staff from another store, managed to block the womans pin(she was sure her pin weas right, even after entering it wrong twice, and he convinced her to try it again) , so anyway, even with the pin enteredwrong 3 times and displaying a message about contacting the bank, the machine still allowed the pin to be by-passedd ad the slip signed, whats the bloody point of that?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Because Chip and PIN isn't fully implemented in Ireland yet. When it is, they won't be able to bypass it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I've seen signs in shops saying that the 14th was the last day to sign. Are you saying that that won't be fully enforced in Ireland for a while yet?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Wasn't aware of that; however the OP said "last week" anyway.

Unfortunately the Chip & Pin site hasn't been updated since March 2005. Go figure.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

in the shop where I work, we have been instructed, where the customer is in possession of a chip and pin card, we cannot allow them to sign for it, it has to be authorised by pin only from Feb 14th. The customer can only sign where their card does not have a chip.

each retailer so far takes the responsability to allow or not allow bypass of chip & pin i'd say 90% of ppl with chip & pin have their pin number but I am not aware of any deadline. Some retailers might have a deadline themselves for the software to finish on a particular day and would ahve sufficent customer information to communicate that fact

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Well there are different interchange rates existing for EMV (Chip&Pin) as far as I know. Whether these are in effect yet I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I heard pin entry won't be compulsory for a few years. USA haven't even started chip&pin yet. Retailer is responsible for fraud if chip&pin card is signed for but can't see smaller retailer refusing sale. I hear loads of people saying " aah I can't remember my PIN, I'll just sign for it" and its never a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

American Express cards still haven't been chipped - so I can't see how they can make the PIN compulsory.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Superquinn's EPOS system is apparently not able to handle Chip&PIN even thought the readers are connected to the registers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

RainyDay wrote:
    American Express cards still haven't been chipped - so I can't see how they can make the PIN compulsory.
    Compulsory for anyone who has a chip&pin card RainyDay.

Advertisement