Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung LE40M51B

• 14-02-2006 9:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭

Hi, thinking about getting this tv in the next 3 weeks or so, just wondering if I am making the right decision?
    I will be purchasing of Komplett for €2199
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=314469&cks=PRL

Also, I will be looking to hook up a good set of speakers to the tv, Is it possible for me to go 5.1 ?? If so, what do you recommed? Dont want to go over €399 in price.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

Personally Id go for a projector they are the best things ever
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=316674&cks=PRL

Trust me.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭maco

I have the Samsung LE40M61B from komplett as well, so far very happy with the quality of the picture . . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭thecutter

plonk wrote:
    Personally Id go for a projector they are the best things ever
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=316674&cks=PRL

Trust me.

Interesting, How are you viewing it.... on what screen ect. Thanks for the help guys!!! keep it coming!!

The 61b version has 5000:1 contrast ratio, whereas the 51b only has 3000:1. This is what is worrying me!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Evil Sausage

Just ordered the LE40M61B myself from komplett last week and expecting it tomorrow. Bought the Samsung HD950 DVD player last month as well, so I'll be hooking it up to the tv via HDMI. I'll let you know what the quality is like when I have it all setup.

From what Ive read on avforums about this tv, is that the sound is incredible by itself even!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭thecutter

Just ordered the LE40M61B myself from komplett last week and expecting it tomorrow. Bought the Samsung HD950 DVD player last month as well, so I'll be hooking it up to the tv via HDMI. I'll let you know what the quality is like when I have it all setup.

From what Ive read on avforums about this tv, is that the sound is incredible by itself even!

Thats the exact dvd player I will be going with myself, I think I may go with the 61b aswell in the end, its €500 more but it does seem to be worth it.
    Let me know how you get on!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

I just have a cheap old projector which you could pick up for around 300 on ebay but its grand for watching films with. Its about 5 years old. Watching anything with a 90 inch screen on your wall makes a huge difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

thecutter wrote:
    The 61b version has 5000:1 contrast ratio, whereas the 51b only has 3000:1. This is what is worrying me!!

I would not be overly concerned about this. These figures are Samsung "Dynamic" contrast - ie the software effect in the screen to appear to give a bigger contrast range. The actual physical contrast is 1000:1 (or perhaps 800:1, can't remember which) and this is pretty much the same across all the different LCD's. All the different brands have somesort of software colour enhancer.

In either case, you will not get anything near that with a projector unless you run it in a (completely) dark room, which for most homes, is not practical.

L.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I have the 26M51B, just got it today. Looks great, Colour is better than the R models anyway.

thecutter wrote:
    Thats the exact dvd player I will be going with myself, I think I may go with the 61b aswell in the end, its €500 more but it does seem to be worth it.
    Let me know how you get on!!

This arrived yesterday and what can I say?!! WOW! Had a bit of trouble with GLS who were delivering it, they said it was too big for the delivery van?!! Turned out to be horsesh*t and it arrived without any real problems!

Its very easy to setup, but the real trick is playing with the setttings. HDMI looks superb, but you can really make a difference by just playing around with the dynamic contast and different brightness/sharpness levels. Still havent managed to find the right levels, but it really is a superb tv. Well happy with the purchase!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭maco

Glad you like it, been enjoying mine for almost 3 months now, so far no problem, I am in the process of wall mounting them . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Does anyone know if samsung have a 40/42" LCD with a resolution of 1920 x 1080 available in Ireland?
    I really want a TV that I can for 1080i and as a monitor! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Macker1

evilhomer wrote:
    Does anyone know if samsung have a 40/42" LCD with a resolution of 1920 x 1080 available in Ireland?
    I really want a TV that I can for 1080i and as a monitor! :)

1080 models are being released later on this year by most of the bigname companies. Holding on myself to see them before taking the plunge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Macker1 wrote:
    1080 models are being released later on this year by most of the bigname companies. Holding on myself to see them before taking the plunge.
    Philips have a couple of them on sale now, I just couldn't see any samsung ones on sale in europe :(

I will just have to wait I guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭zt-OctaviaN

A mate of mines dad got a Samsung and 2 months down the Line the input board has gone kaput and resulted in greyish washed out colours!

Also are all of your warranties invalidated if a screen is NOT installed by a qualified technician. (read the small print)
    Also have you taken heed of Run-In times i.e. dont run the screen at its most optimal contrast and brightness levels particularly for first 50 hours of life, plasmas anyway?
    Be careful!

n

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

A mate of mines dad got a Samsung and 2 months down the Line the input board has gone kaput and resulted in greyish washed out colours!

Did he call support?
    Also are all of your warranties invalidated if a screen is NOT installed by a qualified technician. (read the small print)

I did. You didn't
    Be sure to contact an authorized service centre, when installing your set in a location with heavy
    dust, high or low temperatures, high humidity, chemical substance and where it operates continually
    such as the airport, the train station etc.
    Failure to do so may cause a serious damage to your set.
    Looks pretty straight forward to me. Obviously if you mount it on your ceiling incorrectly and it falls on you in the middle of the night, it's cases like this when we might wonder about the installation method.
    Also have you taken heed of Run-In times i.e. dont run the screen at its most optimal contrast and brightness levels particularly for first 50 hours of life, plasmas anyway?
    Be careful!
    n

It does note it the warranty that screen burn is not covered under the warranty. I'm not aware of any manufacturer that does, are you?
    Warranty
    - Warranty does not cover any damage caused by image retention.
    - Burn-in is not covered by the warranty.

Actually - for all those guys who bought these and similar TV's from Komplett, do you mind telling me how much shipping was? I clicked add to basket once, and once only after seeing their delivery charges! :eek:

MarkR wrote:
    Actually - for all those guys who bought these and similar TV's from Komplett, do you mind telling me how much shipping was? I clicked add to basket once, and once only after seeing their delivery charges! :eek:

Mine only cost 10

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

I got the 32M61 and it only cost 13 euro for delivery...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭zt-OctaviaN

No screen burn seems to be deemed a side effect of so called incorrect usage in the plasma world??

There are several technologies incorporated into plasmas in the last 2 years or so which shifts pixels in other words the image processors can identify static (still) images and fluctuate the brightness of these static pixels so that they dont stay on all the time.

My mates dad was to claim under warranty and attempt to recieve a full reimbursement and source a screen from another supplier but this only happened last week, and since then there was a death in the family so id say I wont here for a while what happens with it but ill post here when I do.

1080i ??? surely there pretty pricey? Has anyone got any prices on these Ill forget sharps range cos there massive money!! saw the 65" aquos in an airport along with the other 5 or so in the aquos range they were all in a glass corridor and all were being fed by their own media storage device displaying some stunning pictures.

Samsung have been getting good reviews on there screens so keep us informed guys on how there shaping up!!

Nick

Easy Rider wrote:
    I got the 32M61 and it only cost 13 euro for delivery...

That's mad. Could have sworn my basket said 500 for shipping! :D

@zt-OctaviaN - Yes, screen burn can be caused by incorrect usage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

MarkR wrote:
    That's mad. Could have sworn my basket said 500 for shipping! :D

@zt-OctaviaN - Yes, screen burn can be caused by incorrect usage.

You're probably right - I was quoted 162.77 for a 37" LCD yesterday, and I emailed to verify the price. Unfortunately it was correct. Mine was to be shipped directly from the Netherlands. Which is frustrating as I'm about 2km from their Irish base in Ballycoolin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Mine only cost 10

How so?

Order ref.:
    Items: €2,199.01
    Delivery: €162.77
    VAT: €409.90
    Total: €2,361.78

How so?

Order ref.:
    Items: €2,199.01
    Delivery: €162.77
    VAT: €409.90
    Total: €2,361.78

This is from my electronic invoice:

Net 2.147,93
    Freight 10,95
    VAT ( 21%): 453,36

Looks like they've changed their delivery policy. I was thinking of one of the LG 37" LCDs that are advertised prominently for 1,666, but including the delivery charge makes it 1,829. Saw the exact same thing advertised for 1,899 in Currys, and while I don't like them, I'd rather pay the extra 70 euro for local backup. Pity.

Looking on the site a little more, some screens are way cheaper for delivery - around the tenner mark - must be sourced locally or they haven't updated some prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,953 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Did a bit of a test on the Komplett site, if I was buying a 32inch screen I get the following shipping options

An Post (3-4 days) 10.5 inc. VAT
    GLS Ireland (3-4 days) 13.25 inc. VAT
    DHL Europlus (2-3 days) 162.77 inc. VAT
    DHL (1-2 days) 400.65 inc. VAT

If I buy a 42 inch plasma my only options are

DHL Europlus (2-3 days) 162.77 inc. VAT
    DHL (1-2 days) 501.05 inc. VAT

So it seems to be down to size or weight

Cheers

Snake ;)

Advertisement