Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last Science Day Ever

Options
  • 14-02-2006 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭

*larryone sheds a tear

='0(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

for you or for always?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

Is that cuz all the sci students realised how stupid it is to leg it round in your underwear begging money off students & interrupting the lectures of final year students with exams coming up?????

Or for some other reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

You sound bitter kittenkiller. Whenever I did the jock walk, (all those years ago before I had bellyflab) one walker would quietly approach the lecturer, apologise for interrupting, and ask if we can collect for charity in the theatre for about 30 seconds. If denied, then the wish was respected. If not, then all hell breaks loose for 30 seconds of flesh and cash buckets and labcoats. If things have changed from this format then it's regrettable. But the jockwalk is 2 days before science day, and is only a very small part of the day as a whole.

I am shedding a tear, because science day had always kicked total ass, been huge ammounts of fun, and last year had raised about 75 grand for childrens cancer research.
    It has been a huge part of the college life of thousends of science students, including me, and I am very sad to see it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

this jockwalk thing you speak of sounds interesting...

why is it sci day gone exactly?

larryone wrote:
    ..because science day had always kicked total ass, been huge ammounts of fun, and last year had raised about 75 grand for childrens cancer research.

It has been a huge part of the college life of thousends of science students..

i agree. i finished last year but science day was always so much fun.

as for the jock walk, its only a minute of your time and all in a good cause :)
    although some people did seem far too eager to bare all :p

• Advertisement

Scraggs wrote:
    this jockwalk thing you speak of sounds interesting...

It was on today!!!! Did you miss it?!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

It was on today!!!! Did you miss it?!:eek:

yes totally ragin now...

although i did make a snowman this morning...

nope still doesnt make up for it

Was this snowman a semi-naked Hoff?

If not, the Jock Walk was much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭sephirosis

Sci day sounds like a laugh alright...what kind of things are going on? I vaguley remember seeing the posters around the sci building but cant remember what was on them >_<

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Does anyone know anything about this world record attempt thing for Science Day, incidentally?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I've no idea what they did this year.

It's a real pity to see Sci-Day go... no more Dr. Salthouse (he blows **** up!), no more candyfloss, no more randomly-coloured fruit juice cocktails, no more bungee run...

*sheds a tear*

Dr. Salthouse kicks ass...

"Liquid oxygen is one of the most explosive things known to man. They dont let maniacs like me carry it around, eapecially not on flights. So I make my own. And here's how..."

& his catchphrase:
    "And now, we're going to set fire to it."

He doesnt let people sit in the first 3 rows of the theatre when he's doing his show. Not so much that they might leave without eyebrows, but because they might leave with their ears bleeding from the sound of the explosions...

I shall miss him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭sephirosis

Does anyone know anything about this world record attempt thing for Science Day, incidentally?

Something to do with hugging and the central bank I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

why was it cancelled?
    so many institutions of UCD seem to be ending just as i arrive :(

There's no more science faculty.
    Aparently that's a reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

screw that! there should be a science day anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

ah man that sucks i have so many memories from doing the jock walk (well we did it drag instead of boxers) in first year, to doing steward and then finally security in the bar (which was cool). Also there was the getting drunk alot to.

I have to say i think i might shed a tear aswell. Actually no i won't cause that would be a bit sad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

All i remeber from my pre med sicence days is there was a mad scientist guy who used to help out in the labs-uhh what was his name?is he still there?was it jerry?

I remeber one day we came out of a tutorial and he rounded about 10 of us up,the luck ones escaped.Then preceeded for an hour to talk about liquid nitrogen and how you should always stay in touch with your parents when at college??!!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Wasn't the Science Day world record that girl kissing people on Grafton Street? She didn't quite make it, as far as I remember, but it made national news etc. That was kind of cool.

I've heard bad things about involvement tactics from Science students, and I don't agree with that. But it was good for raising money for charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Blush_01 wrote:
    Wasn't the Science Day world record that girl kissing people on Grafton Street? She didn't quite make it, as far as I remember, but it made national news etc. That was kind of cool.

Yea but apparantly she got a ton of cold sores after! YUCK!!

• Advertisement

panda100 wrote:
    All i remeber from my pre med sicence days is there was a mad scientist guy who used to help out in the labs-uhh what was his name?is he still there?was it jerry?

I remeber one day we came out of a tutorial and he rounded about 10 of us up,the luck ones escaped.Then preceeded for an hour to talk about liquid nitrogen and how you should always stay in touch with your parents when at college??!!:confused:

Yes it was Jerry. He does that quite a bit. Lovely guy, but very very odd.

I was just briefly speaking to peadar, who's on the committee this year (could be chairperson, cant remember)

There will be a petition (that I for one will be signing) outside the science canteen tomorrow all day so you can let the decision makers know that killing science day is bad and evil.

*larryone attempts to drum up some support

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Well I for one will be signing said petition. I've got 2 years left here after this, and I'd like to think that for one day a year we can go mental in the name of charity.

larryone wrote:
    Dr. Salthouse kicks ass...

"Liquid oxygen is one of the most explosive things known to man. They dont let maniacs like me carry it around, eapecially not on flights. So I make my own. And here's how..."

& his catchphrase:
    "And now, we're going to set fire to it."

He doesnt let people sit in the first 3 rows of the theatre when he's doing his show. Not so much that they might leave without eyebrows, but because they might leave with their ears bleeding from the sound of the explosions...

I shall miss him.

he is fantastic!!! i was so annoyed last year, the queue was so long, & then they shut the doors practically in my face and i didnt get to see him :( woulda been queueing except they promised us if we went to some stupid thing in a different theatre wed have no problem getting in. lies :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

For the record, the jock walk is actually a few days before science day. I went to see Dr. Salthouse today and took some videos on my phone. Get the videos here. They can be played without sound on free media players like VLC or MPlayer, with sound on quicktime.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

those programs sure don't like softice:mad:
    EDIT:
    think it's just the codec pack...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Syth wrote:
    For the record, the jock walk is actually a few days before science day. I went to see Dr. Salthouse today and took some videos on my phone. Get the videos here. They can be played (without sound on free media players like VLC or MPlayer, with sound on quicktime).

*Sigh* Typical nerd.... got the vids of some loony blowing up shit but not a single pic of a hottie in her knickers.... :p

(Dr S. rocks! Always tried to get in the front row for his show)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

It should be kept, I'm in radiography and we're not technically allowed to get involved med day despite the fact we're in the same school as them as we're never allowed off lectures by the physiology people. They apparently do not see us as being in the med school so screw us, not too fun. Hence to actually have a day is great so it should stay.

Advertisement