Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cost of bumper and bonnet

Options
  • 14-02-2006 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi

Anyone got a rough idea of the cost of a front bumper and bonnet for a fiat punto?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

For anyone to know they will need to know the year, ie if it's the 2000ish model or the mid 90's one.

You would be best going to a scrap yard and picking one up rather than going the dealer route. If you can find one the same colour of your car it will save money on the need for a respray. As far as I know a new one from a dealer will come primed and need to be sprayed the colour of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭smree

Thanks

It's a 1999 punto. The car is already with a garage. I though that it would just need some panel beating to straighten out the bonnet. I've now been told that I need a new bonnet & bumper. So I'm a bit worried about price.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Scrappy job.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

i wouldn't buy the car until they fixed it up perfect, shouldn't be more than €3500 for a 99 Punto in great cindition anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Hate to say it but that's what you get for driving a green car.

Stay away from them things. Remember Green cars = bad, any other colour = good.

PS Me grandad was killed when driving a green car, so obviously nobody in my family was allowed to drive one again. But I've also met other people who will not drive a green car.

• Advertisement

Never heard that before about a green car! Have heard that white cars seem to be involved in the most accidents. Not sure how true that is though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

My mother always says green for grief. My dad came home after buying a green car once and she went nuts. He crashed it a few weeks later.

OP it's cheaper to buy a new bonnet than pay for a panel beater to do a job on it

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Green cars are involved in more accidents than any other colour statistically.

Something to do with other drivers not seeing them early enough, due to the colour blending into the countryside.

Strange but true.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Ring Traynors (number in Golden pages under Car Dismantlers) and ask for price of bonnet and bumper for Mk1 Punto. I doubt the parts would be more than €100.

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Traditionaly for the Irish green is a cursed colour which is strange when you consider how its been adopted by the Irish people.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

what did you do to the car anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

weird cos green is the colour the human eye is most aware of as it is right in the middle of the visible spectrum

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Green cars are involved in more accidents than any other colour.

“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.” -- Homer J. Simpson
    Something to do with other drivers not seeing them early enough, due to the colour blending into the countryside.

Strange but true.

LOL :D

On topic: Don't know how much it will cost, sorry..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

If thats a plastic bumper it could probably be heated, filled, sanded and resprayed. However, it would probably be cheaper to just buy a new bumper :)

I got a bumper for my Rover 200 for about 50euro from Traynors, and 90euro for a bonnet.

Didnt come primed though, just bare plastic/metal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Ring Traynors (number in Golden pages under Car Dismantlers) and ask for price of bonnet and bumper for Mk1 Punto. I doubt the parts would be more than €100.

'cptr
    Oh, I hadn't looked at the pic - the bumper doesn't look too bad but you didn't mention the headlamp was 'modified'. I'd still advise you to ring Traynors and also get a couple of quotes for the repair from different garages

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Did you drive under the back of a truck or something? How come the damage only starts at a certain height?

ballooba wrote:
    Did you drive under the back of a truck or something? How come the damage only starts at a certain height?

Drove into a concrete pillar. Twas the first time I drove the car:( Put my foot down heavy on the accelerator instead of the break!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

...and who has'nt done that?!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kdevitt

mike65 wrote:
    ...and who has'nt done that?!

Mike.

Its unfortunately quite a common occurance from what I've been told - my first car was written off on the Delwood Rd in Dublin 15 by a woman pulling out of a cul de sac doing the exact same thing. My dad was driving the car and was lucky enough to escape with only a few broken ribs and deep lacerations, even though three cars in total were written off.

To the OP - try www.micksgarage.com for prices - they're quite competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Wickla in Blaa

Thanks for telling me about this whole "green car" thing before i bought one!!
    Checkout your local breakers yard, I recently needed a radiator and a few bits and pieces, new they were going to cost 590 euro but picked them up in 2 different breakers yards for 155!!!

Micksgarage.com is allright aswell if ya need to buy something

• Advertisement

Thanks guys. THis could be an expensive lesson.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

smree wrote:
    Never heard that before about a green car! Have heard that white cars seem to be involved in the most accidents. Not sure how true that is though.

Thats because people feel the need to take cheap drivers who wont shell out for metallic paint off the road.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

smree wrote:
    Thanks guys. THis could be an expensive lesson.:(

The shock and expense is a good experience. It will make you a more careful driver hopefully when you get going. Everyone makes mistakes at some point.

The shock and expense is a good experience. It will make you a more careful driver hopefully when you get going. Everyone makes mistakes at some point.

Yeah you're right. The only thing is that it's really put me off driving as you realise the damage you can do other cars, people etc and it only takes one mistake. I'm taking lessons in dual control car and I really feel that I'm back at square one as I'm so nervous.

Garage has picked up the car but haven't rang me to tell me the cost yet:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

A small accident earlier in your driving career might save you a big one later on - I think it makes you that bit more aware of your own vulnerability.

I made the same mistake 2 weeks after I started driving (a car came raound a corner toward me on the wrong side of the road, I panicked and hit the accelerator, and scraped the car against the wall). Gave me a fairly healthy regard for my own stupidity/incompetence, and I've managed (very luckily) to keep it between the ditches since!

So good luck with the learning! (or was it that you had just changed the car and weren't used to it yet?)

Thanks Fey. Yep I'm still a learner.

Ended up a very expensive lesson 1296!!!

Advertisement