Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea's Pitch.

• 14-02-2006 11:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭

Is it another "dirty trick" or are they entitled to try and get the edge over Barca?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Nah, they don't have the money to fix it. Players were asked to bring turf from their own backyards :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Can we all cast are minds back to two seasons ago , when the field was 95% sand.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

It really is an awful pitch, worst in the Premiership for me with only Fratton Park coming close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Well, Wigan got a slating for theirs as well over the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Stick on SS1 now and see what a pitch should look like.

It's obviously just to throw a curve ball at Barce. I'd say it'll be sorted after that. It's in a shocking state though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

The pitch will affect Chelsea aswell, and it shouldn't be allowed what they are doing.

Messi will still be able to dribble on it though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

There really should be sanction by the Prem of FA for such a mess, worlds richest club has worlds worst top level pitch. Yet as mentioned the Pool turf (in a wetter climate) is pristine by comparison.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Kingp35 wrote:
    It really is an awful pitch, worst in the Premiership for me with only Fratton Park coming close.

whats the story with the humps in the goal areas at frattan park? that always wrecks my head, its hardly just the camera playing mind games with me is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

whats the story with the humps in the goal areas at frattan park? that always wrecks my head, its hardly just the camera playing mind games with me is it?
    I always notice that it wrecks my head also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Plenty of Premier League pitches are in atrocious states at times. But I suppose its Chelsea so we better have a pop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

i think it may be for drainage reasons...................

even portsmouth have tried to relay their pitch lately and they are probably only receiving a tenth of what chelsea get............

as stated above they did it 2 years ago, i think it was against charlton. chelsea all wore astro-style boots as they new the pitch was mostly sand, and poor old charlton played in their football boots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭SCULLY

mike65 wrote:
    There really should be sanction by the Prem of FA for such a mess, worlds richest club has worlds worst top level pitch. Yet as mentioned the Pool turf (in a wetter climate) is pristine by comparison.

Mike.

Yep - it’s Chelsea so they should be fined!!!

The club has always had a turf problem - am not a horticulturist so don't know why this is but have followed them for so long that I am used to seeing such a crappy surface during second half of season.

Don't think that they have deliberately let if get into this state so as to affect Barcelona - it's not as if Chelsea are solely a hoof and run team.

On a side bar to the discussion - if people believe that Chelsea have deliberately let the pitch deteriorate to aid them should they be fined? - and if so, what about teams that heavily water a pitch or cut the grass tight or leave it long in an attempt to gain an advantage???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Another lets have a pop and Chelsea debate. Can anything be said in football these days without having a go at Chelsea or blaming them in some way?

Almost all pitchs in the premier league are woeful at the minute. Have you seen the state of Old Trafford recently? The problem is that Chelsea have an underground heating problem, its too close to the surface and so cracks the pitch when its on for extended periods of time. They tried to redemy it the summer after the Charlton beach footie fiasco but it has not fully resolved the issue as there is still a lack of airflow getting to the pitch. They missed the boat a few weeks back about relaying it but in truth the relay wouldn’t have taken anywhere near as well as we all expect. The weather is not good at the moment for relaying a pitch anywhere in England. There isn’t a good mix of rain and sun in order to do it so its not going to settle well.

In either case, how will a bumpy pitch disrupt Messi and Ronaldinho? They learned how to play footie on a beach in bear feet for gods sake!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

iregk wrote:
    Another lets have a pop and Chelsea debate. Can anything be said in football these days without having a go at Chelsea or blaming them in some way?

Well considering their pitch is the worst in the premiership bar none, whats your problem? Its bloody awful and lower league clubs pitches are not even that bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The United pitch plays very well.
    Its an interesting debate, United often water their pitch and let the grass go longer to play a more fast paced game, is that not cheating as much as Chelsea are doing?

While there should be min standerds for a pitch, which I'm fairly sure there are, until those standerds are raised, its kinda silly to talk about fines, like they'd effect CHelsea anway :rollleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I think whats annoying Barca is they are only going to take steps to rectify the pitch after the Barca game!

Pure coinicidence of course the timing of the rumours coming out of Chelsea of a £30m bid for Etoo.
    :D

No conincidence at all rooster. Very same thing happened last year. Week before the game Eto o in 30m switch to Chelsea... its history repeating itself.

My problem kingp is that everytime anything lately in football happens Chelsea's name is associated. Then because they are associated a sinister angle must exist! Maybe just maybe the pitch is bad, maybe they couldn't get it replaced. But no this is Chelsea so it must be some devious plot to kill off Barca, despite the fact that its a two leg game and the 2nd leg is in the Camp Nou:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Apparently Silvinho believes the conspiracy

http://www.football365.com/teams/chelsea/story_177110.shtml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭damienom

Watched the game against Everton last week, the bobbling that was going on when SWP went at speed with the ball was something else! Chelsea have a history of a brutal pitch since they expanded the stadium, apparently it cut the sun to the ground.

Don't Man U have problems with mice or rats and the pitch as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

I just think it's a crying shame. It's now gonna be Chelsea and Barcelona versus the pitch :rolleyes: It's got **** game written all over it. I do think it'll stifle Barcelona more than Chelsea, one would have to be cynical about the condition of the pitch and how it's gotten so bad.

• Advertisement

damienom wrote:
    Don't Man U have problems with mice or rats and the pitch as well?

No that was Ronaldo!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Lol..............:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

'Chelsea's pitch has been deteriorating for several months but for the first time in four years they have opted not to relay it in mid-season, a decision that has been noted with dismay in Catalonia.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

seems pretty suspect to me. i read it in the paper and duely noted that they would decide on the pitch's future after playing barca...
    and with the antics chelsea get up to, theres a reason people are more suspicious of them

also, i'd be more inclined to expect one of the top sides in europe to have a significantly better pitch than relegation candidates. not even mentioning the money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Check google earth.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

The reality of it is folks pitches of top clubs around Europe have been in woeful condition before, and will be again.

The San Siro and Old Trafford, to name two, are both pitches that have been in in complete states over the years.

Give the Chelsea bashing a rest.

Well said turkey.

Also mike, that picture was obviously taken when the pitch had been removed and the process of being relayed was underway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

I read that this is the first time in 6 or so years that chelsea have not relaid the pitch in the dec/jan period. Now there is some reason why it hasn't been improved and the fact that, it's not only dangerous, but makes watchin football on it s**te makes all the chelsea bashing perfectly legitimate.
    This reminds me of last year's chelsea/barca match when all the focus on the match build up was on Anders Frisk and not the teams.

Yeah and anyone notice how all the noise this year is coming from the Barca camp? Oh no were not mentioning that. If it was all from the Chelsea camp however there would be outrage...

• Advertisement

they're hardly gonna complain about their own pitch. and there is noise about eto'o coming from chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

I
    This reminds me of last year's chelsea/barca match when all the focus on the match build up was on Anders Frisk and not the teams.

that might have had something to do with his undisguised attempt to ensure barca progressed and chelsea didn't, his , inappropriate , meeting with Rijkaard at half time ( since confirmed ) and his alledged death threats, which came from him, not chelsea or barca.

he sent himself death threats:eek:

perhaps you didn't quite follow, HE ( as in Frisk) was the one going on about the death threats, not Chelsea or Barcelona.

He may well have sent them to himself too or imagined them , as he was the only witness and there was no police investigation into the alledged threats from chelsea fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Well Chelsea or Barca are hardly gonna go harping on about death threats to the ref, are they?

And seeing as he retired over them, it's a tad unrealistic to say he made them up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

growler wrote:
    that might have had something to do with his undisguised attempt to ensure barca progressed and chelsea didn't

what ****e.

If he really didnt want chelsea to qualify he could of easily done. Drogba sending off wasnt that harsh. Jose needed to whinge about something though.

• Advertisement

what ****e.

If he really didnt want chelsea to qualify he could of easily done. Drogba sending off wasnt that harsh. Jose needed to whinge about something though.

In fairness, the Drogba sending off was ridiculous.

Stekelly wrote:
    In fairness, the Drogba sending off was ridiculous.

It was harsh, but name me a team who have never had a harsh sending off against them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

iregk wrote:
    Well said turkey.

Also mike, that picture was obviously taken when the pitch had been removed and the process of being relayed was underway.

you dont say

It was harsh, but name me a team who have never had a harsh sending off against them?

But the question was of a ref who was being called into question. You can't excuse eveything by saying "sure it happened to someone else too"

Stekelly wrote:
    But the question was of a ref who was being called into question. You can't excuse eveything by saying "sure it happened to someone else too"

So why didnt the ref rule of jonh terry's 4th goal for chelsea if he didnt want them to win? there was a definite case for it being ruled out. If the ref really wanted chelsea to lose, they would of lost, simple as.

• Advertisement

county wrote:
    you dont say

Swear to god mate I do. Go back and re read my post if you dont believe me!

Ruskie, Chelsea have said nothing at all about Etoo. They never mentioned bidding for him or never mentioned any interest in him. When Barca and Etoo came out and said it they haven't even responded yet.

Also as has been rightly said, Chelsea nor Barca said anything about death threats on Frisk. The fact that also Roma fans held banners up at their league game saying Death To Frisk after what happened in the olympico not give anyone a clue? But no, everyone blamed Chelsea.

Frisk never said where he recieved death threats from he just said that he had recieved them. To be fair, not saying it was made up I believe they were real, but Frisk has always been a ref that enjoyed the spotlight. As Eamonn Dunphy once said: "look at him with the buttons undone, hes a bit of a lad this ref, he fancies himself" I think the threats came from the Roma fans and Frisk noticing the stage was suddenly bigger after the Barca situation and decided to exit while the spots lights were on.

So why didnt the ref rule of jonh terry's 4th goal for chelsea if he didnt want them to win? there was a definite case for it being ruled out. If the ref really wanted chelsea to lose, they would of lost, simple as.

I never said the ref wanted Barce to go through or that he cheated. My only comment on the subject was that teh sending off was well harsh, which I stand by.

well, Frisk, who refed the 1st leg and seemed to be in favour of Barca progressing would have been quite happy with the 2-1 result, the referee for the second leg, at Stamford Bridge was some unknown baldy fella called Collina and no one has suggested that he sought to unfairly influence the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

"The pitch? We change it on Sunday after the game," he joked to Sky Sports News. "The game finishes at 6pm. I hope at 6.30pm, the machinery goes in to change and leave the perfect pitch for Barcelona.

"You think it's true?! No, the only thing I can say is we are top of the league in terms of football. If you have the championship of pitches, we are in the first half in The Premiership.

"What I want to say is, in this country, in The Premiership, you have a minimum of ten pitches like our pitch or worse. Sunderland is worse. Middlesbrough is worse. Everton is worse.

"Old Trafford, I don't know now, but it was worse when we played there, yet everyone speaks about Chelsea, you know. It's good to speak."

Mourinho accepts the criticism of the state of the champions' pitch is valid but thinks there is too much focus on the Premiership leaders.

"No, I think the criticism is fair," he stated. "The pitch is not good. We know the pitch is not good, we don't need you to tell us, we know.

"But it's not possible to improve, the only thing we can do is take care of it as best we can.

"This season, we have had not one single training session at Stamford Bridge. Only once for photos for kids and supporters, in the summer, after that, not one single training session. We used to train before Champions League games in Stamford Bridge, we don't do it. We train here on Tuesday and we want the pitch the best we can.

"Barcelona can think what they want," he argued. "But I think we can analyse things very well.

"We have no technical players, we have no skilful players, we have the kind of player who kicks the ball and runs.

"[Arjen] Robben, [Damien] Duff, Shaun Wright-Phillips, [Frank] Lampard. We have no technical players because we have no technical players. We need a potato field, so we play in a potato field."

I just love the way he acts, its great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Dock them 20 points for the PL, kick them out of Europe and make Mourinho do Community Service the Swines........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

i second this motion

BaZmO* wrote:
    Dock them 20 points for the PL, kick them out of Europe and make Mourinho do Community Service the Swines........

It's teh only sensible thing to do

the man is pure class.

Advertisement