Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avg no plans on shared servers?

Options
  • 14-02-2006 11:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know on average how many hosting plans reside on hosting providers shared servers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

An average from most/all providers would be in no way indicative of reality, tbh.
    Ask several providers their average (directly)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I'd say only steve365 and Blacknight will be able to give you accurate answers on this, and even then they'll only be able to talk about their own services, which will not really be indicitive of an actual average.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

democrates wrote:
    Does anyone know on average how many hosting plans reside on hosting providers shared servers?
    On all hosters or any hoster in particular?

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

It depends on:
    - the type of plans (how much traffic they are generating etc)
    - server hardware

A dual xeon with 4GB of RAM can take a lot more than a celeron etc, but even a celeron could host quite a few sites if they were low traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

The type of hosting plan is irrelevant

Usage is the thing

If you put 200 static brochure sites generating little or no traffic on a "decent" server it will barely register a load

Put one or two CPU intensive sites on the same hardware and you will see a totally different load

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Blacknight and hosting365 are the two of prime interest. I've a mix of customers, one with fair mail activity (quotas full at ~400Mb) and a simple php template site. But others are tiny.

It looks like a good idea to mix these on a reseller account, but then most of these customers don't need control panels bristling with options many of which they don't understand, and these seem to be required for each resold domain (ignoring subdomains here). I'd rather have one admin panel for myself to take care of the lot for my small customers, some of whom have never been online, and don't really need to be, it's just another marketing facility. I'm finding it hard to get to grips with what way to tackle this.

One of the things I find a bit meh in general is that for sole traders who want their own domains with a few static pages, monthly transfer of 250MB on a good month, and no email requirement (most want to drive calls to their mobiles and aren't going to check email every day), even the smallest hosting plans come with a load of features that are not required, and I can only assume that's priced in.

Closest fit I've seen yet is soho nix from blacknight, but it's a reseller version of this I'm after, that will allow me to cut their facilities right down to what they want, admin their domain names and set up their sites, as well as having the odd big customer with their own control panel. Anyone know of a suitable solution? Quite possible I've completely missed one.

That's what got me thinking about a dedicated server where I could pile on as many sites as I like, a few big and a lot of small, and I was wondering about how many hosting providers managed to share on a server. Of course even the basic dedicated servers are pricey, I'd want a lot of customers to justify that tack.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

democrates wrote:
    Well it wouldn't be an average but it could be done. For Irish hosters, it would be relatively trivial. But on a global basis, it is a bit more complicated. I'm working on a website upgrade that will provide the hosting history of every Irish hoster and part of it shows how many aliases a nameserver IP has. This can be a fairly good indicator as to the number of resellers are on a hoster when correlated with IP range ownership. I'll post the URL later this week when the work is complete. (the Irish section covers approximately 3500 hosters. The global section covers around 1.2 million hosters.)

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

jmcc wrote:
    Well it wouldn't be an average but it could be done. For Irish hosters, it would be relatively trivial. But on a global basis, it is a bit more complicated. I'm working on a website upgrade that will provide the hosting history of every Irish hoster and part of it shows how many aliases a nameserver IP has. This can be a fairly good indicator as to the number of resellers are on a hoster when correlated with IP range ownership. I'll post the URL later this week when the work is complete. (the Irish section covers approximately 3500 hosters. The global section covers around 1.2 million hosters.)

Regards...jmcc
    Cheers, that sounds like major kettle!

Advertisement