Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting weird speeds on 2nd pc? help

• 15-02-2006 12:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,529 ✭✭✭

I use 2 pc's not networked, 1 downstairs, other upstairs, I am with BT so use that zyxel usb moded. Win xp pro on both but one downstairs is newer and I have Mcafee stuff on free offer. Upstairs the little icon when I log on always shows 3mb speed but the one dowstairs fluctuates between 3, 2,6 and now it is 2.5. I have 3 little dial up icons on taskbar, one is BT the other has a yellow exclamation mark and the 3rd has a red cross on pc downstairs.

What, if anything, am I doing wrong? Mcafee keeps d/l updates at all times and I am asked to re-start. etc.

Thanks for any help. All I want is to have it showing 3mb like the other one.

gbcullen

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

Is there any chance the pc downstairs is being fed dsl through a filter? That would explain the lower sync.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

GBCULLEN wrote:
    I use 2 pc's not networked, 1 downstairs, other upstairs, I am with BT so use that zyxel usb moded. Win xp pro on both but one downstairs is newer and I have Mcafee stuff on free offer. Upstairs the little icon when I log on always shows 3mb speed but the one dowstairs fluctuates between 3, 2,6 and now it is 2.5. I have 3 little dial up icons on taskbar, one is BT the other has a yellow exclamation mark and the 3rd has a red cross on pc downstairs.

What, if anything, am I doing wrong? Mcafee keeps d/l updates at all times and I am asked to re-start. etc.

Thanks for any help. All I want is to have it showing 3mb like the other one.

gbcullen
    I'm confused. How do you mean you're using 2 pc's and their not networked?
    Are you using 2 BB modems?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,529 ✭✭✭swoofer

I did have both connecting at 3mb and yes I am using 2 BB modems. I just disable the one I am not using. Its a long story and I am moving in the next century the way things are going so I am not interested in setting up a network. Its 2.6 now. To be honest I can live with it but just intrigued it is happening as I am not doing anything. I think its mcafee slowing me down.

I have filters on both.

gb--

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

GBCULLEN wrote:
    I did have both connecting at 3mb and yes I am using 2 BB modems. I just disable the one I am not using. Its a long story and I am moving in the next century the way things are going so I am not interested in setting up a network. Its 2.6 now. To be honest I can live with it but just intrigued it is happening as I am not doing anything. I think its mcafee slowing me down.

I have filters on both.

gb--
    Remove the filters on the modems and plug the directly into the phone socket. Make sure the modem thats not being used is disconnected from the phoneline.
    Is the slower modem plugged into an extension socket rather than the main Eircom socket?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,529 ✭✭✭swoofer

an update, thanks all for replies. I logged back on today and it is now showing 3mb d/l!! I did not do anything.

weird

gb--

• Advertisement
Advertisement