Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we suppress the Irish language.. ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭KateF

Ehhh wait now. :confused: No, wait...I'm STILL confused....15% of you voted to ban the Irish language from the state?!? Why? Why?! Wait now :confused: eh ya, why? Get some pride!! For Gods sake

KateF wrote: »
    Ehhh wait now. :confused: No, wait...I'm STILL confused....15% of you voted to ban the Irish language from the state?!? Why? Why?! Wait now :confused: eh ya, why? Get some pride!! For Gods sake

Banning it may cause the biggest revival of all times!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭KateF

Banning it may cause the biggest revival of all times!!

Hmm ;) Good point there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Star20

Tá Gaeilge líofa agam ón cliabhán agus is breá liom mo teanga dúchas a labhairt gach uile lá ó maidin go h-óiche...

Ba cheart don Rialtas béim níos mó a chuir ar an d-teanga sula mbíonn sé ró-dhéanach. Tá mise chun Gaeilge go h-iomlán a labhairt dtí mo chlann agus tá siúl agam go bhfuil níos mó daoine amuigh ansin á dhéanadh an rud céanna!

Gaeilge Abú agus ar ndódh Co.Phort Láirge abú...

Star20 wrote: »
    Tá Gaeilge líofa agam ón cliabhán agus is breá liom mo teanga dúchas a labhairt gach uile lá ó maidin go h-óiche...

Ba cheart don Rialtas béim níos mó a chuir ar an d-teanga sula mbíonn sé ró-dhéanach. Tá mise chun Gaeilge go h-iomlán a labhairt dtí mo chlann agus tá siúl agam go bhfuil níos mó daoine amuigh ansin á dhéanadh an rud céanna!

as Bearla freisin, le do thoil!

not all of us have good Irish ( I don't).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭dee8839

I think the basics of what he/she said was that (s)he "is fluent in Irish and loves speaking his/her native tongue from morning to night. The government should put a bigger emphasis on the language before its too late. I'm going to speak Irish to my family more and I hope more people out there will do the same. Irish forever (well, abu, whatever that translates as literally) and of course Waterford forever!" (No accounting for taste!)

Think thats the basic idea but thats from memory as I can't see the post now so not certain!

I don't think its a good idea to stop Irish from being compulsory in school. I appreciate that its not taught very well, and needs to be modernised, but there are too many kids out there who are not very academic or are a bit lazy about school and want to cruise through getting the maximum results with the least amount of work. And Irish takes work.

I think that I might not have chosen it as an LC subject had it been optional, simply because I needed very high points and there were subjects I could have taken instead which would reap bigger awards with less effort. I got my honours A1 but god I worked for it. Some people would not bother to work that hard if they didn't have to, regardless of their like or dislike for the language itself.

I love Gaeilge, I think its lyrical and musical, and very handy for commenting on people when abroad!!:cool:

Reform, certainly. But not optional, please!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Permit me to translate...

I have a loaf of Irish with me on my head and I like it good to speak to everybody each morning and each night.

It's right that the rules get bigger to put our language before we are too late. I have Irish a lot good (speaking) to my family and I know that there are people outside of now that are doing the right thing.

Hurray for Irish and definitely hurray for Port Laoise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

An bhfuil tú as Phort Láirge (cathair nó contae?) Bíonn mé féin agus cupla daoine eile amach gach Déardaoin ag caint as gaeilge. Aon suim agat? Ar aon nós, ceapaim go bhfuil an teanga ag teacht ar ais.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

What sort of ignorant fu<ker would vote for option one?

In my opinion it is English that is the inferior language. Gaeilge is just less spoken. And if you are one of the people that add to Gaeilge being less spoken than English why should you care. Does it bother you that signs are in both languages? If it does you must have a great life if something as trivial as a sign can allow you to formulate the opinion that we should banish Gaeilge.

Irish people amaze me. We are a tiny country but yet we have one of the most interesting history and beautiful languages in the world and feck all people embrace it. I reckon most Irish people wouldn't give a fu<k if the GPO turned into a McDonalds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The Irish language is being surpressed by the moderators of the Gaeilge forum on Boards.ie

I asked a question one time, and got banned from it.

• Advertisement

What was the question Des?

dlofnep wrote: »
    What was the question Des?

Something about an Irish language radio station I found online a while back.

Meh, the attitude of the Gaelgeoirs that time put me right off.

It's like a closed club over there, a little secret clique who don't want new members, and if that is the attitude of Irish speakers, then I hope the language is put out of it's misery sooner rather than later.

I'm sorry to hear that man. They shouldn't have banned you for asking a question. Most people I'v met through learning Irish have been encouraging and helpful. They are not all like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gino85

i think irish should be encouraged but not forced, i dislike where in secondary schools you have to take irish and another language, instead of that it should be irish OR the other language, im ashamed to say but for my JC i passed french and failed irish, i even hated my french teachers guts but the way she taught us most of the class passed french.

when i was watching in the name of the fada i was ashamed that i couldnt speak irish and i dont have the time because of work and the like to learn it

when i have kids im gonna try and encourage them to learn it, its something we should be proud of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gino85

I reckon most Irish people wouldn't give a fu<k if the GPO turned into a McDonalds.

the day that happans is the day im handing in my irish citizenship and leaving ireland forever

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

I voted for option one only because it is closer to how i feel than than the other options. That said it is still very far from the mark, maybe i should just not have voted.

I do feel that 3 languages should be taught in secondary school. English and two others. Now from the two others i feel we should have a choice of spanish, chinese, german, french and irish. While Irish might be patriotic and what not to know, it's not going to help students much in today's business world but the option should be there i guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Language is a tool, and English does us just fine. At least we can talk to the rest of the world. Perhaps instead of compulsory Irish we should learn French, German or even Esperanto. .

Esperanto...why?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭mollydolly271

I would love to speak irish fluently and like to throw an odd irish word in here and there GO RAIBH MAITH AGUT:D

Des wrote: »
    Esperanto...why?

So we can finally make peace with the Esperantinians.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

I hated Irish in school. Absolutely loathed the time I'd to spend on it and how difficult I found it.

I blame the curriculum though because I studied French for half the time and had a real love of it.

Now I would love to be able to speak Irish but at the moment the way it's taught seems to produce a major dislike and disinterest for many students.

Until it's reformed I don't see it becoming a modern European language when most of the population don't seem to be able or even want to be able to speak it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

I'm not arsed reading the rest of this thread so i apologise if this has been bought up before but we should at least make it an optional subject for students and not compulsury. I hate the ****ing language cos it was forced into me and I've made absolutely no effort to keep learning it since I've left school. I could have sit a different subject and gotten more points in the leaving etc... but instead had to sit a language i was terrible at. I don't see how it's a requirement for colleges either (apart from irish language courses), especially for computer science :confused: The language will probably do better if students are given the option and want to learn it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Archeron wrote: »
    A Chara.
    Like most other people, I didnt like Irish in school, but I think what I disliked most was the way it was taught. Now, many moons after leaving school, I'm sorry i didnt pay more attention, as I do truly think that Irish is a beautiful language that should be protected and used as much as possible. Nothing makes me smile more that hearing my fellow Paddies using Irish in everyday life, and while it doesnt happen often, it does happen occasionally.
    +1 to this.
    Sleepy wrote: »
    As an aside to my last post, if anyone can present a sensible, logical argument for the continued state-funding of Irish, I'd be interested to hear it.
    Stephen wrote: »
    tba: The only compulsory subjects at leaving cert level are English, Irish and Maths, so your talk about the "cull" is rather inaccurate.
    Like it or not, English is the language that the vast majority of the country speaks day to day, and is pretty much necessary to get by. Maths is simlarly useful in varying capacities for all manner of careers.
    Irish, however, is spoken as a first language only by a tiny minority. It gets disproportionate amounts of time and money spent on it. Sure its part of our culture and heritage and all, and if you want to learn it, good for you. Just don't try to cram it down everybody's throat.
    Well if they stop making English compulsory I'd be happy for Irish to be non-compulsory ;)
    Terry wrote: »
    as for the Irish language, it's one of my biggest regrets in life that i can't speak my native language. a different teaching method may indeed be needed.
    Again I share the same view.

Here's my story:

In primary school the teachers didn't challenge us, they 'got through' the required time for teaching Irish. At Secondary school we were expected to dissect novels, plays and poetry in much the same way and level of detail as we were in the English class. I didn't have the vocabulary or the grammar to do that. :(

Then I went to Uni, forgot about Irish and was delighted. In 2004 I moved to Cambridge, my wife works on a campus where there are many Europeans, Middle-eastern and Asian people. Our large group of friends include Austrian, Swiss, German, Greek, French, Dutch, Persian, Swedish, Indian and British people.

They are all fluent in their languages and we regularly hear them speaking to their compatriots in their own language. On a number of occassions my wife and I have been asked about the Irish language. Some of our friends didn't even realise that there is an Irish language.

They have asked us to speak Irish for them and we string a few sentences together about what we had for breakfast, washing our faces, brushing our teeth :o

It's embarrassing not being able to speak Irish fluently. When we do speak Irish to our friends they think it sounds like a wonderful language and far more 'interesting sounding' than English. They ask why we don't speak it, why we as a nation aren't proud of differentiating ourselves from England and their language. We have to explain the history and the current poor state of the teaching curriculum.

I am trying to improve my Irish but it's harder over here. I watch my friends converse easily in their language and think, that's what sets the Portugese apart from being Spanish, it's defining. Irish culture is being eroded all the time, like many cultures across the world but at least those places still have their languages to define them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

No

r3nu4l wrote: »
    It's embarrassing not being able to speak Irish fluently.

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

They have asked us to speak Irish for them and we string a few sentences together about what we had for breakfast, washing our faces, brushing our teeth :o
    Heh, reminds me of this...

Sure it's all we need really.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Why?

Let's see now, because the teachers I had and the nature of the course-work was so stultifyingly unstimulating that despite having learned the language from the age of 4 to 17, my French language skills were better on leaving school than my Irish. That has something to do with it. Also, when we explain this to our friends, they are shocked at an Irish education system that would allow this to be the case.

EDIT: I'm also embarrassed that I didn't make more effort at school but sure when your that age you think you know it all and have some sort of life experience under your belt. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

leave as is, you cant put more money into it, thats just silly. There are allot more things in this country that need more money. Language? spending money on that is a luxary

Let's see now...

I don't see why you should be embarrassed by a systemic failure that wasn't your fault or for not taking responsibility for your education whilst only a teenager.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Why Esperanto? Well, maybe one day the whole world will speak the same language... makes sense that it would be this one. Could be English though.

As for Irish being a 'beautiful' language - how can a language be beautiful? It's a means of communication. How is one language more or less beautiful than another, if they both do the job?

At the moment, Irish is only spoken by a few hundred thousand people, and there's no great need to learn it. The world needs fewer languages, not more.

Advertisement