Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we suppress the Irish language.. ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Typical conversation between Irish person and foreigner.

Foreigner: Where are you from?
    Paddy: Ah Ireland
    Foreigner: Cool.
    Paddy: Yup.
    Foreigner: Can you speak gaylick?
    Paddy: Ah only a little bit.
    Foreigner: Do they not teach it in school?
    Paddy: Oh they do..
    Foreigner: But only for a year or two right?
    Paddy: No... pretty much for 13-14 years.
    Foreigner: Did you not grow up in Ireland?
    Paddy: I did.
    Foreigner: So why can't you speak gaylick?
    Paddy: Cos the educational system is terrible.
    Foreigner: LOL.. Sure, blame the education.
    Paddy: No srsly..
    Foreigner: LOL right..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Continuing on from that conversation, it is either the educational system and or people simply couldn't be arsed learning it, as by and large it's pretty useless as a day to day living language. If the foreigner was Italian would you ask him if he could speak latin, after all I'm sure they teach it in schools and it is his ancient language.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

dlofnep wrote: »
    Foreigner: So why can't you speak gaylick?
    Paddy: Cos the educational system is terrible.
    Foreigner: LOL.. Sure, blame the education.
    Paddy: No srsly..
    Foreigner: LOL right..

Well if that's their attitude about something they know nothing about they're only displying their own ignorance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

r3nu4l wrote: »
    It's embarrassing not being able to speak Irish fluently. When we do speak Irish to our friends they think it sounds like a wonderful language and far more 'interesting sounding' than English. They ask why we don't speak it, why we as a nation aren't proud of differentiating ourselves from England and their language. We have to explain the history and the current poor state of the teaching curriculum.

Sooooo a bunch of people you met living in Cambridge have shamed you into learning a language with no pratical application?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Sooooo a bunch of people you met living in Cambridge have shamed you into learning a language with no pratical application?

If you want to look at it that way my cheesy friend then go right ahead. ;)
    For me, since I moved to this country I've become hugely aware of how different Irish people are on the whole, to English people and how different Ireland is to England, despite the many, many similarities. I enjoy the differences, I also envy those who can speak their national languages fluently and as Irish is one of our national languages I'd like to be able to speak it fluently, I'm reminded of that when I mix with others of different nationalities and as I do so on a regular basis, I'm reminded of my inability to speak Irish fluently on a daily basis. You got a problem with that hombre? Does my life concern you so much? :p

I'm proud of being Irish and of the Irish language, your trite cheese-laden summaries are of little meaning to me. :p

• Advertisement

I would consider being able to have a conversation in Irish as practical.

If you want to look at it that way my cheesy friend then go right ahead. ;)
    For me, since I moved to this country I've become hugely aware of how different Irish people are on the whole, to English people and how different Ireland is to England, despite the many, many similarities. I enjoy the differences, I also envy those who can speak their national languages fluently and as Irish is one of our national languages I'd like to be able to speak it fluently, I'm reminded of that when I mix with others of different nationalities and as I do so on a regular basis, I'm reminded of my inability to speak Irish fluently on a daily basis. You got a problem with that hombre? Does my life concern you so much? :p

I'm proud of being Irish and of the Irish language, your trite cheese-laden summaries are of little meaning to me. :p

It was a long post, i just wanted to be sure my summary was correct.
    It's as good a reason as any to do something pointless, i suppose.

Also two cheese based puns in one post, you sicken me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I would consider being able to have a conversation in Irish as practical.

Beyond having secret conversations out loud in front of nonspeakers á la teachers in primary school, I can't see the practical benefit. I've never come across anyone who only spoke Irish and couldn't converse with me just as well in English.

It would be nice to be able to speak Irish and I get a small kick out of speaking what little Irish I can when abroad, but there's not much practical benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Could'nt give a ****e about the Irish language tbh. It's use and non-use doesn't affect me in the slightest.

Ah, but if you lived in the land of cheese you would be reminded on a daily basis of how important it is to be cheesy and how most of your posts contain little to no cheese content and thus amend them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭KateF

It only has "no practical application" because of the lack interest/funding and mainly the history behind why we started speaking English as our first language in the first place. But isn't this what a lot of people would like to remedy? If everyone had the same opinion as yours, then Irish language would become non-existant, which I guess is what you want.

I would love for Irish to be Irelands first language. However in this day and age I really don't see it as a realistic possibility for Ireland...ever

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

It was a long post, i just wanted to be sure my summary was correct.
    It's as good a reason as any to do something pointless, i suppose.

Also two cheese based puns in one post, you sicken me.
    Hardly pointless oh cheesy one *HELP - I can't stop* :(
    Example, myself and mrs r3nu4l were discussing something on the train to London on Saturday when we realised that the nosy cow opposite was listening in so we switched to Irish (pidgin Irish with atrocious grammar :(). That sorted her out good and proper, she couldn't make head nor tail of what we were saying. :cool:

So I say that the sooper-seekrit-Irish-spai language is great and should be employed regularly when travelling or living abroad. It's very practical!!

EDIT: The truth is Earthhorse, I love cheese!! Cheese and onion crisps are my favourite, last night for dinner I had tuna and pasta bake with home-made cheese and mustard sauce. I had cheese on my lunch today...I think I found the source of my weight gain!

Example, myself and mrs r3nu4l were discussing something on the train to London on Saturday when we realised that the nosy cow opposite was listening in so we switched to Irish (pidgin Irish with atrocious grammar :(). That sorted her out good and proper, she couldn't make head nor tail of what we were saying. :cool:

So I say that the sooper-seekrit-Irish-spai language is great and should be employed regularly when travelling or living abroad. It's very practical!!

Lets be fair, chances are that any language other than english would have worked, like say.... french. (The english are almost as bad as us for learning more than one language)
    And if you wound up in paris you'd be able to interact with all the people there as a bonus ontop of keeping the colour of your spare room a secret from bored people on a train.

Hardly pointless oh cheesy one *HELP - I can't stop* :(

You sir, are now my enemy.
    I will fight you until the end of time if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

I haven't read through the posts so this may have been said already. There should be another option on the poll. No need to ban it, and don't leave it as it is. Definitely don't increase funding. There's too much money wasted in this country already.

It should be left alone and without further financial support. If people want to speak it, let them buy the books and learn it. Don't teach it in school, it has been proven time and again to be a waste of effort and resources. We need to learn other languages, and by other I mean useful. We should be learning Spanish, French or even Chinese (we'll need Chinese) from the time we start school and not wasting our breath on hokey, redneck crap spoken primarily by muck shovelers in a bod in the arsehole, and kids of preppy bitches who are delivered every morning to their over-funded Gaelscoil. If the language dies, good enough. It's a waste of money. It's only a language ffs, and one that the vast majority of people in this country do not identify with.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

KateF wrote: »
    It only has "no practical application" because of the lack interest/funding...
    Lack of funding? Are you serious?

There is little interest in learning the language because there is little practical benefit, not the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ast

Ban English from the State and enforce Irish as the main language.

Now there is something that I would vote for.

Like many people, I didn't like Irish in school, mostly because I knew I would never use it outside school. Like other subjects some teaches were good some were bad, but it was all irrelevant. I have never encountered any situation where I was glad to have some Irish.

If it is good enough to force people to learn the language in school then I think its good enough to force people to actually use what they have learned after school.

EDIT: The truth is Earthhorse, I love cheese!! Cheese and onion crisps are my favourite, last night for dinner I had tuna and pasta bake with home-made cheese and mustard sauce. I had cheese on my lunch today...I think I found the source of my weight gain!

Oh, sure. Why can't you just come out and admit you're an anti-cheesite? Yeah, you like cheese but you want it to have a different section in the shop. When you have cheese in your house you put it on the coldest shelf in the fridge. Nothing personal, just trying to be "practical". Pull the other one.
    ast wrote: »
    If it is good enough to force people to learn the language in school then I think its good enough to force people to actually use what they have learned after school.

Or...or...if it isn't useful enough for people to keep up after school it isn't useful enough to be taught in school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Was just about to compose an amusing paragraph in English & have it translated into Irish using Babelfish http://babelfish.yahoo.com/

But curiously 'Irish' is not on their list of international languages, so I cant translate it, which leads me to wonder what Brussels make of us & our raft of Irish translators in the European parliament . . .
    (translating only 30 minutes of Irish during the whole of last year)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Star20

An bhfuil tú as Phort Láirge (cathair nó contae?) Bíonn mé féin agus cupla daoine eile amach gach Déardaoin ag caint as gaeilge. Aon suim agat? Ar aon nós, ceapaim go bhfuil an teanga ag teacht ar ais.

Dia dhuit, ar dtús is cailín mé tá mé 19bliana deag d'aois. Tá mé i mo chonaí sa gaeltacht anseo i bPort Láirge tá a fios agut fhéin cá bhfuil sé!
    Cá mbuaileann sibh go leir lé chéile ar an Deardaoin? Ba bhreá liom teacht anuas chun casadh libh má tá mé in ann! An grúpa óg sibh?
    Tar eolas go léir dom mais é do thoil é! ;) Tá an ceart agut tá sé ag teacht thar ais buíochas lé gach duine ata á labhairt ach caithfear níos mó a dhéanamh ceapaim!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Star20

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Permit me to translate...

I have a loaf of Irish with me on my head and I like it good to speak to everybody each morning and each night.

It's right that the rules get bigger to put our language before we are too late. I have Irish a lot good (speaking) to my family and I know that there are people outside of now that are doing the right thing.

Hurray for Irish and definitely hurray for Port Laoise.

Total wrong translation but all the more power to you for trying...:)

• Advertisement

For those of you trying to follow dlofnep and Star20's "secret" conversation...
    An bhfuil tú as Phort Láirge (cathair nó contae?) Bíonn mé féin agus cupla daoine eile amach gach Déardaoin ag caint as gaeilge. Aon suim agat? Ar aon nós, ceapaim go bhfuil an teanga ag teacht ar ais.

Are you out of Port Laoise (thrown or lost?). Myself and a couple of other selves are out out Wednesday talking about us. Any money on you? In anyway, I think the language is tracking back on us.
    Star20 wrote: »
    Dia dhuit, ar dtús is cailín mé tá mé 19bliana deag d'aois. Tá mé i mo chonaí sa gaeltacht anseo i bPort Láirge tá a fios agut fhéin cá bhfuil sé!
    Cá mbuaileann sibh go leir lé chéile ar an Deardaoin? Ba bhreá liom teacht anuas chun casadh libh má tá mé in ann! An grúpa óg sibh?
    Tar eolas go léir dom mais é do thoil é! ;) Tá an ceart agut tá sé ag teacht thar ais buíochas lé gach duine ata á labhairt ach caithfear níos mó a dhéanamh ceapaim!

God's gone, and you're calling me these nineteen red years. I'm comfortable in this part of Port Laoise and it's beneath you to find where is it?

What do you all mean by saying Wednesday? This bra that I have back has been thrown limb from limb with me in it! That young group of lads?

There's an onus on everbody dumb if you please. :mad: You have the chart and it's coming back back with joy to everyone with a book but throw more needs to forget remembering.
    Total wrong translation but all the more power to you for trying...:)

Go raibh maith agat.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Or...or...if it isn't useful enough for people to keep up after school it isn't useful enough to be taught in school.
    Pretty much sums up the entire argument for me.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Pretty much sums up the entire argument for me.

Well, I agree in part (with someone who's agreeing with me?!?). What I mean is, I don't think everything in school need have a real practical use, we should teach things of cultural value or interest too, but, in this regard, Irish is the biggest offender in terms of how much time is spent on it and how much it counts for.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

If you insist on posting as Gaeilge, you will post an accurate translation too.
    /end.

Karoma wrote: »
    If you insist on posting as Gaeilge, you will post an accurate translation too.
    /end.

Did you not see my posts?

Tar eolas go léir dom mais é do thoil é! ;)

Ah gabh mo leithscéal. Ní raibh a fhios agam.. Táim 25. Buailimíd sa Gingerman Bar.. Tá sé in aice leis an Supermacs. Tá tú sa Rinn, sea? Dala an scéal, Níl gaeilge líofa againn.. ach tá gach daoine ag tabhairt.. Tosaigh mé ag foghlaim Gaeilge anuraidh :) Cuirfidh mé PM agat!

(For the rest. She said "Firstly, I'm a girl. She's living in the gaeltacht and she was wondering where we met up every thursday for gaeilge and that she would like to come. She asked if we were a young group of people. - I replied where we meet up, where it was.. I asked her if she lived in Ring (local gaeltacht).. And that we (the group) did not have fluent Irish, but that we are trying and that I started studying Gaeilge last year).

Hope that keeps you out of the dark! :) I'm not fluent myself. Still learning.
    Tá an ceart agut tá sé ag teacht thar ais buíochas lé gach duine ata á labhairt ach caithfear níos mó a dhéanamh ceapaim!

Cinnte!

Are you out of Port Laoise (thrown or lost?). Myself and a couple of other selves are out out Wednesday talking about us. Any money on you? In anyway, I think the language is tracking back on us.

I said I was from Waterford (Port Láirge.) And that I meet up with some people every thursday to speak Irish in a pub :) I asked her if she was interested in joining us. I also said the language is coming back. :)

I said I was from Waterford (Port Láirge.) And that I meet up with some people every thursday to speak Irish in a pub :) I asked her if she was interested in joining us. I also said the language is coming back. :)

That's what I said.

<_<
    >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It should be optional, if culture is the sticking point, then we should make history compulsary and not Irish. You get far more in the history course about what it means to be Irish then you get when learning Irish.

I do think we should be taught another language at an early age (french for example), when we are most receptive to other languages, but half the problem with Irish, is that by making it compulsary, people hate it, especially if they are not much good at it.

I'd all be in favour of making Maths and English non compulsary also, as long as the third level courses were the ones who could make the decision on their entry requirements (and I bet 99% would require Maths and English, including vocational).

It's also freaking hilarious that a bunch of people here realised they loved Irish AFTER they no longer have it forced upon them, yet still aren't fluent in it. Do they not see that forcing it on them at a young age, might have been a big part of their lack of learning Irish?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Atari Gaeilgeor?

Advertisement