Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheney shooting saga continues.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

CORPUS CHRISTI - His face was marked with nicks and bruises and his voice was a little raspy.

But attorney Harry Whittington was all grace Friday as he described himself a lucky person and issued a sincere apology to the man who accidentally shot him — Vice President Dick Cheney.

"My family and I are deeply sorry for all that Vice President Cheney and his family have had to go through this past week," Whittington said. "We send our love and respect to them as they deal with situations that are much more serious than what we had this week.

"We hope he will continue to come to Texas and seek the relaxation he deserves."

After a six-day recovery from the shotgun blast, which also caused a minor heart attack, Whittington checked out of the Christus Spohn Hospital Corpus Christi-Memorial on Friday afternoon and returned home to Austin. He was shot during a quail hunt Saturday on the 50,000-acre Armstrong Ranch in Kenedy County.

Standing ramrod straight and looking dapper in a charcoal blazer, grey slacks and tie, the 78-year-old Austin lawyer spoke briefly before he left. He gave no details of the incident but said it was an accident.

Eyewitnesses have said Whittington left a group of hunters, including Cheney, to retrieve two downed quail. As Whittington started to return to the group, Cheney turned to fire his 28-gauge Italian shotgun at a quail flying in Whittington's direction. He peppered Whittington's face, neck and chest with a spray of small birdshot at a range of about 30 yards, witnesses said.

Whittington indicated that being hit by stray birdshot is an inherent risk in hunting.

"We all assume certain risks in whatever we do, whatever activities we pursue, and regardless of how experienced, careful and dedicated we are, accidents do and will happen and that's what happened," he said.

During his hospital stay, Whittington battled not only scores of wounds from the shooting but the minor heart attack, which was controlled with medicine. Whittington still carries dozens of shotgun pellets embedded in his head, neck and chest, including the pellet that moved into his heart muscle.

In his remarks to reporters, Whittington lost his composure only briefly, when he thanked the hospital staff for the "exceptional care he received during his recovery."

He also apologized to reporters for making them wait.

"I regret I couldn't have been here earlier so you could see what a lucky man I am," he said.

"I also thank all of you for understanding as best you can that medical attention is very important to someone my age — and you haven't failed to give my age," he added.

Cheney, speaking Friday to the Wyoming Legislature, talked briefly about the shooting, saying he had had a long week.

"Thankfully, Harry Whittington is on the mend and doing well," Cheney said.

On Thursday, the Kenedy County Sheriff's Department said its investigation of the shooting was closed, and no criminal charges would be brought. "This was just a mere hunting accident," said Chief Deputy Gilberto San Miguel.

But the criticism has continued over how the shooting was made public. Cheney waited a day to tell the media, and then did so by allowing one of the ranch owners to call a local newspaper.

The vice president has publicly described the shooting only once — in a television interview with Fox News.

Katharine Armstrong, the ranch's co-owner who witnessed the shooting, admonished the news media for how it has handled the incident.

"I'm so upset with the press corps — the whole group needs a sound thrashing," Armstrong said. "These are people of the highest integrity — and the media put them through a meat grinder."

Armstrong was at Whittington's house for his arrival Friday about 5 p.m. Sitting in the front passenger seat of a green SUV, Whittington smiled and waved to reporters as his car went into the garage.

One of Whittington's daughters, Sally May, said her father was resting but doing well after the 217-mile drive home from Corpus Christi.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/3668578.html

now i don't know about the rest of you, but if somebody shoots me in the face, i would expect an apology from them. hmm. seems that being VP of the usa means you are always in the right, even if you do shoot someone.

yes, it was an accident, but if i accidently cause someone to have a minor heart attack i will apologise to them and not the other way around.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I wouldn't be surprised if Cheney made an apology to him in person.

Rovi, I'd submit that the National Guard link is extraneous: They use the same manuals as the Army.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Advertisement