Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe places to lock a bike? specific and in general

Options
  • 15-02-2006 10:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

Where are safe places to lock a bike? Especially on say a saturday night where it is not the risk of theft but rather vandalism, (seeing bikes with kicked in wheels for no reason really disgusts me)

In dun laoghaire I locked it in st michaels hospital, there is a bike rack there and it is near a outdoor smoking shelter so there should be people there most times. It is fairly hidden from the road so drunks should not be wandering past it and give it a kicking.

In blackrock I have locked it to railings in the church, again hidden from general view. I have also locked it right outside the garda station.

Where in dublin city centre is safe? I was thinking trinity college during the day, but what time does it close to the public if you did want to stay late?
    Is there a garda station in town where you could lock it? Or any other place that is safe?

Another place I have locked bikes is in 24hour petrol stations, locked in view of the till operator, people would presume the owner of the bike is in the shop, if nobody is in the shop they may think it is the till operators bike and not go near it.

I have also locked it outside pubs where smokers are since people are unlikely to vandalise or try and steal a bike there, it is possible that one of the smokers owns it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Robin1982

Outside Pearse St Garda Station on bike racks - never had any trouble there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭randomname2005

ruprect wrote:
    Where in dublin city centre is safe? I was thinking trinity college during the day, but what time does it close to the public if you did want to stay late?
    Is there a garda station in town where you could lock it? Or any other place that is safe?
    Trinity is the last place to lock a bike, especially if it is a nice one. After about 6/7 there arent many people around and the bike theft rate is quite high.

It stays open until 11.59pm

As Robin said, pearse st garda station might be the best place.
    R

Advertisement